• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I will get writing my Graham Thorpe review in the next week, got coursework to do should be doing it now :ph34r:

archie mac

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I will get writing my Graham Thorpe review in the next week, got coursework to do should be doing it now :ph34r:
Have not even seen that one yet on the book shelves here in OZ, so will be a good preview
:)

open365

International Vice-Captain
I'm nearly finished reading Beyond a Boundary and i must say for all the political stuff i don't understand, it has some of the best descriptions of players and cricket in general.

The chapter about cricket being an art form is simply beautiful.

open365

International Vice-Captain
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I was goin to read that, but thought it would just be the story of how his marrige ruined his life, which i don't want to read about.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
'Being Freddie' has been voted the best sports book of the year.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very enjoyable read (because I'm a burger-munching, beer-swilling Pom), but of the 5 cricket books I got for Christmas, I put it third.

archie mac

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
'Being Freddie' has been voted the best sports book of the year.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very enjoyable read (because I'm a burger-munching, beer-swilling Pom), but of the 5 cricket books I got for Christmas, I put it third.
What were the other books Santa gave you Eddie?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The Shane Warne guide to relationships.
The Ricky Ponting guide to captaincy.
The Duncan Fletcher book of smiles.
The Richard book - "how to admit you might be wrong"

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I did enjoy Rod Nye's book on Martin Donnelly - I'm possibly biased because I played rugby with Rod's son when I was a kid. Unfortunately, Rod died a couple of years ago from a brain tumour in his 50s.

Other books I've enjoyed are Richard Hadlee's Rhythm and Swing - a comprehensive autobiography from Hadlee and Richard Becht. Includes a good summary of the great 1980s allrounders - Hadlee, Imran, Dev, Botham and Rice.

Cricket From The Grandstand by Keith Miller was a pretty forthright book for its time, too.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
archie mac said:
What were the other books Santa gave you Eddie?
Duncan Fletcher's one, Michael Vaughan's one, Ian Stafford's one and last year's Wisden.

The last one was rubbish - no Ashes.

I wish I'd got Marc's list.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
The Shane Warne guide to relationships.
The Ricky Ponting guide to captaincy.
The Duncan Fletcher book of smiles.
The Richard book - "how to admit you might be wrong"
Brilliant !!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
We have reviewed the new book by Peter Roebuck click here

And remember if you would like to review a book we would love to hear from you:)
I am just reading David Lemmon's Cricket Mercenaries - Overseas Players In English Cricket. Will review it when I am through.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
foxymfc said:
I am reading Many a slip by Gideon Haigh.

It is a really good account of a club cricket season. I am sure that most club cricketers could relate to most of it.
Think I might have played against Gideon Haigh about 4 years ago. Definently played against a lower grade South Yarra side.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
Bodyline Autopsy by David Frith is excellent as is Corner of a foreign field by Ramachandra Guha, its about indian cricket and how it and india developed together.

archie mac

International Coach
crickhowell said:
Bodyline Autopsy by David Frith is excellent as is Corner of a foreign field by Ramachandra Guha, its about indian cricket and how it and india developed together.
Great books both, I thought about a review of the latter, but it would be a big task because of the amount of information :wacko:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Which one did you rank 1st Eddie?
I thoroughly enjoyed Duncan Fletcher's book - mainly because I used to be a coach and placed a huge emphasis on continuity and positive thought processes myself.