• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Cricket Gear Thread

open365

International Vice-Captain
Thanks, I wouldn't of sold the Genius for $50 to anyone else besides my friend. I'm 18 and have known him 14 years.

But here is a gear story that might interest you and I'm still indifferent.

I'm still unsure whehter MRF is a cricketing brand. When I went to India in 2003 or 2004, I wanted to get another MRF. So I was shopping with a friend and I asked about MRFs. This guy is keen on cricket and he knows his stuff. He tells me that MRF just purhcases bats and places stickets on them - he said that MRFs were just BASs.

Now look at Tendulkar. His gloves and pads are BAS.

Thing is, MRF stands for Madras rubber factory. If you are akin to Indian cricket, you may have seen Honda Hero and Britannia stickets on Dravid and co bats. Honda, no explanation needed, Britannia is a biscuit company. So a lot of Indian cricketers have their major sponsors being not cricket ones.

But, where I get confused is that Cricket Australia have a limit on how much non-cricket advertising you can have on a bat. It's really small and usually placed at the apex of the 'meat.' You'll see Hayden and Symo with Ford and Gilly with Caltex. But Steve Waugh had MRF stickets the same size as Tendulkar.

So...is MRF a legitimate cricket brand? I assume so.

Also in regards to the small non-cricket sponsor stickers. I remember maybe about 4-5 years ago I saw English players raising there bats the wrong way (or non-traditional way). Sorry if I'm being CPT. Obvious here, but that is just a way to please both sponsors. Eg. Flintoff/KP, the back of the bat has more stickers and also there personal sponsor.
That's all true.

The same goes for BDM.

And alot of the bats you see on TV aren't acctualy made by the company who's stickers you see on them, Andrew Flintoff's bat is acctualy and county with woodworm stickers, and Stuart Law showed me and a few mates that his bat is acctualy a kookaburra which he puts GN stickers on for sponsorship purposes.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
That's all true.

The same goes for BDM.

And alot of the bats you see on TV aren't acctualy made by the company who's stickers you see on them, Andrew Flintoff's bat is acctualy and county with woodworm stickers, and Stuart Law showed me and a few mates that his bat is acctualy a kookaburra which he puts GN stickers on for sponsorship purposes.
Ok. But I'm still curious as to whether MRF is now a cricketing brand, cause as said with the Steve Waugh situation, Australian's can only have one non-cricket sponsor on their bat and the sticker has to be of a certain size - obviously, the MRF logo covers the the majority of the back and 1/3 of the face of the bat.

So to howardj, you're best bet is probably to find out what MRF bat you want and find its equivalent - you'll save plenty of money. Unless you went to India as I did, you'll save a lot of money regardless.

In Australian dollars, I remember the bats costing me $80 and $120, gloves $30 a pair and the pads being no more than $40 and they are all quality.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Bat:

Slazenger SXI Pro, 2 years old and it's getting to the stage where i'll need to replace it again. Was thinking GM or Gray-Nicholls but don't really know which bat to get.

Gloves:

Slazenger Elite Pro. Good gloves with decent protection on them, i'd recommend them to anybody.

Pads:

Fearnley, not sure of the price but they're decent pads.

Helmet:

Need to purchase one soon ITBT, especially now that i'm playing 1st XI cricket. I'm not really a batsman but i'd rather protect my head than take the chance.

Shoes:

CRK bowling boots. £50, good comfortable boots.

umop 3p!sdn

School Boy/Girl Captain
This is me in my cricket equipment! Im getting a BAS Vampire this year

GM Shoes and Purist bat
STAC pads and gloves
Albion test helmet

Dude what's with the grip? Nice photo though, I wish I could have soem taken like that.

I play 4th Division cricket at the moment, and my gear pads, gloves and helmet all baught at a good price evn though they are GM. Though my bat is a GM duellist original, I'm looking for something lighter.