• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Ground has the most exhilarating atmosphere?

danish

U19 12th Man
I suppose it depends on what match is being played there, but IMO when these grounds are packed to full capacity, nothing can beat being in the midst of the action at these grounds.

Lord's, London
Eden Gardens, Kolkata
Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore
MCG, Melbourne
Ford County Ground, Chelmsford (interesting when packed with chavs who turn up mainly to abuse the players)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It really depends on your definition of 'exhilarating', but if you mean in a 'cool, clean, takes your breath away because it is brass monkeys' way, Derby. No contest.

No fingers either - it's freezing.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Lords? Exhilerating? No chance.. Tense maybe

For me, you can't beat my local ground, St.Georges Park in Port Elizabeth.. One of the most multi-cultural crowds in cricket, there is nothing better than sitting in the sun in front of the brass band as they play and sing along to all sorts of music.. Its one of the happiest crowds i've encountered at any sporting venue and you could be forgiven for thinking that cricket was in fact the beautiful game..

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Must say, Boxing Day this year was insane. I mean, obviously Mark Nicholas got everyone bored of the subject, but it truly was awesome.

Awesome in the true sense of the word, not the "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures" sense of the word.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Not that i have been to many grounds outside of NZ, but I have been to the MCG and I gotta say that it will take a lot to beat it for atmosphere.

danish said:
I suppose it depends on what match is being played there, but IMO when these grounds are packed to full capacity, nothing can beat being in the midst of the action at these grounds.

Lord's, London
Eden Gardens, Kolkata
Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore
MCG, Melbourne
Ford County Ground, Chelmsford (interesting when packed with chavs who turn up mainly to abuse the players)
Gaddafi Stadium Lahore!!

The best ground, awesome public and great pitches!!! Nothing beats them!:thumbup:

Langeveldt

Soutie
The Bullring at the Wanderers in Johannesburg takes some beating, shame they don't have a top card boxing day test like they get in Australia though..

C_C

International Captain
I've been to a few grounds in England and India, along with Sharjah...and my vote goes to Eden Gardens.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Must say, the one ground in the world I'd love to be at, more than any other, for a game of cricket as a spectator is Eden Gardens. Gotta feel a bit sorry for the players though, not sure if all that noise would be good for your cricket!

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Extreme bias here but I love ODIs at Eden Park, big crowd and since the boundaries are so small you're really close to the action. Napier is good too because although it's not very big it's always full, and again, short side boundaries so it's all close.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
_Ed_ said:
Extreme bias here but I love ODIs at Eden Park, big crowd and since the boundaries are so small you're really close to the action. Napier is good too because although it's not very big it's always full, and again, short side boundaries so it's all close.
But it would be hard for you to judge an exhilirating atmosphere considering you have attended almost exclusively losses. :p

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Voltman said:
But it would be hard for you to judge an exhilirating atmosphere considering you have attended almost exclusively losses. :p
:laugh:
A good point.

Cloete

International Captain
Adelaide is probably the best ground in international cricket. It has that sort of lazy, hot summer's feel about it when the test's are on. I guess it's what you'd typically associate with cricket watching.

Most of the grounds mentioned tend to go really well with the ODI type of atmosphere though. But St. George's Park and Sabina Park also produce that colourful yet relaxing feeling during the tests I think.

All personal opinion of course.

Slifer

International Captain
I would say the most festive would be either Sabina in Jamaica or Queens PArk T&T admittedly i know very little about grounds outside the WI.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
vic_orthdox said:
Must say, the one ground in the world I'd love to be at, more than any other, for a game of cricket as a spectator is Eden Gardens. Gotta feel a bit sorry for the players though, not sure if all that noise would be good for your cricket!
I didn't realise at first Eden is so special as far as atmosphere goes because of the huge crowd as its the only ground I have seen cricket in!

But slowly I have discovered this.

I love the empty Eden better than the crowded Eden though in a Domestic Match. I have a facination for grounds with trees, greenery and no or very little stands. Thats exhilirating for me. The serenity of the ground. :cool:

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Everyone goes on about the MCG, but a first day Sydney crowd is bloody loud, too. It could be classed as exhilarating because it's slightly smaller and also because Australia has rarely been on top there in the past five years.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Everyone goes on about the MCG, but a first day Sydney crowd is bloody loud, too. It could be classed as exhilarating because it's slightly smaller and also because Australia has rarely been on top there in the past five years.
Gotta agree with you about the SCG :D Can't wait to the ashes first day sydney.