• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

neville cardus

International Debutant
The unwritten biography I most want to read is of Frank Roro. I'd have a go myself, but I lack the linguistic versatility to get anywhere with the archives. André Odendaal would be the obvious man to do it, but he seems to prefer a broader canvass.

Marius

International Debutant
The unwritten biography I most want to read is of Frank Roro. I'd have a go myself, but I lack the linguistic versatility to get anywhere with the archives. André Odendaal would be the obvious man to do it, but he seems to prefer a broader canvass.
I think a book looking at black cricketers who were denied opportunities under apartheid would be very interesting, so looking at guys like Roro, Krom Hendricks, Khaya Majola etc.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think a book looking at black cricketers who were denied opportunities under apartheid would be very interesting, so looking at guys like Roro, Krom Hendricks, Khaya Majola etc.

There'd be some sad stories in that I'm sure - I'd like to know more about Howie Bergins and Winston Carelse, in fact you've given me an idea for a feature - Rodders can you help with any source material?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Loving Spy's illustrations which came in Vanity Fair. Is there any book which has a lot of his work?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Great. I have also loved some of the illustrations of Cardus btw. Saw some in one of his books. He was able to capture technical aspects in his illustrations while the more famous illustrators of the game captured character in some unique way. Cardus was pretty good in his own right in this department.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Great. I have also loved some of the illustrations of Cardus btw. Saw some in one of his books. He was able to capture technical aspects in his illustrations while the more famous illustrators of the game captured character in some unique way. Cardus was pretty good in his own right in this department.
It's astonishing, reading his old Manchester Guardian reports, to see how often he throws in illustrative sketches. If ever there was a cricket thinker who needn't have looked further than words, you would think it was he.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This week Archie reviews "The Strangers Who Came Home" - the good people at Bloomsbury have made three copies of the book available to CW readers so we have come up with a devilishly tricky question for you to answer

Name the titles and authors of three books published by the Bloomsbury group that have been reviewed on CW?

All correct entries will go into a draw for the three prizes

Entries to info@cricketweb.net

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
This week Archie reviews "The Strangers Who Came Home" - the good people at Bloomsbury have made three copies of the book available to CW readers so we have come up with a devilishly tricky question for you to answer

Name the titles and authors of three books published by the Bloomsbury group that have been reviewed on CW?

All correct entries will go into a draw for the three prizes

Entries to info@cricketweb.net
There's more than three -- I count six at least -- so presumably you mean "any three"?