• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Cricket Gear Thread

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
I'm quite surprised that there is not a thread related to cricket goods so I decided to make one. This thread is dedicated to talking about your cricketing equipment and how you find it. It could be quite useful for anyone looking to buy new gear ahead of the new season. I recently bought a CA Pro 2000 from Pakistan and so far I have found it perfect in every way. Light, good sweetspot and just the right size, if you're gonna buy a bat from abroad, I definately recomment it.

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
Im looking to buy a whole new set of cricket gear (pads,gloves, bat) and will be going around the local sports shops at the weekends so i could use the gear at next weeks winter nets for Blackheath. Is there any sports shops people recommend?

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Got a Diablo Ltd Edition for Christmas - nice sweet timing, particularly good at picking out the sole slip fielder

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I bought a bat at the end of last season (aa sports i think?)...it's thick and i smacked a rubber ball an absolute mile with it :happy:
I've been using a kashmir willow (nice and cheap) Slazenger 1200 that has had a bottom corner missing (happened first time i used it) for 2 years :sleep:

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
This is me in my cricket equipment! Im getting a BAS Vampire this year

GM Shoes and Purist bat
STAC pads and gloves
Albion test helmet
Lol Rich! By your head position it looks as if the ball is about to reach you and your bat is still a good foot behind you.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:

GM Shoes and Purist bat
STAC pads and gloves
Albion test helmet
where did you get your albion test helmet, i want want of those?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Armadillo said:
Lol Rich! By your head position it looks as if the ball is about to reach you and your bat is still a good foot behind you.
Looks like a great drive through backward square to me. :D

Might go and get a new bat on Monday. Probably go for a Hunts Insignia or the one with the honeycomb in it (can't remember what it's called now! :ph34r: )

open365

International Vice-Captain
^i think they stopped making the honey comb one.

anyway,i've been through a lot of gear.

GM helmet(the one micheal vaughan wears)-I changed it after a year,it was great fitting,but the grill had really poor visibility

Masuri test helmet(Jaquse Kallis style)-Best helmet ever

GM maxi 909 gloves-My best pair of gloves,really nice to wear and excellent protection

Hunts county(can't remember which ones,cost £35)-Nice to wear,but they had holes in after a year.

Gray Nicolls Gladius 4 star pads-A bit chunky but they fit me fine,and look great

Kookaburra bubble 4 star-Excellent starter bat,lightweight but is perfect for over the top hitting

Gray Nicols Gladius 5 star-Best bat ever,seriously,it's awesome,i cried when they went out of production

Gray Nicols powerbow 5 star-Big and Heavy,pickup is pretty awful

This season i've got a proper pair of Addidas bowling boots and i'm buying my bat on Saturday,probably gonna go for the Gary Nicols predator.

andyc

Langeveldt said:

GM Shoes and Purist bat
STAC pads and gloves
Albion test helmet
Very seperated grip you've got there on the bat Rich, kinda looks like the way I hold the bat.

I've got a Gray Nicolls Megadrive bat which I really like, cause it's light, which suits me, and has a great middle. For pads, I forget exactly what type they are, but I use Kookaburra ones which I find are really comfortable and easy to move with.

Edit: Upon actually going upstairs and looking, I now know they're Kookaburra Diablo Wizard pads, and, in perhaps my only claim to cricketing fame, were borrowed by Viv Richards during the Shanghai Sixes.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
I've just ordered my first helmet, parents have insisted following the top-edge incident...
I can appreciate that you wish to wear a helmet when bowling because of the ease of which you are straight-driven, but surely the top edge is only a danger to the wicketkeeper?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
open365 said:
^i think they stopped making the honey comb one.
Yeah, not sure about it. They still make the Modulus (remembered the name now :D ), the bat that they put the honeycomb in (well, that's the bat they did it with in Aus anyways) but whether or not they still put the honeycomb in it - I've heard differing accounts.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah top idea for a thread. By the way Armadillo, I've heard good things about CA Pro 2000. I'm thinking about eventually getting a CA myself, or a BAS Vampire. Both are quality.

The most recent bat I purchased is the MRF Genius. Love the middle on it. Edges are massive as well.

I've always liked the look of the Kookaburra Diablo. My captain uses it, I think I may borrow it off him in the nets today and see how that feels.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

BlackCap_Fan said:
Note: Helmets are for pussies.
Note: Not wearing a helmet is for people who have the following:

No teeth
No brain to damage
A bad boxer's nose

I nearly got hit (on the grill) when I jammed down on a yorker last Sunday... not wearing a helmet is simply dumb