Page 135 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136 LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 2034
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chasingthedon View Post
    Picked up this little haul in my local used bookstore, San Jose, California this afternoon:-

Arlott on Cricket
    Australian Challenge, the 1956 Australian tour of England, by Arthur Gilligan
    Cricket Cauldron, England in the Caribbean 1953-54, by Alex Bannister
    Cricket Gallery, edited by David Frith
    The Cricketer's Bedside Book, edited by Ron Roberts
    What Sport Tells Us About Life, by Ed Smith
    100 Years of Test Cricket, David Foster & Peter Arnold
    The Story of Cricket, by Robin Marlar

The last two are replete with great photos, though skimming through the Marlar book I was a little disturbed to see Lance Gibbs described as the leading fast bowler of his era. Still, never ceases to amaze what you can find in the most unexpected places.
    I quite enjoyed the Ron Roberts book. He dies a young man
    You know it makes sense.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Interested to read that you picked up '100 Years of Test Cricket' as it was a Christmas present I received from Santa in 1977 or 78. I still have the book, and still read it because of the great photos.

Does your edition have Tony Greig and Greg Chappell on the front cover?

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I quite enjoyed the Ron Roberts book. He dies a young man
    Yeah, me too. After all it starts with an Alan Ross piece on Cowdrey (where he manages to say in about 30 words what took me 200 or so to do the same on Fry); nice, short but interesting pieces by a wealth of talented writers.

Have to say I'm not much of an Ed Smith fan - didn't really enjoy Hard Ball; in the first chapter of this book I feel he misapplies Gould's logic on the evolution of talent, and in the second misses the mark on why Zidane head-butted Materazzi in the World Cup final. Though I've only read two chapters.

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Interested to read that you picked up '100 Years of Test Cricket' as it was a Christmas present I received from Santa in 1977 or 78. I still have the book, and still read it because of the great photos.

Does your edition have Tony Greig and Greg Chappell on the front cover?
    It does indeed. Nice pics e.g. of Trumper other than the famous but over-used Beldam one.

Just read "Then Came Massacre". Biog of Maurice Tate. A good read about a childhood hero who, it turns out, lived about 400 yards from where I lived during said childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Just read "Then Came Massacre". Biog of Maurice Tate. A good read about a childhood hero who, it turns out, lived about 400 yards from where I lived during said childhood.
    Yes a good read. It won the best new writer award from CW for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by chasingthedon View Post
    Yeah, me too. After all it starts with an Alan Ross piece on Cowdrey (where he manages to say in about 30 words what took me 200 or so to do the same on Fry); nice, short but interesting pieces by a wealth of talented writers.

Have to say I'm not much of an Ed Smith fan - didn't really enjoy Hard Ball; in the first chapter of this book I feel he misapplies Gould's logic on the evolution of talent, and in the second misses the mark on why Zidane head-butted Materazzi in the World Cup final. Though I've only read two chapters.
    Have not read any of Smith but Hard Ball is the suppose to be good. Let's hope it picks up

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Have not read any of Smith but Hard Ball is the suppose to be good. Let's hope it picks up
    Hard Ball left me feeling "meh", which I was more than disappointed at being an ex-pat in the US; I gave it a negative review on CW, but having heard so many people praise it maybe I should give it another try. Possibly my expectations were too high originally.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I've never managed to see quite why Ed Smith's writing is so widely acclaimed - on the other hand his old man Jonathan's book, "The Following Game", is excellent

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I've never managed to see quite why Ed Smith's writing is so widely acclaimed - on the other hand his old man Jonathan's book, "The Following Game", is excellent
    Yet to read that one. Will have to keep an eye out

I just read a recent review and Archie signed off with "Recommended by the Mac." Now I don't read too many of the reviews so is this common or a sign that the end of days is upon us?
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I just read a recent review and Archie signed off with "Recommended by the Mac." Now I don't read too many of the reviews so is this common or a sign that the end of days is upon us?
    Could be worse. Could have signed off with "You stay classy, cricketweb"..
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Some book suggestions please.......

I belong to a women's only Book Club, but was drafted into the group because they liked the idea of having a "male perspective" on various topics and issues. So I get to be the token male.

Anyway, I thought that it was about time that the ladies were introduced to the masculine world of cricket via a cricketing classic that might also appeal to the feminine mind. I was was thinking of David Frith's book on Archie Jackson. Would that be a good choice, or are there better choices more suited to women folk?

(I do realise that I am setting myself up for some happy ridicule here, but some serious suggestions amongst the mirth would be good just the same)
    Last edited by watson; 17-06-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    You sly old fox - that's a clever way to get amongst the chickens - good luck to you!

As to the question the Frith book is an excellent idea - others that I would suggest might appeal would be Duncan Hamilton's biography of Harold Larwood, and Tresco's autobiography

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Some book suggestions please.......

I belong to a women's only Book Club, but was drafted into the group because they liked the idea of having a "male perspective" on various topics and issues. So I get to be the token male.

Anyway, I thought that it was about time that the ladies were introduced to the masculine world of cricket via a cricketing classic that might also appeal to the feminine mind. I was was thinking of David Frith's book on Archie Jackson. Would that be a good choice, or are there better choices more suited to women folk?

(I do realise that I am setting myself up for some happy ridicule here, but some serious suggestions amongst the mirth would be good just the same)
    Depends on the sort of women. "On Warne" by Gideon Haigh is a really interesting read, and most of them will be familiar with Warne I'd imagine. He gives an outstanding account of one of the most prominent characters of recent cricket history.

btw, good luck with all those women Watson, you sly old fox....

Thread Information