• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just read All Out by Gidieon Haigh and was going to review it but didn't like it much. The 20/20 hindsight ie putting a whole load of articles previously published together with a bit of padding in between really annoys me. Cricinfo really loved it.

Anyone else read it? Your thoughts?
I think these books of colected articles can be a bit of a cop out by the author, but Haig's prose is so good that it got me in anyway.

pasag

RTDAS
Agreed. I would rate them as

1. Cricket Autopsy - Frith
  2. Joy of Cricket - Anthology
  3. Farewell to Cricket - Don
  4. My Autobiography - Gobers

The Joy of cricket is a real joy to read and I am tempted to rate it above except that its an anthology so....

Will do, came into a book called The Vincibles by Gideon Haigh which I started before all of those, read the whole book in one sitting today it was that good. Don't think I've done something like that in years. Hilarious stuff, great book.

archie mac

International Coach
Will do, came into a book called The Vincibles by Gideon Haigh which I started before all of those, read the whole book in one sitting today it was that good. Don't think I've done something like that in years. Hilarious stuff, great book.

Yes great read, many a slip for our English friends:)

stumpski

International Captain
This thread should never be allowed to slip too far down IMO. :)

I gather someone has written a book called 'Grovel!' the story of the 1976 England - Windies series. Has anyone here or read it, or know where I might be able to get hold of a copy?

archie mac

International Coach
This thread should never be allowed to slip too far down IMO. :)

I gather someone has written a book called 'Grovel!' the story of the 1976 England - Windies series. Has anyone here or read it, or know where I might be able to get hold of a copy?

I have not heard of it, top name though:)

stumpski

International Captain
I've just found an ad for it in the Wisden Cricketer. The writer is one David Tossell (not heard of him before) and it retails at £18.99. I dare say some of the shops on the county grounds would stock it, and theres a big sports book shop in London that almost certainly would - I just wondered if anyone would recommend it. Seems a lot of money for a book I'd probably read in two days. But I have a fondness for that series (despite the scoreline) as that was when I really got into this great game.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
For those of you who haven't read my cricket book yet, here, have a look, have a read, let me know. Aimed at 9-14 year olds but good for adults too...

Attachments

archie mac

International Coach
I've just found an ad for it in the Wisden Cricketer. The writer is one David Tossell (not heard of him before) and it retails at £18.99. I dare say some of the shops on the county grounds would stock it, and theres a big sports book shop in London that almost certainly would - I just wondered if anyone would recommend it. Seems a lot of money for a book I'd probably read in two days. But I have a fondness for that series (despite the scoreline) as that was when I really got into this great game.
Never heard of the author either, I would only buy it if it contained some genuine research, and interviews with the combatants (can't spell this)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If you dont mind me asking are you a profesional author Neil as well as being a teacher?
Writing is just something I enjoy doing in my free time - maybe later in my life someone will want to publish it!

If you've read it, things like favourite parts and favourite characters, or bits you disliked, would be appreciated!

Chubb

International Regular
The best character is clearly Bradley the Zimbabwean. I'm not saying that just because he was my suggestion (thanks for putting it in). He has the best back story by far. best bit in the book is when he talks to the coach about controlling the game, and when he starts playing the reverse sweep. The book's a lot of fun, Neil.

kof98

U19 12th Man
I don't know if this book has been mentioned already. I have been reading it for the last ew days and it is worth the time in my opinion.

The book is: Bumper by Keith Miller