• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

archie mac

International Coach
Although Low's prose is far more sensitive, endearing me a lot more to the subject, I have to say that I prefer Rae's (although, admittedly, I'm not that far into it). I'm a shameless nerd, you understand, so the detailed completeness of Simon's work really appeals to me.
I also read the Low one first, and can't recall learning anymore from the Rae book, except some more detail on the youngest Grace GF, which was very interesting:)

The Rae one did win cricket book of the year though:cool:

neville cardus

International Debutant
I also read the Low one first, and can't recall learning anymore from the Rae book, except some more detail on the youngest Grace GF, which was very interesting:)

The Rae one did win cricket book of the year though:cool:
Detail-wise, Archie, Rae's book is streets ahead in every respect. Look up something in Low's, and you'll generally get about half of what you'd pick up from Rae's. What stands out most for me in the latter is the account of Grace's early days, placing them in their historical context and busting a few embroidered myths. There can't have been a more thorough Grace biography than Simon Rae's, and I can't imagine there being too many more.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Detail-wise, Archie, Rae's book is streets ahead in every respect. Look up something in Low's, and you'll generally get about half of what you'd pick up from Rae's. What stands out most for me is the latter's account of Grace's early days, placing them in historical context and busting a few embroidered myths. There can't have been a more thorough Grace biography than this, and I can't imagine there being too many more now.
True, but I already new alot about 'The Grand Old Man' so did not learn any new stuff from the Rae book. They both uncovered the assault Grace made on a teenage boy, and was later covered up.

But Yes you can't see anyone doing a better job than Rae:)

neville cardus

International Debutant
Well, I haven't quite got that far yet -- I'm still in 1865 --, but I couldn't resist a spot of speed-reading which took me through the parts that mattered. I'm tackling the book in earnest now and enjoying it thoroughly.

I'm surprised that you didn't learn anything new from it; I didn't know, for example, about the court case in which Grace's paternal grandfather was enmeshed, albeit posthumously -- I think.

archie mac

International Coach
Well, I haven't quite got that far yet -- I'm still in 1865 --, but I couldn't resist a spot of speed-reading which took me through the parts that mattered. I'm tackling the book in earnest now and enjoying it thoroughly.

I'm surprised that you didn't learn anything new from it; I didn't know, for example, about the court case in which Grace's paternal grandfather was enmeshed, albeit posthumously -- I think.
Yes I learned some new things, but not much tbh, still well worth a read:)

Days of Grace

International Captain

Really? I'm reading the same book and am on the exact same year as you. That's uncanny. Race you to the finish (you'll probably win though). :)

Isn't it funny that all three Grace brothers started their first-class careers with ducks.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Archie,

Do you by chance offer some of these older books for sale? Not an attempt at circumventing any forum rules, I assure the mods. I'm just wondering.

archie mac

International Coach
Archie,

Do you by chance offer some of these older books for sale? Not an attempt at circumventing any forum rules, I assure the mods. I'm just wondering.
No, not really, I mainly collect, I do have a few doubles that I can sell at a nice price:)

pasag

RTDAS
Bought Cricket Kings today, saw Archie gave it a good review in the book review section as well. Seems similar to The Vincibles, which I enjoyed so looking forward to this one.

archie mac

International Coach
Bought Cricket Kings today, saw Archie gave it a good review in the book review section as well. Seems similar to The Vincibles, which I enjoyed so looking forward to this one.
The big difference is that CK is a work of fiction, but I still enjoyed it:)

stumpski

International Captain
I bought this biography of the great SF Barnes today from the book stall at Canterbury. I see it hasn't been reviewed here yet so I'd be happy to do that once I've read it. :)

archie mac

International Coach
I bought this biography of the great SF Barnes today from the book stall at Canterbury. I see it hasn't been reviewed here yet so I'd be happy to do that once I've read it. :)
That would be great:)

Was the forum that shut down the one that I spoke to you on a few occasions?:-O

stumpski

International Captain
Yes, one of the admins pulled the plug on it without consulting anyone. :@ A scaled-down version is now housed in a betting forum, but it's not the same - I don't watch cricket to try and win money on it.

Strangely ignored book, that one on Barnes - even Wisden don't seem to have reviewed it. And it looks like I could be the first to write one for Amazon, were I so inclined. :happy:

archie mac

International Coach
Yes, one of the admins pulled the plug on it without consulting anyone. :@ A scaled-down version is now housed in a betting forum, but it's not the same - I don't watch cricket to try and win money on it.

Strangely ignored book, that one on Barnes - even Wisden don't seem to have reviewed it. And it looks like I could be the first to write one for Amazon, were I so inclined. :happy:
Yes I have not heard of it, so it would be good to read a review. No good about the other site, maybe some of the lads would like to come here?