• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AAD for England Fast Bowling Coach

Beleg

International Regular
Donald was an all time great, but I am not certain he is capable of making the transition from a bowler to a specialized coach.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Well donald has been coaching at warwickshire before and he's been working as the SA high performance programme coach and i'm sure he used to work with Duncan Fletcher before.

But i seem him helping people more like harmison rather than jones or hoggard.

simmy

International Regular
Not really... I think he will be good for Jones.

Both competitive, quick etc...

The four quicks are pretty experienced now and know their roles, perhaps a different coach would help them develop further.

He won't be anything on Troy though, IMO.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
He could bowl very fast, but frankly, he should know what's good for a bowling unit, or every bowler. He'll be more useful if he can design effective bowling plans than if he's just bowled fast in his career.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Arjun said:
He could bowl very fast, but frankly, he should know what's good for a bowling unit, or every bowler. He'll be more useful if he can design effective bowling plans than if he's just bowled fast in his career.
Well he's coached before plus troy has basically done all he can with the first team, the one disavantage that troy had is that he never played at test level and i feel donald will be able to build on troy's foundations.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
We shouldnt go with Donald for the same reason we shouldnt go with Younis etc. Great bowlers dont always make great coaches. Cooley knew the science behind it all, which unless Donald has been busy since he retired, he wont know.

Its not going to make an immediate difference because the current England team know about as much as they're going to. But this could well harm the next generation of bowlers if we dont get it right.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
SpaceMonkey said:
We shouldnt go with Donald for the same reason we shouldnt go with Younis etc. Great bowlers dont always make great coaches. Cooley knew the science behind it all, which unless Donald has been busy since he retired, he wont know.

Its not going to make an immediate difference because the current England team know about as much as they're going to. But this could well harm the next generation of bowlers if we dont get it right.
good point, but is their anyone else out their like Cooley?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
aussie said:
good point, but is their anyone else out their like Cooley?
No idea, you'd think the ECB would be on top of this though. Especially seeing the effect that Cooley has had. If not then heads should roll imo :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If the ECB were on top of it, they wouldn't be in this position in the first place becasue they'd have signed Cooley up to a long term contract.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
If the ECB were on top of it, they wouldn't be in this position in the first place becasue they'd have signed Cooley up to a long term contract.
Have to agree....only way to improve the next generation of bowlers is to keep the best coach on a long term contract...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Really gutted for SA cricket, why oh why oh why is all our expertise just being totally ignored?

Although I'm very biased, I think AAD would make a fantastic fast bowling coach, not only does he have the experience of playing the toughest cricket over the last ten years, but he is also incredibly fit and athletic for somebody who has bowled so much.. Not to mention his no nonsense attitude and work ethic.. I'm not sure where Neil got the biomechanics thing from but he has one of the most fluid actions ever to grace a cricket pitch.. Yes he suffered from injuries which did affect his performance, but there arent many of his calibre who haven't..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well theres me singing his praises, and thankfully he is going to carry on being involved with the SA setup.. I hope for SA crickets sake they give him a good job, enough of our talent is overseas as it is..

My heart lies with South African cricket, and I want to do everything I can in the effort to make us the best in the world

Onya allan...

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Damn he was the best one we had heard was intrested in the job.

Now we have left the collective genius of Phil DeFreitas, Mike Watkinson, Steve Watkin, Kevin Shine and Andy Pick :dry: