• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Cairns to Retire

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Then what was the point of him playing right up until now?

Countries continually talk about how all their efforts in ODIs are building towards the next World Cup, but this just doesnt wash when someone retires so close to one.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
And it's confirmed:

BLACKCAP Chris Cairns today announced that he is retiring from international cricket following the Twenty20 match against the West Indies at Eden Park on February 16.
“I feel that the time is right for me to retire from international cricket. I still enjoy playing for the BLACKCAPS and want to leave at a time when that enjoyment has not diminished and when I feel that I am still performing at the top level and contributing to the success of the team.
“I now have other commitments in my life and want to focus on family and business.
“I am looking forward to the Twenty20 match, which I believe will be a great way to finish my international career at home in front of a New Zealand audience.
“It is also important to retire at a time which allows NZC to develop other options well ahead of the World Cup.
“The BLACKCAPS have evolved into a world class team. They are a wonderful group of players and I believe they have every opportunity of success.”
Cairns will complete the season for the State Canterbury Wizards and will play league cricket in England this year while concentrating on business opportunities.
New Zealand Cricket Chief Executive Martin Snedden said that Cairns’ retirement will close a great chapter in New Zealand cricket history.
“Chris has had an outstanding international cricket career. He has brought passion, flare and commitment to the game and will be remembered as one of New Zealand’s greatest all rounders.
“Chris has obviously spent time considering this decision and NZC is supportive of it.”
BLACKCAPS coach John Bracewell said Chris will be missed from the BLACKCAPS unit.
“He is very much the elder statesman within the team and plays an important role in mentoring players.
“He has shown great commitment in returning to full fitness this season and I believe that he had the ability to push towards the World Cup, if that is what he desired.”

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
A real shame. If only his back hadn't proved that fragile I think his record and his contribution to New Zealand cricket could have been far greater.

I can still remember those mammoth sixes he hit during the Tsunami tribute match. Beautiful!

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
The Maestro said:
Think you answered yourself there........... and I agree with you, reasonable record which should have been world class if only he had half the application and humility of someone like Sir Richard
Oh my God, humility and Richard Hadlee do not go together... Try vanity and Sir Richard Hadlee.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
What a shame that Chris Cairns could not be at World Cup 2007 for NZ.

A Truly great allrounder in both forms of the game ( his record speaks for itself. )

I hope for NZ's sake that maybe A rest and a period off cricket will refresh him and may be he will change his mind and do what Sanath J did yesterday at the SCG and come back roaring for the World Cup at which surely NZ has a very good chance of doing very very well (with or without Cairns).

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think New Zealand now has its hopes pinned on Jason Oram. I hope he is up to it. From what I saw of him during the New Zealands last tour of Australia he has the skills and talent, he just needs it tempered with a little more experience and some faith from the selectors.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oram also needs to avoid injuries, something he's been not terribly good at so far.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well timed by Chris Cairns (no pun intended). He gave the comeback a decent crack, but sadly looked off the pace, so a good time to hang up the cap.

The question remains.......did he get the heads up from Bracewell, Nash and co??

Natman20

International Debutant
Western Warrior said:
I think New Zealand now has its hopes pinned on Jason Oram. I hope he is up to it. From what I saw of him during the New Zealands last tour of Australia he has the skills and talent, he just needs it tempered with a little more experience and some faith from the selectors.
Whos Jason Oram? Is he a good player? Is he batsman bowler or All-rounder?

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
It's right he's leaving now, I think if he stayed around for the WC he might have compromised NZ. I've got good memories of him, sixes/wickets/run outs but sadly I will mostly remember him for failing to handle the pressure as a big hitter, he got sucked into that persona and in the last few years never took the time at the start of an innings he needed to settle. His batting could have been so much better.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
zinzan12 said:
The question remains.......did he get the heads up from Bracewell, Nash and co??
I would like to think he did, becuase it would reflect well on them that they gave an NZ legend the right to bow out gracefully.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
ohtani's jacket said:
Oh my God, humility and Richard Hadlee do not go together... Try vanity and Sir Richard Hadlee.

LOL true enough...poor choice of words. I was really referring to his commitment to the game so dedication would have been better

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I think if we look at a time when his form, attitude, and body all got together, the stats show just how good the guy was...

ZIM 1997 - ENG 2002

Tests - 32
Batting - 1769 @ 36.85
Bowling - 137 @ 25.32

Or an even shorter period, two years of 1999 and 2000...

Tests - 15 (AUS, ENG, IND, WI, ZIM)
Batting - 1065 @ 48.40
Bowling - 68 @ 23

I think the second of those were when he was truly the best all rounder in test cricket.

Surprisingly (to me at least) his one day stats were always reasonably consistent...

Not surprisingly to me, there seems to have been a lot of bagging of him in this thread. Come on guys, we all know what sort of "potential" he had (see figures above), but he was still miles ahead of any other NZ all rounders at the time.