• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
that would be great....do let me know what you think of it when you get a chance to read it
Hi smalishah84! Just joined the site today. Have read all of Imran's cricketing books, have to say it was a pleasure reading "Allround View". When I started reading it I just did not wanted it to end, to bad I finished reading it in a day or two. My only complain of the book is, as it was his only autobiography it should have been more than 600 pages like Steve Waugh's "Out of my comfort zone".

Imran has one of the best minds in the game, wish he had written a few more books in his cricketing career. If you are a big Imran fan I'll also recommend Iqbal Munir's "An Eye On Imran" a pictorial record of the great man.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has anyone read Malcolm Marshall's autobiography "Marshall Arts" is it worth....was thinking about buying it from ebay.

Besides Marshall are there any good books from other West Indian quickies like Holdings, Garner, Roberts, Wes Hall, have read " No Holding Back" found it disappointing.

Would appreciate if anyone can recommend good ones related to the West Indian domination of late 70's & 80's.
"Marshall Arts", is quite good, but you might prefer to buy "Maco" by Pat Symes (who ghosted "Marshall Arts") which is essentially an updated version published after Maco's sad death.

There is a book by Garner, "Big Bird Flying High", which I haven't read, and another one by Holding called "Whispering Death" bit nothing by Roberts, Croft or any of the others

I enjoyed "No Holding Back", which we have reviewed, and of the previous generation I've reviewed Charlie Griffith's "Chucked Around" - there is also a Wes Hall autobiography, "Pace Like Fire"

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
"Marshall Arts", is quite good, but you might prefer to buy "Maco" by Pat Symes (who ghosted "Marshall Arts") which is essentially an updated version published after Maco's sad death.

There is a book by Garner, "Big Bird Flying High", which I haven't read, and another one by Holding called "Whispering Death" bit nothing by Roberts, Croft or any of the others

I enjoyed "No Holding Back", which we have reviewed, and of the previous generation I've reviewed Charlie Griffith's "Chucked Around" - there is also a Wes Hall autobiography, "Pace Like Fire"
Thanks mate! Will check them out on ebay & amazon. BTW regarding "No Holding Back" I was expecting it to be more autobiographical like Botham's "Head On" & Chappell's "Fierce Focus".

smash84

The Tiger King
Hi smalishah84! Just joined the site today. Have read all of Imran's cricketing books, have to say it was a pleasure reading "Allround View". When I started reading it I just did not wanted it to end, to bad I finished reading it in a day or two. My only complain of the book is, as it was his only autobiography it should have been more than 600 pages like Steve Waugh's "Out of my comfort zone".

Imran has one of the best minds in the game, wish he had written a few more books in his cricketing career. If you are a big Imran fan I'll also recommend Iqbal Munir's "An Eye On Imran" a pictorial record of the great man.
Of course not :ph34r:

Hey dude, thanks for the reviews.

I didn't know about Iqbal Munir's book on Imran. Where can I get it from. I ordered both of Imran's autobiographies from Amazon and they shipped them up from the UK to a US address where I picked it from when I went there.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Of course not :ph34r:

Hey dude, thanks for the reviews.

I didn't know about Iqbal Munir's book on Imran. Where can I get it from. I ordered both of Imran's autobiographies from Amazon and they shipped them up from the UK to a US address where I picked it from when I went there.
Well, I was lucky to pick it up from ebay. It's one of those rare books which you will find once in a blue moon at amazon or ebay. As it's a Pakistani publication best chances are you might find it somewhere in Pakistan. I''ll let u know if I come across it.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Forgot until just now to promote my most recent contribution:

Cricket Web - Cricket Books: Burning Ashes

An extract:

It may be true that we all have a novel inside of us, but better in than out in the present case. Burning Ashes appears to have been typed rather than written. If so, it was a great deal easier to type than it is to read. Its tone is vulgar; it lacks invention. It is designed to thrill the repressed and soothe the subliterate, and no doubt they will be thrilled and soothed. Nature, I fear, did not intend Ms Lewis-Foster to write.​

Must say I'm rather pleased with it. But I cringe when I look at the formatting, and when I contemplate the violence it's done to my grammar. Does anyone know enough about this website's handling of HTML to get it looking more like this?

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Just about finished reading a bio on Bill Ponsford called "Records are made to be broken". Nice tidy little book, well written. Good insight in to the era and what a great man Ponsford was. Also backs up the claims of many that Ponsford would be significantly more remembered/revered had he not played in the same era as Bradman. Ponsford's first class record is unreal.

archie mac

International Coach
Just about finished reading a bio on Bill Ponsford called "Records are made to be broken". Nice tidy little book, well written. Good insight in to the era and what a great man Ponsford was. Also backs up the claims of many that Ponsford would be significantly more remembered/revered had he not played in the same era as Bradman. Ponsford's first class record is unreal.
I have that one but still yet to read it. Ponsford is one of my favourties and seems everyone liked him. Let us know if you fancy writing a review

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just finished The Trundlers by Harry Pearson.

A wry, sly, semi-ironic celebration of the unsung practitioners of the medium-pacers' art written by someone who's very clearly a dyed-in-the-wool cricket tragic. Informative and entertaining and what more could one ask?

As luck would have it, a fellow cricket nut had obviously been having a bit of clear out, so I had a minor splurge today and purchased from my local Oxfam shop Cricket Rebel, Jon Snow's autobiography, Stan McCabe, The man and his cricket by Jack McHarg, Jim Laker by Alan Hill &, also by Mr Hill, the one I've just started, Brian Close, Cricket's Lionheart.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just finished The Trundlers by Harry Pearson.

A wry, sly, semi-ironic celebration of the unsung practitioners of the medium-pacers' art written by someone who's very clearly a dyed-in-the-wool cricket tragic. Informative and entertaining and what more could one ask?

As luck would have it, a fellow cricket nut had obviously been having a bit of clear out, so I had a minor splurge today and purchased from my local Oxfam shop Cricket Rebel, Jon Snow's autobiography, Stan McCabe, The man and his cricket by Jack McHarg, Jim Laker by Alan Hill &, also by Mr Hill, the one I've just started, Brian Close, Cricket's Lionheart.

Gis a review then Brumbers :)

stumpski

International Captain
Anyone else been getting stuck into the 'Bible' lately? Nice to see Charlotte Edwards get one of the Cricketers of the Year. Good recognition for someone who must now be very close to the end of her career.

archie mac

International Coach
Anyone else been getting stuck into the 'Bible' lately? Nice to see Charlotte Edwards get one of the Cricketers of the Year. Good recognition for someone who must now be very close to the end of her career.
Reading it now, and will review next week, if work stops getting in the way

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
My girlfriend's church had a market day yesterday, and I found my way into the book section -- always a dangerous proposition. Came out with the following:

England versus Australia: A Pictorial History of the Test Matches Since 1877 - David Frith [forewords by McGilvray, Bradman & Hutton]
The Fast Men - David Frith [very happy with this buy]
Merv: My Life and other Funny Stories - Merv Hughes/David Emerson
The Great Australian Book of Cricket Stories - Ken Piesse (ed.) [illogical impulse buy if there ever was one. I mean, Ken Piesse...]
The Best of Chappelli - Ian Chappell/Austin Robertson/Paul Rigby

$0.30 each.