• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist should retire from ODIs...

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Top_Cat said:
What drugs are you on? He's been right behind Ponting and Haydos in having a great year in 2005.

Last 15 Tests (as close to one year as I could get);

http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

1260 runs, avg 48.46, 2 100's, 7 50's

As for his injuries, one of them he had his rib broken by Gerard Denton (a guy who used to be in the Brett Lee region for raw pace and is still really fast); not much he could do about that!
Hey, I don't want him dropped. I can just see the media circus going his way soon.

BTW for 2005 his stats

12 23 3 872 105 43.60 1 5 7

Nowadays if you don't average over 50 you get a target on your back from the media.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hey, I don't want him dropped. I can just see the media circus going his way soon.
And that would be a different situation for him, how? :D

Seriously, the first couple of sentences in his Cricinfo profile say it all;

Justin Langer is perhaps the first Test opener in history to average in the mid-forties yet still be forever scrabbling for his spot in the side. Or at least that's the perception: in a land of dashers and crashers Langer is seen as a grafter, a battler, only ever a couple of failures away from oblivion.

And thanks for posting the correct stats. Still, that's about what he averages overall but I take your point.

Personally, the nest person to start wearing some media flak will be Hodge, I reckon.

Josh

International Regular
I'd say he (Hartley) is the best keeper-batsman but I have to say Crosthwaite is a better gloveman. Haven't seen all that much of Hartley tho so that probably comes into it a bit.

Last edited:

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Top_Cat said:
And that would be a different situation for him, how? :D

Seriously, the first couple of sentences in his Cricinfo profile say it all;

Justin Langer is perhaps the first Test opener in history to average in the mid-forties yet still be forever scrabbling for his spot in the side. Or at least that's the perception: in a land of dashers and crashers Langer is seen as a grafter, a battler, only ever a couple of failures away from oblivion.

And thanks for posting the correct stats. Still, that's about what he averages overall but I take your point.

Personally, the nest person to start wearing some media flak will be Hodge, I reckon.
Hodge is still on his honeymoon period, as is Symonds. There will probably whispers starting about McGrath but he should be safe for a while. The focus is still on Gilchrist.

BTW I love your avatar.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Josh said:
I'd say he (Hartley) is the best keeper-batsman but I have to say Crosthwaite is a better gloveman. Haven't seen all that much of Hartley tho so that probably comes into it a bit.
Crosthwaite is good, but nowhere near the class of Hartley. I wouldn't say Hartley's the best keeper-batsman in the country, he still has a bit of a way to go with his batting, but he is definitely the best gloveman.

Top_Cat

Crosthwaite is good, but nowhere near the class of Hartley. I wouldn't say Hartley's the best keeper-batsman in the country, he still has a bit of a way to go with his batting, but he is definitely the best gloveman.
To pace he's decent but that's about it (not his fault being from QLD and the plethora of pacers). All-round, Gillie still trumps him I'm afraid.

Mister Wright

Top_Cat said:
To pace he's decent but that's about it (not his fault being from QLD and the plethora of pacers). All-round, Gillie still trumps him I'm afraid.
You obviously haven't seen him keep up to the paceman or to the spinners. Granted our spinners aren't great but that doesn't stop him being a brilliant keeper against them. His dismisal of (I think it was O'Brien) when he was wrong footed and then had to dive to take a catch was sensational, and his catching of thin edges to the spinners and stumpings have been as sharp as any keeper to ever play the game.

Top_Cat

You obviously haven't seen him keep up to the paceman or to the spinners. Granted our spinners aren't great but that doesn't stop him being a brilliant keeper against them. His dismisal of (I think it was O'Brien) when he was wrong footed and then had to dive to take a catch was sensational, and his catching of thin edges to the spinners and stumpings have been as sharp as any keeper to ever play the game.
Yeesh, exaggerate much?

Yes I've seen him keep and my opinion stands; potentially good but not quite there yet.

Mister Wright

Top_Cat said:
Yeesh, exaggerate much?

Yes I've seen him keep and my opinion stands; potentially good but not quite there yet.
What so it was ok when Ponting was touted as a test player when he debuted for Tasmania at 17, but not to rate Hartley as a future test player?

I bet you'd have a different opinion if Hartley was from the great South Australia...:notworthy

Josh

International Regular
Top_Cat said:
We're talking about the next gen keepers tho, not Gilly.

deeps

International 12th Man
ffs, when an older player is out of form

"OOH he should retire, his time is up etc etc."

When a younger player is out of form

"Let him be, he will come good"

seriously, it's farcical that when a 30+ player hits a form slump, they get dropped forever, but when a younger player goes through a slump, they are kept. A player like gilly is bound to go into slumps, due to his style of batting. Give the bloke a chance for crying out loud

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But the problem is when does it change from a form slump to a case of age catching up with the player?

Top_Cat

What so it was ok when Ponting was touted as a test player when he debuted for Tasmania at 17, but not to rate Hartley as a future test player?
No-one touted Ponting as the best batsman in Australia at the time, though.............. And why even bring it up? That was stuff that other people said, not me. Main you raise some weird points sometimes.

I bet you'd have a different opinion if Hartley was from the great South Australia..
8-)

We're talking about the next gen keepers tho, not Gilly.
You may be but if you believe Mr Wright, Hartley is already the best 'keeper in the country. Bit of a different thing to claim that Hartley is the best of the next-gen vs claiming he's the best full-stop. He's entitled to his opinion, though, but I'm entitled to mine (see above).

Mister Wright

Top_Cat said:
No-one touted Ponting as the best batsman in Australia at the time, though.............. And why even bring it up? That was stuff that other people said, not me. Main you raise some weird points sometimes.
I brought that up because Ponting's talent was obviously, obvious during his early career, and the same can be said for Hartley. It had nothing to do with what you said.