• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist should retire from ODIs...

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Yeah but 41 tells the story of Mark Waugh, that's just too low to ignore. I laughed out loud when he started criticising Lara's technique and batting style on Inside Cricket. Mark Waugh may have been an attractive batsman to watch, but he wasn't a great test match batsman.
20 test hundreds might say different.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
GoT_SpIn said:
Yeah it is

The best Cricket biography i have read though is Steve Waugh's "out of my comfort zone". A great book which reviels alot about members of the team during his team. Also the funny pranks he did are a good laugh
Currently in the finishing stages of "Slats - The Michael Slater Story" and it is one of the greatest book I've ever read.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Julian also believes a squad of 15-16 should play a cricket match with a baseball style different people batting and bowling.
shows how much attentionwe should be paying to him does't it?

danish

U19 12th Man
Pratyush said:
Julian also believes a squad of 15-16 should play a cricket match with a baseball style different people batting and bowling.
I wonder who else here has the guts to admit that (if they do) they would like to see a form of Cricket where throwing is allowed, squads of 15-16 and different batsmen and bowlers. Of course, don't get carried away with the idea that I actually want this. I'm just wondering if anyone else does, and if they do, if they're brave enough to declare it on this forum. Indeed, I make the blasphemous, preposterous suggestion that Cricket take a step backwards and abandon the supersub rule. Also, don't think this is me standing up for Julian.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well Jaques has been called up great that IMO, but he will open with Martyo i would have gone for Pup but we'll see how things go tomoro morning.

Also looking foward to seeing dorey bowl..

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Yeah but 41 tells the story of Mark Waugh, that's just too low to ignore. I laughed out loud when he started criticising Lara's technique and batting style on Inside Cricket. Mark Waugh may have been an attractive batsman to watch, but he wasn't a great test match batsman.
Why isn't he allowed to criticise Lara's technique and batting Style? Maybe in his opinion Lara shouldn't be shuffling across his crease so much or something.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
James90 said:
Currently in the finishing stages of "Slats - The Michael Slater Story" and it is one of the greatest book I've ever read.
Is it? Some people say its a bit confusing. I might give it a go after i finish Steve Waugh's bio

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
This thread is stupid. People love to jump on the band wagon. Gilly has two one day centuries in his last 10 matches. Even through his 15 match 'slump' hes averaging over 30 so I dont really see a problem at all.
A player thats served his country so well for close to a decade should be allowed to have a small slump ffs.

Josh

International Regular
GoT_SpIn said:
Well how can you compare hogg to warne seriously? have seen him say he rates plenty of players. Great player...ill bring the old cliche out "averages don't tell the whole story"
Can't be done.

One's left-handed and one's right-handed for god sake :p

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Linda said:
Agreed wholeheartedly. Makes sense!
Edit: Except for the Hartley part..
No matter what you think about your Ronchi boy, Hartley will be Australia's next long term keeper, considering he was picked to replace Haddin in the Australia 'A' squad and wasn't even his state's full time keeper (It was after the 'A' tour that Secombe retired). Unless he has absolutely shocking seasons with the bat he is a shoe-in, considering he is already the best gloveman in the country.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
No matter what you think about your Ronchi boy, Hartley will be Australia's next long term keeper, considering he was picked to replace Haddin in the Australia 'A' squad and wasn't even his state's full time keeper (It was after the 'A' tour that Secombe retired). Unless he has absolutely shocking seasons with the bat he is a shoe-in, considering he is already the best gloveman in the country.
good point, nice to hear he has been touted as the best glovesman in the country already...

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Arrow said:
This thread is stupid. People love to jump on the band wagon. Gilly has two one day centuries in his last 10 matches. Even through his 15 match 'slump' hes averaging over 30 so I dont really see a problem at all.
A player thats served his country so well for close to a decade should be allowed to have a small slump ffs.
Damien Martyn?

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Arrow said:
The media has to have something to write about. Being always positive is considered boring so they seem to focus on one player.

It was Hayden's turn last time, Ponting before him and now Gilchrist. My prediction for the next player for the media to pick on will be Justin Langer. (His stats haven't been spectacular in the last year and with his age and the injuries he has had and the predictable push from NSW to Jaques in the side)

p.s. I think Jaques is a good player who will play more test cricket but I don't think Langer has reached his used by date yet.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
(His stats haven't been spectacular in the last year and with his age and the injuries he has had and the predictable push from NSW to Jaques in the side)
What drugs are you on? He's been right behind Ponting and Haydos in having a great year in 2005.

Last 15 Tests (as close to one year as I could get);

http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

1260 runs, avg 48.46, 2 100's, 7 50's

As for his injuries, one of them he had his rib broken by Gerard Denton (a guy who used to be in the Brett Lee region for raw pace and is still really fast); not much he could do about that!

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
Im not neccesarily saying Ronchi will be it, I just dont think its a one horse race to replace Gilchrist.