Page 107 of 136 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 2032
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Wally Hammond: The Reasons Why by David Foot. This was included in the biographies feature a little while back, but Archie and I agreed that it merited a full review.

We may have mentioned him before, but has anyone read much by Alan Gibson? I've been enjoying some articles he wrote for the Times, in a collection of the paper's cricket writing entitled Double Century; I note that there is a book of his on eBay at the moment about the Tests of 1905. Any recommendations?

I have the Wally Hammond book thanks to archie who recommended it to me. Will read it some time. Will be reading Lord of the Rings and then Beyond a Boundary finally.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post

We may have mentioned him before, but has anyone read much by Alan Gibson? I've been enjoying some articles he wrote for the Times, in a collection of the paper's cricket writing entitled Double Century; I note that there is a book of his on eBay at the moment about the Tests of 1905. Any recommendations?

I'm aware of "Jackson's Year" which, as you say, is a (in fact the only) full account of the 1905 series, "The Cricket Captains of England", that is about ..... well it's self-explanatory, "Growing up with Cricket" which is autobiographical and "Dennis Silk", "Sam Cook" and "JJ" (about Jack Davey) which are biogrphical essays published by Richard Walsh Books in the 90's - he's an excellent writer - fairly gentle stuff - a comparison with AA Thomson would not be out of place - I'm sure you'll enjoy his work.

Thanks - I've seen the other books you mentioned on Abebooks and I'll probably get them all at some point. As I said, I enjoyed his Times pieces very much - particularly a miserable account of an evening at one of the early floodlit games (when they were played at football grounds).

This was a very good piece I thought. It appears to have been written by David Foot and, although it comes from Cricinfo's Wisden section, never actually appeared in the Almanack as far as I can tell - certainly not in the 1997, as Gibson was still alive when it was published.

Finally got my hands on a copy of "Mystery Spinner" by Gideon Haigh, without spending $60+ on Ebay. Has been my white whale in second hand book shops for three years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

It's a really good book, Matt, you'll enjoy it. GH really goes to town - even to the level of a bit of research into the name "Iverson".

I'd have loved to have seen him bowl.

Reading And God created cricket by Simon Hughes. Obviously the fact that the whole history of cricket is covered in about 300 pages means there is not much detail but it is really good fun to read (especially the section cricket before the 20th century (once I got to Bradman and bodyline I have not read much new). Woud certainly recomend it to someone who has not read much on cricket history before.

Finally got hold of some Gibson recently; just started Jackson's Year. At the same time bought Beyond Bat and Ball by David Foot which I enjoyed and will review at some stage. Finding my current assignment rather heavy going though.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Just picked up a bio of Lord Hawke (imaginatively titled "Lord Hawke") by James P Coldham for a song. Don't know the author at all. Anyone read it or any of his stuff?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Just picked up a bio of Lord Hawke (imaginatively titled "Lord Hawke") by James P Coldham for a song. Don't know the author at all. Anyone read it or any of his stuff?
    Thats the only book I have read of him. Its not a great book I am afraid.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Thats the only book I have read of him. Its not a great book I am afraid.
    Ah, well was only 3, so no harm done.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I quite enjoyed it Brumbers - anything about Hawke makes me chuckle - I can't help but imagine meeting him, encouraging him to wax lyrical about God's own county and watching the apoplectic reaction when I ask him where he was born

Coldham wrote a biography of FS Jackson too, which is pretty good, and his father, also James, wrote one of Lord Harris .................... and a short (as you'd expect) history of German cricket

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I quite enjoyed it Brumbers - anything about Hawke makes me chuckle - I can't help but imagine meeting him, encouraging him to wax lyrical about God's own county and watching the apoplectic reaction when I ask him where he was born

Coldham wrote a biography of FS Jackson too, which is pretty good, and his father, also James, wrote one of Lord Harris .................... and a short (as you'd expect) history of German cricket
    I also quite enjoyed it
    You know it makes sense.

Anyone know of any books about Sydney Barnes?. Up to this day although his achievments as a bowler a so great, i struggle to see the logic behind picking him in ENG ATXI over the likes of Larwood, Snow or Statham (presuming Trueman would be everyone's first choice quick).

Since i always look at it these teams in a hypotetical sense i.e.."How would Barnes be able to stand up to a Viv Richards or bowl on flat sub-continent decks"

So i feel i need to more material on the great man.

This is the most recent that I know of, a worthy effort ...

Cricket Web - Cricket Books: S.F.Barnes: His Life and Times

Thread Information