• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

neville cardus

International Debutant
In other happy news, I see that John Lazenby's new book on the 1878 Australians is out tomorrow. I loved his effort on his grandfather JR Mason.

Marius

International Debutant
By strange coincidence a review copy turned up on my doorstep this morning, so you'll soon know what I think of it, for what that's worth :)
Cool, please let me know.

I'm thinking of getting it, but I'd like to know whether it's worth it.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I downloaded the electronic version last night. Early signs are very good.

I'm afraid I won't be saying the same about WG.

Cool, please let me know.

I'm thinking of getting it, but I'd like to know whether it's worth it.
You really should listen to that interview I recommended.

maxbonnell

Cricket Spectator
In other happy news, I see that John Lazenby's new book on the 1878 Australians is out tomorrow. I loved his effort on his grandfather JR Mason.
I picked this one up yesterday. I'm afraid that for me it was disappointing. Laze by has done a good, workmanlike job of telling the story of the tour chronologically and setting it in its historical context. If you're new to cricket history, this will be a good place to start to understand the early tours.

But there are two problems. One is that there's an insurmountable narrative problem with this story, because the climax arrives too soon. Once the Australians have beaten MCC in a single day in May, who cares how they went against 22 of Crewe in August? Lazenby does his best (as did the players!) to sustain his enthusiasm for the countless minor games, but his prose is weary by the end.

For me, though, there's a bigger problem, which is that there's nothing new here. As the extensive bibliography shows, this book is really a synthesis of books already written, bolstered by thorough mining of contemporary newspapers. No real effort has been made to delve into the (pretty extensive) archives of documents that exist in Australia (Lazenby's acknowledgements suggest that his Australian research was confined to enquiries over the phone). You know, if you go to the State Library of Victoria, you can read, hold in your hands, John Conway's pencil-written diary of the early stages of the tour. Other equally precious documents exist in other collections. If Lazenby had got his fingers dusty in the archives, there would have been more life to the book.

It's not at all a bad book. I guess I really wanted to enjoy it more.

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
That there's nothing new here. As the extensive bibliography shows, this book is really a synthesis of books already written, bolstered by thorough mining of contemporary newspapers. No real effort has been made to delve into the (pretty extensive) archives of documents that exist in Australia (Lazenby's acknowledgements suggest that his Australian research was confined to enquiries over the phone). You know, if you go to the State Library of Victoria, you can read, hold in your hands, John Conway's pencil-written diary of the early stages of the tour. Other equally precious documents exist in other collections. If Lazenby had got his fingers dusty in the archives, there would have been more life to the book.
That's a shame -- and disappointing when we remember that Test of Time was partially a travelogue. He did the archive-combing, jaunting-through-Australia thing very well there.

maxbonnell

Cricket Spectator
That's a shame -- and disappointing when we remember that Test of Time was partially a travelogue. He did the archive-combing, jaunting-through-Australia thing very well there.
Exactly right - that, I think, is why I expected more of this one. Look, I hope I'm not being unfair. I mean it when I say that the book is excellent for a reader who doesn't know much about the period. But writers like Gideon Haigh have raised the bar in recent times, setting a new standard for original research, so I get disappointed when historical works fall short of that level.

archie mac

International Coach
I will be doing a review of the Lazenby book soon. Will hopefully enjoy it more than Max, although he obviously didn't hate it

neville cardus

International Debutant
Re: our discussion of some two or three pages back, this is well worth the pound it'll cost you. Although I knew that he ran once for office, I wasn't aware that John Arlott was as passionate about his politics, or that his politics were so interesting and agreeable, as "John Arlott: Cricket's Radical Voice" reveals them to have been. The highlight, indubitably, is his showdown with Thatcher.

He writes for the Guardian, so would be surprised if he's not that way inclined
I recall that, when Haigh endorsed John Howard for the vice-presidency of the ICC, he was anxious to make clear that he was "someone to whom Howard the politician did not appeal, and who cast his every available vote against him, even to the point of voting for some I knew to be total plonkers." And then there are all those wounding asides about Noam Chomsky...

maxbonnell

Cricket Spectator
Almost done. But would be keen to know (since I think the fact would be impressive) who held the record for the most first-class centuries when WG began his career, and who sat in second place, with how much, when he ended it. Any ideas?
The answer to this question, if I have it right, is quite remarkable.

Grace's first-class career began on 22 June 1865, when he turned out for Gentlemen of the South against Players of the South. He was stumped for 0, but made up for it by taking 5-44 and 8-40. At that time, Tom Hayward of Cambridgeshire had scored five first-class centuries; he added a sixth (his last) on 17 July, for the All England XI against Yorkshire. I think that may have been the record at the time.

Grace's last first-class match was played in April 1908 - he scored 15 and 25 for Gentlemen of England against Surrey. Jack Hobbs, who would surpass his number of centuries, played for Surrey but by that time he had only 12 hundreds to his name. WG left the first-class game with 124 centuries. The next-best on the list at that time (April 1908) had 80 (of his eventual 104). It was... Tom Hayward of Surrey, who also played in Grace's last game (scoring 0). He was, of course, the nephew of the earlier Tom Hayward.

So the answer in each case is - Tom Hayward.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The absence of any sort of biography about the Hayward family is the most glaring gap in the literature of the game