• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Cricket Gear Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BlackCap_Fan said:
Note: Helmets are for pussies.
Ever found a massive spider in your helmet?

Lucky for me when I picked it up to put it on before going in the middle I saw it crawl out. I can't imagine what I would have done with the bowler coming in with a spider crawling around on my head. :shy:

ir0n desi

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I bought a SS Ton Viru recently from India. A very nice bat..better than my old ones. I usually used to use SG..but it didn't suit me that much so I decided to switch and this bat is my kind

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Note: Not wearing a helmet is for people who have the following:

No teeth
No brain to damage
A bad boxer's nose

I nearly got hit (on the grill) when I jammed down on a yorker last Sunday... not wearing a helmet is simply dumb
'Twas only joking. At any rate, I have problems with helmets - I find them uncomfortable. I just get out of the way.

Langeveldt

Soutie
andyc said:
Very seperated grip you've got there on the bat Rich, kinda looks like the way I hold the bat.
Yeah you aren't the first person to comment on that and probably won't be the last! I have a very top hand dominant grip because my left hand is stronger even though I'm a right handed batsman..

Armadillo - Dad bought my helmet from Melbourne in Australia.. You can get them from all Boundary Sport outlets in the UK, like at the Edgbaston, Lords or Taunton county ground shops.. Also can get them online at www.galaxycricket.co.uk (or .com).. They are expensive but soo worth the money, they look the part, feel great and are very light, come in loads of colours..

And regarding that picture, I scythed the ball hard to point and was caught for 10.. it was the last over of the game so I was trying to smack it about..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
Note: Not wearing a helmet is for people who have the following:

No teeth
No brain to damage
A bad boxer's nose

I nearly got hit (on the grill) when I jammed down on a yorker last Sunday... not wearing a helmet is simply dumb
try telling that to Brian Close.. Wearing a helmet can stop you from watching the ball properly, although I agree that it should be used.. I take mine off when the bowler is too slow to bowl a bouncer or the pitch is slow and low

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BlackCap_Fan said:
Only once have i ever been close to having a ball in the face...someone somehow managed to bowl a bouncer in our nets (never ever been done before) and i ended up having to play a hook shot at the last second as it was zeroed in on my face... :mellow:

andyc

Langeveldt said:
Yeah you aren't the first person to comment on that and probably won't be the last! I have a very top hand dominant grip because my left hand is stronger even though I'm a right handed batsman..
Ah. I'm almost completely bottom handed, and it leads me to play some very weird looking shots, probably solidifying my place in the very lower order.

As for helmets, I find it much harder to see the ball when wearing one. Unfortunately at school it's compulsory that we wear one, even against spinners.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BlackCap_Fan said:
I suppose you think boxes are for pussies, like our friend open365?

(Actually, I'm re-reading the first part of my sentence, and wondering about its suitability for a family forum...) :laugh:

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Voltman said:

(Actually, I'm re-reading the first part of my sentence, and wondering about its suitability for a family forum...) :laugh:

To be fair though, what you are protecting with a box is far more important than what you protect with a helmet. :p

By the way, excellent first sentence.

adharcric

International Coach
BlackCap_Fan said:
To be fair though, what you are protecting with a box is far more important than what you protect with a helmet. :p
that might be debatable. if you lose the latter, you won't be able to sense the former and its importance in your life. but yeah, the box is more important than the helmet.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:
The most recent bat I purchased is the MRF Genius. Love the middle on it. Edges are massive as well.

I've always liked the look of the Kookaburra Diablo. My captain uses it, I think I may borrow it off him in the nets today and see how that feels.
You can't really get more advertisement for the MRF. SRT, SRW and BCL are all users, maybe rivalled by Woodworm with Pieterson and Flintoff.
I recently got new wicketkeeping gloves for my birthday. Puma 5000, same as Geraint, (hope its not an omen) I've had a great time of it with them.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Voltman said:

I don't think boxes are for pussies,and i'm not trying to impress anyone at all, i don't wear them against school bowlers(my school) because they're so slow/bad that no lasting damage is caused even if i do mange to get hit,I'm not trying to be macho.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Inside edges, bottom edges... tennis balls are enough to cause serious pain. There's a bit of me that hopes you end infertile.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Masuri Test helmet(much better then my old albion one)
Gray Nicolls shoes(non spikes)
g-nPowerbow 3 star pads
g-n Powerbow 4 star gloves
(inevitable eeh) Powerbow 4 star bat
thats about it I guess.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BlackCap_Fan said:
Depends what you're packing downstairs...

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
open365 said:
I don't think boxes are for pussies,and i'm not trying to impress anyone at all, i don't wear them against school bowlers(my school) because they're so slow/bad that no lasting damage is caused even if i do mange to get hit,I'm not trying to be macho.
It's not so much the damage (although I reckon you'll be shooting blanks by the time you're 20), but good lord the pain and the pain in the glaven....

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
open365 said:
i don't wear them against school bowlers(my school) because they're so slow/bad that no lasting damage is caused even if i do mange to get hit.
By that logic, if you were to bed an unattractive girl...

Matteh

I find against the faster bowlers i can't see the ball much because of the helmet...
one match i got bowled out to a ball i couldn't see....although that could just be because of my batting....

as for the box issue....as neil said...it hurts enough with a tennis ball so i've always used one regardless of who is bowling

worst injury i've done involves me clubbing my foot with the bat when playing a slog...no helmet/box is going to protect me from that :happy: