• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The White booklet crops up surprisingly frequently - don't pay too much for it

Yeah I've noticed that too and i won't, thanks for the heads up ;).

I'm not really acquainted with the rules of the forum, but could someone tell me if I'm allowed to post pictures of the articles i mentioned in my previous post?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Whilst in London I went to the JW McKenzie bookstore. What a haven for the cricket book lover. I was greeted warmly (I was the only customer) and given a cup of coffee. I then spent the next two hours browsing around and just being in awe on the collection. The Wisdens before the war (he has the first one) were upstairs so I didn't get to look at them. He's a nice guy and I told him I would give him a plug on here.

Directions in case you are ever in London: take the train from Waterloo to Stoneleigh (about 30 minutes). Head down Stoneleigh park road towards Kingston road. About a five minute walk from the station.

View attachment 22293View attachment 22294View attachment 22295View attachment 22296View attachment 22297View attachment 22298View attachment 22299View attachment 22300View attachment 22301

I ended up buying these two collections for 15 pounds.

View attachment 22302

Good grief, it's less than a mile from where I live, and I had no idea it was there. Thank you for the tip.

neville cardus

International Debutant
"On the occasion of my benefit match at Old Trafford, Manchester, in 1886, a number of boys were offering for sale copies of a booklet giving particulars of my career. My mother, who came over from her home at Ramsbottom to witness the last day’s play, kept being accosted by these boys on her way to the cricket ground, who called out '<i>Life of Barlow</i>, 3d. each,' and pressed her to buy a copy. At length she said to one of the boys, who was more persistent than the rest, 'My lad, I can tell thee about the life of RG Barlow; I have known him for some years. I am his mother. Here’s a penny for thee.' We had a good laugh over tea that evening as she related this little experience." -- Forty Seasons of First-Class Cricket, p. 60

I'd never heard of this booklet before, and it seems to be unGoogleable. Any ideas as to where I might find it?

Rodney

neville cardus

International Debutant
Yeah I've noticed that too and i won't, thanks for the heads up ;).

I'm not really acquainted with the rules of the forum, but could someone tell me if I'm allowed to post pictures of the articles i mentioned in my previous post?
Beldam's book (the source of those photographs) is out of copyright, so feel free. :-)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Read Daniel Brettig's - Whitewash to Whitewash about two months ago...

Loved the book because it confirmed pretty much all my criticism of suspicions about what was ailing AUS cricket during the dark 2009-2013 period - the worse phase of AUS test history since the late 1980s

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi Guys,

Can someone recommend me some good books on WG Grace? Not necessarily straight autobiographies but more about the period, the state of cricket, a historical account.

Thanks.

Marius

International Debutant
Thinking of ordering CLR James's Beyond a Boundary. Is it worth it? Does it live up to the hype?

Midwinter

State Captain
Thinking of ordering CLR James's Beyond a Boundary. Is it worth it? Does it live up to the hype?
It is a good read..
His collected writings is as good if not better. It was just called Cricket but it was re-released under a slightly different title recently

Marius

International Debutant
Bought Sundial in the Shade, Andrew Murtagh's book on Barry Richards, and also got Richards to sign it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Thank you. :) I have messaged him and hopefully he will like it. Has been searching for a good book on MCC for a while now. The Lords one looks interesting as well.

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
Hey all,

I'm writing an essay for a Uni prize and the title I chose is 'Discuss the Historical Significance of the MCG' - I've found plenty of stuff of the Internet, but written sources are imperative. I've had a look for some books, but the ones I've found are published in Australia and thus shipping is either exorbitant or just not possible. Could anyone recommend any books on the history of the MCG or relevant topics which I might be able to acquire in the UK?