• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Question for you two saffers - any idea what happened to Edward Tabane?

Black batsman who there is an interesting chapter on in the Andre Odendaal edited 'God's Forgotten Cricketers' from the mid 1970s

Marius

International Debutant
Just received AB de Villiers's autobiography as a birthday present from my brother. Will let you guys know if it's any good.

Marius

International Debutant
Yeah, it's not bad at all.

Nothing too amazing but there are some interesting tidbits - the WC semifinal drama, the conscious changes he made in his life to become the player and person he is, his rise through school level and to the Titans.

It's definitely worth a read, but you can wait for the paperback to come out, if you don't fancy paying R350 for it.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I wonder if I'm alone in have noticed this: For a sport so jealous of its heritage and its letters, cricket seems incredibly blasé about the preservation of its film archives. I'm flirting with the idea of curating footage of old Test Matches -- in their entirety where possible. It's high time, I think, that such a project were undertaken.

But what do you lot think? I'm posting this here not because it's topic-appropriate, but because I know this thread is popular with hoarders.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder if I'm alone in have noticed this: For a sport so jealous of its heritage and its letters, cricket seems incredibly blasé about the preservation of its film archives. I'm flirting with the idea of curating footage of old Test Matches -- in their entirety where possible. It's high time, I think, that such a project were undertaken.

But what do you lot think? I'm posting this here not because it's topic-appropriate, but because I know this thread is popular with hoarders.
Yes tell me about it. Not really aware of any major project done by anyone to really preserve the history and heritage. It's not even possible to find test matches from the 70s and 80s, forget about anything before that. The main problem is that a lot of the coverage, especially in Asia at that time were done by the lone national broadcasters and the concept of preservation and archiving is an anathema to them,.

neville cardus

International Debutant
It's worth writing to some of those old broadcasters to see if they still have anything. Could probably also solicit some stuff from fans with old VCRs. My heart breaks when I think how much we've lost already.

Marius

International Debutant
It's worth writing to some of those old broadcasters to see if they still have anything. Could probably also solicit some stuff from fans with old VCRs. My heart breaks when I think how much we've lost already.
Apropos of nothing didn't the SABC sell their entire archive to DSTV for a fraction of what it was worth?

But there must have been some footage of the rebel series from the 1980s and some old Currie Cup stuff too. Maybe even the first few series after isolation, I'm not sure when M-Net/Supersport started broadcasting local international cricket.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I'm gonna see what I can do. Would probably be worth seeing if I can do it under the aegis of some respected institution like the ACS. Perhaps even CricketWeb?

neville cardus

International Debutant
Apropos of nothing didn't the SABC sell their entire archive to DSTV for a fraction of what it was worth?
But there must have been some footage of the rebel series from the 1980s and some old Currie Cup stuff too. Maybe even the first few series after isolation, I'm not sure when M-Net/Supersport started broadcasting local international cricket.
Thanks. That's very interesting. Will see what I can learn.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm gonna see what I can do. Would probably be worth seeing if I can do it under the aegis of some respected institution like the ACS. Perhaps even CricketWeb?
A good idea would be to reach out to some cricket journalists or historians? They might be able to direct us to the right channels? Look I'm interested in this. I'll VM you my email.