• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

neville cardus

International Debutant
West London, UK. Anywhere there or thereabouts I can reach.

I found this on Amazon for about £12, Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: The Tapestry Story : Celebrating 150 Years of the Melbourne Cricket Ground. but it's lack of any coverage (picture, reviews etc.) makes me hesitant.
The nearest item of interest is at the British Library, St. Pancras: The Temple Down the Road: The Life and Times of the MCG by Brian Matthews, which isn't supposed to be very good. And I'm afraid the nearest after that is at the University of Manchester Library: Cricket's Colosseum: 125 years of Test cricket at the MCG by Ken Piesse. Only if you're in Australia will you find copies of the periodical MCG News, or of Keith Dunstan's books The Tapestry Story: Celebrating 150 years of the Melbourne Cricket Ground and The People's Ground. I mention these in case you should stumble upon them at a second-hand bookstore.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
The Dunstan book I found on Amazon was only £13, so I took a punt on it, appears to be dispatched from the UK, so that's decent. I might investigate that Matthews book, because I've got a few days to kill in London. I also reckon books on Melbourne and Victorian history might hold some useful info.

neville cardus

International Debutant
The Dunstan book I found on Amazon was only £13, so I took a punt on it, appears to be dispatched from the UK, so that's decent. I might investigate that Matthews book, because I've got a few days to kill in London. I also reckon books on Melbourne and Victorian history might hold some useful info.
Cool, cool. Do lemme know how you fare.

Camo999

State 12th Man
Hey all,

I'm writing an essay for a Uni prize and the title I chose is 'Discuss the Historical Significance of the MCG' - I've found plenty of stuff of the Internet, but written sources are imperative. I've had a look for some books, but the ones I've found are published in Australia and thus shipping is either exorbitant or just not possible. Could anyone recommend any books on the history of the MCG or relevant topics which I might be able to acquire in the UK?
Seems to be surprisingly little quality writing readily available re the history / popularity / culture / tribalism of Australian rules football in Melbourne which is a shame as I would say this is a big key to the MCG (and Melbourne). Appears to be a Tom Wills biography on kindle which admittedly I haven't read but might be useful.

Last edited:

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Any of you history lovers out there should check out this cassette, Cricket: The Golden Age (BBC Collection). Not a book or even an audio book, but just 2 seperate cassettes with interviews conducted by E.W Swanton with some oldies of the game. Legends include Charles Kortright himself! Sydney Barnes, C.B Fry, Jack Hobbs, among others. However it's only 2 hours long!! which is a real shame.

Most of the interviews are very brief but insightful nonetheless. I suspect full interviews are hidden somewhere in BBC's archives, you never know.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hey all,

I'm writing an essay for a Uni prize and the title I chose is 'Discuss the Historical Significance of the MCG' - I've found plenty of stuff of the Internet, but written sources are imperative. I've had a look for some books, but the ones I've found are published in Australia and thus shipping is either exorbitant or just not possible. Could anyone recommend any books on the history of the MCG or relevant topics which I might be able to acquire in the UK?

I'm not sure if you can use newspapers for your essay? I've done it loads in the recent ones I've had for uni. Check this out
Some old digitized newspapers, you may find an article or 2 worthy of your time.

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
It can be a very profitable line of inquiry for researchers. For instance, I'm currently tracking down the papers of John Masefield (Poet Laureate from 1930 to 1967), because I know for a fact, from his memoirs, that he was as obsessed with my long-term area of interest as I am, and corresponded all his life with a few of the protagonists. The archives are scattered far and wide, from Texas to Oxford, which gives me an ideal excuse to do the kind of travelling I love. :-)

neville cardus

International Debutant
Anyone here have access to the Derbyshire County Annual for 1890? The only copy I can find, through the standard web searches, is at Lord's.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
After a bit of help.

Can anyone recommend books on test cricket captains?

I know there is "On top down under" re. Australian captains but I'm hoping someone can recommend similar books from other nations?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After a bit of help.

Can anyone recommend books on test cricket captains?

I know there is "On top down under" re. Australian captains but I'm hoping someone can recommend similar books from other nations?
From England you have The Cricket Captains of England by Alan Gibson which was published in1979, and is excellent.

New Zealand is covered by New Zealand Test Cricket Captains by Matthew Appleby that was published in 2002.

South Africa's Cricket Captains by Trevor Chesterfield and Jackie McGlew appeared in 2003

There are two I am aware of for India those being a 1978 book called Indian Captains by a bloke called Puri and Indian Cricket – The Captains from Nayudu to Tendulkar that was published in 1997 by Partab Ramchand

Marius

International Debutant
I recommend it, too.
Yeah, it was a good book, I still have it at my mother's house somewhere I think.

An update would be interesting, but McGlew and Chesterfield have both passed away.

Neil Manthorp would probably be the best guy to update it I reckon.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Yeah, it was a good book, I still have it at my mother's house somewhere I think.

An update would be interesting, but McGlew and Chesterfield have both passed away.

Neil Manthorp would probably be the best guy to update it I reckon.
I'd prefer Vice or Eaton myself, but no doubt Manthorp would do a decent job.

Marius

International Debutant
I'd prefer Vice or Eaton myself, but no doubt Manthorp would do a decent job.
I was thinking Eaton too.

I read Nick of Time, Vice's biography of Peter Kirsten, and it was so-so. But that was written a while ago, and Vice's writing has gotten better. If he can keep his personal and political views out of it, he'd do a good job.