Cricket Player Manager
Page 123 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 2120
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Ordered the Harold Larwood book by Duncan Hamilton after reading the CW review of it. Hopefully it lives up to expectations.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Ordered the Harold Larwood book by Duncan Hamilton after reading the CW review of it. Hopefully it lives up to expectations.
    Hope so mate, I will feel responsible if you don't like it
    You know it makes sense.

best books on cricket

what are the best books on cricket that u read? it can be by a cricketer, or a journalist or anyone for that matter...if anyone can post links of some materials of those books, it would be even better...

what is the best way/sites to read/download some of these books?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sumantra View Post
    what are the best books on cricket that u read? it can be by a cricketer, or a journalist or anyone for that matter...if anyone can post links of some materials of those books, it would be even better...
    Maybe you could go through the reviews on the front page in the book section

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Hope so mate, I will feel responsible if you don't like it
    Absolutely incredible. So well written, so detailed, brilliantly researched. 5 stars doesn't do it justice IMO.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Absolutely incredible. So well written, so detailed, brilliantly researched. 5 stars doesn't do it justice IMO.
    Yes I should have given it 4.5 - I'm still disappointed by the photos, but going down to 4 was a step too far

Finished Twirlymen by Amol Rajan recently, excellent read written with real passion, particularly liked the first few chapters including the one on Barnes who Rajan considers very much part of the spin tradition. An excellent passage on Valentine and Ramadhin was also a highlight. It is not especially long and covers an awful so not a great amount of detail on some players but certainly serves as a good introduction for anyone interested in spin bowling.

He does seem to have a real aversion to pace bowlers though and sometimes the writing grated a little bit, describing Vettori and Herath as 'remarkable' or something similar was seemed a little effusive but these were small problems in a very enjoyable read.

New Books - An Overview for December 2011

Recent tradition demands that for the first week of a New Year the Review Section is devoted to an overview of recent and forthcoming releases, so here it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Finished Twirlymen by Amol Rajan recently, excellent read written with real passion, particularly liked the first few chapters including the one on Barnes who Rajan considers very much part of the spin tradition. An excellent passage on Valentine and Ramadhin was also a highlight. It is not especially long and covers an awful so not a great amount of detail on some players but certainly serves as a good introduction for anyone interested in spin bowling.

He does seem to have a real aversion to pace bowlers though and sometimes the writing grated a little bit, describing Vettori and Herath as 'remarkable' or something similar was seemed a little effusive but these were small problems in a very enjoyable read.
    Yeah I was given it as a Christmas present and am ploughing through it atm. A good read, particularly because of the depth of detail he gives about different spinners from times gone by and their methods. I've also found that his writing grates from time to time, often preferring to show off a flashy vocabulary when simpler wording would do, and he does indeed over-egg the pudding about the ability of the likes of Herath. But so far I'm really enjoying it all the same. The fact that his cricket club is about half a mile from my home doesn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Yeah I was given it as a Christmas present and am ploughing through it atm. A good read, particularly because of the depth of detail he gives about different spinners from times gone by and their methods. I've also found that his writing grates from time to time, often preferring to show off a flashy vocabulary when simpler wording would do, and he does indeed over-egg the pudding about the ability of the likes of Herath. But so far I'm really enjoying it all the same. The fact that his cricket club is about half a mile from my home doesn't hurt.
    So I can expect a review from each of you eloquent chaps by, shall we say, the end of January?

Cricket Web Staff Member chasingthedon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    New Books - An Overview for December 2011

Recent tradition demands that for the first week of a New Year the Review Section is devoted to an overview of recent and forthcoming releases, so here it is.
    Disappointed Lanky didn't furnish you with a review copy of the deluxe edition TBH.

Thanks for the comprehensive review, Martin.

Cricket Web Book of the Year 2011

Our thanks go to all the worthy candidates for Book of the Year that we have read this year, but our congratulations can only go to one author, and for 2011 that is Patrick Ferriday.

New Books - An Overview for July 2012

Although it rather took Martin by surprise it is that time of year again, so this week it is time for our twice yearly look at recent and forthcoming titles.

Thread Information