• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

stumpski

International Captain
Just snapped up another on ebay: 'Runs in the Memory' by Stephen Chalke, about 1950s county cricket (won't appeal to younger reader perhaps - they can keep their Freddie and KP autobiogs I reckon). Managed to foil a counter-bidder who put in his opening (and only) bid just 12 seconds before the expiry time. Don't you hate people who do that? Obviously timed so the other bidder doesn't have time to react. Fortunately I had clear blue water between his bid and my max so I got it for a fiver. Almost paid a dealer £16 for it last week. :)

Another title not, as yet, reviewed on here - but I'll see to SFB first.

archie mac

International Coach
Maybe you should have posted a link! :D

For future reference, by the way, what's the maximum number of stars?
5 stars is the most, I am yet to award one the highest mark. I have just reviewed the John Mayor effort, but still can't get the photo up yet. Just purchased a new printer so should have it up soon. But you can still have a look at the review.:happy:

Just snapped up another on ebay: 'Runs in the Memory' by Stephen Chalke, about 1950s county cricket (won't appeal to younger reader perhaps - they can keep their Freddie and KP autobiogs I reckon). Managed to foil a counter-bidder who put in his opening (and only) bid just 12 seconds before the expiry time. Don't you hate people who do that? Obviously timed so the other bidder doesn't have time to react. Fortunately I had clear blue water between his bid and my max so I got it for a fiver. Almost paid a dealer £16 for it last week. :)

Another title not, as yet, reviewed on here - but I'll see to SFB first.
Good get, I have read that, it is a great book, he is one of my favourite writers, I have his bio of Tom Cartwright, will read it soon:)

And yes I hate when people swoop in at the last moment:@ But have done it many times myself:ph34r:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Just finished "Lillee", which is, unsurprisingly, an autobiography of the same. Not bad, plenty of interesting material to work with, although the writing is by no means brilliant. One bit I liked was when he in his random-thoughts style chapter on the state of the modern game (in 2003) suggested that fast bowlers must be careful of what supplements they take as they could contain nandrelone.

Also reading Bob Simpson's "Captain's Story" on the train in the evenings. Interesting - jeez test cricket must have been a stodgy affair back in the day. Worth reading for his thoughts on Ian Chappell's future as an allrounder, his description of Doug Walters as a reserved, quiet young man (pre his reform by the Army) and his glowing praise of Bob Barber's batting. Also interesting to read about his effort with Bill Lawry to take singles at every possible opportunity, and how thoroughly he felt this had stunned the English team. You can see even in this book written in the 1960s the basis for the Aussie teams approach to this over the last twenty years.

Gideon's "Silent Revolutions" is next, before "Trumper" by Mailey.

And no Archie, I'm afraid beyond the above, I don't have time to do a proper review of either.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Just finished "Lillee", which is, unsurprisingly, an autobiography of the same.
Innit called "Menace"?

his description of Doug Walters as a reserved, quiet young man (pre his reform by the Army)
The first such description of the man that I've come across.

Much as I love Haigh's work, I've been in a wholly depressed fame o'mind lately. I really must get my hands on Mailey again...[/QUOTE]

neville cardus

International Debutant
Anyone, by the way, ever read one of Harry East's ostensibly brilliant anecdotal works on Yorkshire cricket and cricketers?

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Lillee's book is titled Menace

A funny piece there about the folks who put up Dougie Walters in their home. One day they came out to see Walters practise. When asked why they were there, they replied that they wanted to see what he looked like.

What do you mean, asked some of the cricketers, he stays with you.
Yeah, they replied. But he comes in late at night and leaves mid-day, so we never get to see him.

archie mac

International Coach
Just finished "Lillee", which is, unsurprisingly, an autobiography of the same. Not bad, plenty of interesting material to work with, although the writing is by no means brilliant. One bit I liked was when he in his random-thoughts style chapter on the state of the modern game (in 2003) suggested that fast bowlers must be careful of what supplements they take as they could contain nandrelone.

Also reading Bob Simpson's "Captain's Story" on the train in the evenings. Interesting - jeez test cricket must have been a stodgy affair back in the day. Worth reading for his thoughts on Ian Chappell's future as an allrounder, his description of Doug Walters as a reserved, quiet young man (pre his reform by the Army) and his glowing praise of Bob Barber's batting. Also interesting to read about his effort with Bill Lawry to take singles at every possible opportunity, and how thoroughly he felt this had stunned the English team. You can see even in this book written in the 1960s the basis for the Aussie teams approach to this over the last twenty years.

And no Archie, I'm afraid beyond the above, I don't have time to do a proper review of either.
Is the Simpson effort a first edition? If not he was forced to delete the chapter in which he suggests that Meckiff not only chucks but knows he does. I have not read that book for many years, but I remember (I think) he lists Boycott as one of the new exciting fast scoring batsman

archie mac

International Coach

A funny piece there about the folks who put up Dougie Walters in their home. One day they came out to see Walters practise. When asked why they were there, they replied that they wanted to see what he looked like.

Yeah, they replied. But he comes in late at night and leaves mid-day, so we never get to see him.
You have to love the Doug:D

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer

Doug Walters - the last of the amateurs - made it look easy - his idea of a warm up was throwing a couple of darts at the dartboard with a cigy hanging out his mouth. How would he handle the fittness regimes of today?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Innit called "Menace"?
[/QUOTE]

He has more than one autobiography. Menace was, I believe written while he was still playing or soon after he finished up. "Lillee" was co-authored/ghosted by a different collaborator and was published in 2003. It includes stuff about his comeback to FC in the late 80s, the MRF pace foundation and his views on players up to the modern day including McGrath, Lee and Akhtar.

Matt79

Global Moderator
his description of Doug Walters as a reserved, quiet young man (pre his reform by the Army)
The first such description of the man that I've come across.
[/QUOTE]

I've heard previously that Dougie was a teetotaller and a somewhat reserved, not quite shy, country lad when he first arrived on the scene. To quote Ian Chappell, "he emerged from two years national service a thoroughly reformed character", ie. the Walters of legend.

Matt79

Global Moderator

That Walters anecdote made it into the later Lillee autobiog as well. I haven't read Menace, but I'm guessing quite a few of the stories have been recycled. Its the same bloke ghosting who did autobiogs with Viv Richards and Sobers several years after their initial autobiographical offerings (ie. after Hitting Across the Line, and Sober's books written while he was playing) - Bob Harris maybe - I could get up and check, but I'm too lazy.