• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

neville cardus

International Debutant
I fear that Thompson book was probably the worst he ever wrote. I can't remember a thing about it, which is always damning.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Awesome, which would you say is better for anecdotes and the like? I'd rather not have to read through a bunch of stats in written form.
The Rogerson book is OK, but I think we're still waiting for the definitive biography of Rhodes

fredfertang

Not at all. I just think Thompson's better when he's freestyling. He doesn't do so well when he has a narrative to follow, which is essential when you're writing a biography.
I don't like to be a pedant Rodders, but feel obliged on this occasion - lose the p!

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Not at all. I just think Thompson's better when he's freestyling. He doesn't do so well when he has a narrative to follow, which is essential when you're writing a biography.
I see, I haven't read any of his works but in that case I'll have a look at both the Rogerson and Thompson books:thumbup1:

Edit: Just another question. Has anyone read 'The Quest for The Bowlers' by CTB Turner and if so, is it worth it for 30 quid, being rare and all?

Last edited:

fredfertang

Just another question. Has anyone read 'The Quest for The Bowlers' by CTB Turner and if so, is it worth it for 30 quid, being rare and all?
Someone on here used the book's jacket as their avatar recently - Red Hill possibly?

neville cardus

International Debutant
There's a copy in a library near my brother's. No reason not to get it scanned and uploaded onto the Internet Archive for the benefit of everyone. Will see what I can do.

Awesome, I had a look if I could find a copy in my local library but had no luck. It's a shame that some of the books from this period have not been uploaded online already, surely their copyright's have run out by now. Let us know if you come up with something!

fredfertang

There's a copy in a library near my brother's. No reason not to get it scanned and uploaded onto the Internet Archive for the benefit of everyone. Will see what I can do.
Awesome, I had a look if I could find a copy in my local library but had no luck. It's a shame that some of the books from this period have not been uploaded online already, surely their copyright's have run out by now. Let us know if you come up with something!
As it's a thin one and no risk of breaking the spine I'm prepared to scan my copy for you guys - 54321 pm me your email - Rodders I will assume yours is the one I have unless you tell me different

Thanks Fred! however I'm not sure if I can send pm's as it it says they have been disabled. I assume visitor messages are the alternative?