Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: What's this obsession with turn?

  1. #1
    State 12th Man Autobahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    716

    What's this obsession with turn?

    In recent times whenever a new spinner has come along everyone is always focusing on how turn he gets like it's the only thing that matters with a spinner.

    And in fact one of insults always hurled at the England team by WUMs is along the lines of "OMG giles isn't a spinner because he doesn't spin the ball LOLOLOLZ".

    But turn isn't always everything, many good spinners in the past Underwood, Prasanna, Edmonds, Emburey, Tufnell, Gibbs, Richard and Ray Illingworth, Titmus, Symcox and even Saqlain Mushtaq got most of their wickets through accuracy and variation and if one turned massively that was a bonus.

    Murali himself only got better when he developed variations, the fact that he got turn them massively was pointless after the batsmen adjusted to turn.

    Especially in India where the batsmen are used to the turn i mean for example Shane warne and Abdul Qadir both where massively dangerous leggies who turn it a mile but got plastered by the india batsmen because of their inaccuracy, compare that with Underwood and Benaud who where both miserly accurate and often out bowled the Indians themselves.

    Therefore despite the name there's a lot more to being a spinner then spinning the ball although it may be important variation and accuracy are also important.

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,752
    A ball only has to turn two inches to find the edge of the bat - provided the batsman hasn't played for the turn.

    I agree wholeheartedly with pretty well everything you say - often, the rewards are there for the spinner who can get a batsman to commit too early to a shot - one of the reasons why so many great players of spin played primarily off the back foot.

  3. #3
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,837
    And equally, another reason why it's criminal for spinners to consistently pitch too short. Spent quite some time yesterday afternoon exhorting 12-year-old Jake to stop bowling long hops, which the batsman was quite happily swatting over the legside off the back foot.

    I then demonstrated my point perfectly, tying the batsman in knots with a leg stump half-volley - as I said - pitch it up!
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  4. #4
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    The best modern example is Anil Kumble. And the point you make regarding Murali is some thing I witnessed in the early Murali. He did turn the ball a mile even back then. But Indians specially played him so comfortably that it took some time for me to understand that this average bowler has suddenly become a force to reckon with.

    I dont rate MacGill that highly for this particular reason - he bowls a loose ball an over at least which tends to put the pressure off. Aussie fans may discount it as luring the batsmen but really a loose ball leading to four over after over rather than ocassionaly does more harm than help.

    Pace for faster bowlers is also over rated. Courtney Walsh for example was at his best in the ending period. Srinath also was effective most in the end when he learnt the virtues of length, accuracy and persistance. Another -modern example - Glenn McGrath at the moment.


  5. #5
    International Regular cricketboy29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Max Rayne House, London
    Posts
    3,362
    Unless your bowling in Pakistan:P
    Member of CW RED

    Queensland-Season 7 OD Champions


    Currently Managing: NSW

    Rahul Dravid: A Real Legend.

    Quote Originally Posted by cricket player
    damn mods are more agressive then the teacher's in school that i have'
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieDominance
    *Sigh* what's the dev league got itself into.

  6. #6
    State 12th Man Autobahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketboy29
    Unless your bowling in Pakistan:P
    Even then accuracy is very important, if you can keep it tight on a flat track, the batsmen start getting frustrasted and start charging down the track all the time and make mistakes.

    That's what happened with giles on the 2000-01 tour of pakistan and kaneria and malik on the recent tour.

  7. #7
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Autobahn
    That's what happened with giles on the 2000-01 tour of pakistan and kaneria and malik on the recent tour.
    The rash shots by English batsmen were unbelievable.

  8. #8
    State 12th Man Autobahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    The rash shots by English batsmen were unbelievable.
    excatly that's what happens when you pin down young agressive batsmen.

  9. #9
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,281
    What's this obsession with turn? You don't want to be bowling gun-barrel straight at 50 mph. As Shane Watson proved in the "super" Test, you don't really want to be bowling gun-barrel straight at 87-88 mph.

    That said, I agree with Eddie that you don't need to be able to turn it square, you only need to be able to turn it half the width of the bat. But you do need to turn it. And I also agree that turn isn't everything, and is useless if not mixed with accuracy, control of flight, variations, and so on.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

    R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

  10. #10
    State 12th Man Autobahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    What's this obsession with turn? You don't want to be bowling gun-barrel straight at 50 mph. As Shane Watson proved in the "super" Test, you don't really want to be bowling gun-barrel straight at 87-88 mph.

    That said, I agree with Eddie that you don't need to be able to turn it square, you only need to be able to turn it half the width of the bat. But you do need to turn it. And I also agree that turn isn't everything, and is useless if not mixed with accuracy, control of flight, variations, and so on.
    Yeah i never said turn was useless, Vic Marks often proved that you need some turn at least. ("At any time, somewhere in the world," it was said, "someone is hitting Vic Marks for six")

    But what i was going on about was the obsession people have with turn at the expense of flight, variation and accuracy.

  11. #11
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,837
    But Vic Marks > Shane Warne, I thought everyone knew that?

  12. #12
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    But Vic Marks > Shane Warne, I thought everyone knew that?
    Ah, but it's not hard to be better than Shane Warne.

    *tried to remember what amits once said*

    Amit Mishra > Shane Warne.

  13. #13
    International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    4,066
    Sorry to go against popular opinion,but what the hell is the point in being a spinner if you can't turn it??

    Bowling pace at 90mph straight up and down isn't wholy effective,so bowling 55mph straight up and down is even less effective surely.

  14. #14
    State 12th Man Autobahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    716
    ahem..

    Quote Originally Posted by Autobahn
    Yeah i never said turn was useless, Vic Marks often proved that you need some turn at least. ("At any time, somewhere in the world," it was said, "someone is hitting Vic Marks for six")

    But what i was going on about was the obsession people have with turn at the expense of flight, variation and accuracy.

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,686
    There is a reason why Kumble has been India's best spinner since the 90s. The Hirwanis, the Sivaramakrishnans, the Rajus, heck even the Chauhans turned the ball more, but ultimately, it is the variety and the accuracy of Kumble that went on to become the best option for India. I would have thought someone like Brad Hogg, if he became more accurate, would be an ideal candidate for a spinner who could succeed in Indian conditions, simply because he bowls it a trifle quicker and has a lot of variety even though he doesn't turn the ball much at all.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. legspin
    By rossrobison in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-11-2005, 02:00 PM
  2. 12 Birthday's and 11 of them turn 23
    By biased indian in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 24-02-2005, 04:55 PM
  3. Sponsors turn to tease team
    By Sehwag309 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 01:50 AM
  4. Big Turn Around
    By Rich2001 in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-10-2002, 06:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •