• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Kenya Recieve Test Status?

masterblaster

International Captain
I think they do, they have a wonderful talent pool in Kenya and are certainly better than Bangladesh.

Guys like Tikolo, Odumbe, Ravindu Shah, Brijel Patel, Hitesh Modi are all class players.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Seeing as Bangladesh got test status I see no reason why Kenya shouldn't as well.

After all, based on the ICC Champions Trophy performances I would think Kenya would beat Bangladesh 9 times out of 10.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tikolo, Odumbe, Ravindu Shah, Brijel Patel, Hitesh Modi
And therein lies part of the problem:

Hitesh Modi = 31
Ravindu Shah = 30
Steve Tikolo = 31
Maurice Odumbe = 33

Okay they're not that old yet but these guys have played in virtually all of Kenya's one-day internationals so far and judging by what I saw in the tri-series in Nairobi, the team is very similar to that which I saw in the 1996 World Cup and I wonder if there are players behind these guys who will make the step up.

So yeah, whilst I'd love to see Kenya make Test status very soon (before Bangladesh in fact but oh well :)) because I reckon they could potentially be a great team and I just love watching them play, I don't know whether they have the finances or support in their country to make it a reality.

But I would certainly love to see them play in a Test.

Simon

i voted no for the following reasons

* their junior structure
* economy
* they have 1 ground, and thats not really even up to test standard
* they dont have enough depth

I agree that they should have had test status before bangladesh, but that was very political.
Malaysia will be a test playing nation before kenya.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Simon..isn't what you mentioned the same for Bangladesh? they are only just developing a structure now that they got accepted into test cricket & their home ground of Dhaka is barely international standard.

At least the Kenyan's know how to pace an innings of some sort, unlike Bangladesh who try to cut loose from ball one & end up being rolled for low scores without even trying.

Simon

Originally posted by Tim
Simon..isn't what you mentioned the same for Bangladesh? they are only just developing a structure now that they got accepted into test cricket & their home ground of Dhaka is barely international standard.

At least the Kenyan's know how to pace an innings of some sort, unlike Bangladesh who try to cut loose from ball one & end up being rolled for low scores without even trying.
No tim, i said that about kenya in a different thread, i just thought it was relevant here too.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I voted No for the simple reason that they need to play a lot more cricket and create an infrastructure that can produce more quality players before they can be accepted into test cricket.That will bring them up to a level where they can be competitive in test cricket.

Many will cite that Bangladesh is in the same league as Kenya and yet they are a test playing nation.IMO, the test playing status for Bangladesh was a political ploy on the part of Dalmiya and nothing more.Its very unfortunate, but that's what it is and was a horribly wrong decision.And committing it again in the case of Kenya won't make make it right.

sasnoz

Banned
kenya and bangladesh are always gonna get peeled in test cricket 4 the first couple of years
let kenya play tests so they can play bangladesh and have a tight game

Simon

the more i think about it the more im thinking no, if they cant compete with sides for 50 overs how are they going to do it for 5 days?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Its hard to say but I would like them to, if only to let Tikolo show what a quality player he is in something other than the one day game, his 1st Class Average is 17 runs higher than his one day one, it would be such a waste!

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
It don't work like that broncoman. Sides that can compete for five days can come up croppers in ODIs too.

Kenya has some really good players. I'm thinking that they are the only one of the 'minnows' that can actually claim to have some world class players.
Tikolo is (and has been for several years) a quality player.
Other chaps I like are Maurice Odumbe, Kennedy Otieno, Ravindu Shah, a certain opening bowler (I think Suji is his last name. not sure. he did well in a few matches that I saw in 98/99/00 period).

I agree that they must be required to develop some kind of infrastructure to be eligible to be a part of ICC's test championship. But I think that this policy of denying them international status is self defeating. ICC must be more innovative and find a way to get Kenya to play more cricket in international level than they do. They should also get Kenya to play the big teams every now and then, and then perhaps play them as an additional team in SA's domestic league (and Bangladesh in India/Pak/Sri Lanka's domestic league etc.).

Further, they should have a second tier championship, also considered international level, whose winners and runners up will get to be a part of the test championship.

Well ICC should come up with some plan at the least that makes sure Zim doesn't play just 11 ODIs in a full year run up to the World Cup, and Kenya play atleast that many times in a year !! This sucks. They are in effect required to be more consistant than the big guns.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shock horror!

I agree there, if there's a calander for proper Cricket, there needs to be one for the smash bang one day stuff (or is it 2 day's both scheduled for when rain was forecast so it's a draw?)

The problem is, at the moment, teams, quite understandably, don't want to tour ZIM or PAK.