• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist should retire from ODIs...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
...and Brendon Julian agrees with me!

I thought a few years back that Gilchrist should retire from test cricket and concentrate on ODIs if the workload got to much for him with Secombe to step up for tests, but now I don't think there is a keeper ready for the test team, but Haddin is more than capable for the ODI side so the time is right for Gilchrist to step aside, and by the time he is finished with test cricket Hartley would be more than ready.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Agreed wholeheartedly. Makes sense!
Edit: Except for the Hartley part..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Do you agree with the rest of Julian's supposition - that Glenn McGrath ought to retire from ODI's too?

What's the highest priority - Ashes or WC2007?

howardj

International Coach
Playing only one form of the game, has been really good for Matt Hayden's Test career. His improved performance has been enormously beneficial for the Test team, while his absence from the ODI team has not really harmed its cause. I think it could work out much the same if Gilchrist was dropped from the ODI team. Because, make no mistake, he will not retire from ODI cricket. He has a burning ambition to win three World Cups.

But, with some good performances from Brad Haddin in the next few matches, the decision could well be taken out of Gilchrist's hands. Everything moves on, and I just don't think Gilchrist is the player that he was, and that any of Clarke, Martyn, Jacques or Haddin would be any less effective at the top of the order - while our Test team would certainly be more effective if Gilchrist was confined to that form of the game only.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
. Because, make no mistake, he will not retire from ODI cricket. He has a burning ambition to win three World Cups.

How do you know?

BTW, i hate how they "rest" him. Either drop him or make him work for his rests. Bludger :p

Deja moo

International Captain
Why not simply rest him for a few ODI games every tour instead of retiring from one format altogether ? Cricket Australia can't afford Haddins plane tickets or what ?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
maybe they should just play slightly less cricket full stop?

personally i think he should do what he wants to do rather than what other people think he should do.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Gilchrist was invincible until England spooked him with reverse swing. It's entirely a confidence issue. He just needs to get back to basics: if it's full, drive it; if it's short, hook, pull or cut it; and if it's on a good length, stop it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Julian also believes a squad of 15-16 should play a cricket match with a baseball style different people batting and bowling.

On this - Gilly should and looks likely to play till 2007 for LOIs at least. Try and help Australia win another world cup

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I just think they can keep resting him for relatively meaningless ODIs when they have already won a series (like the dead rubber against NZ this year) or when Australia have already qualified for a final or should, such as in this VB Series.

I reckon Gilly will play on to the 2007 WC, and I reckon he can if he's handled properly. Same goes for McGrath as well.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Julian also believes a squad of 15-16 should play a cricket match with a baseball style different people batting and bowling.

On this - Gilly should and looks likely to play till 2007 for LOIs at least. Try and help Australia win another world cup
Did he actually say that? What a ret...special person

Josh

International Regular
Gilchrist won't be moving over before the '07 World Cup. Nor should he. I was harsh on him when I was calling for his replacement earlier in the month :p He simply needs more rest.

And Haddin as replacement full-time probably isn't the way Cricket Australia want to go anyway, in fact I know it isn't as they made it known that the next national keeper wouldn't be coming from the current stocks (that was 2 or 3 seasons ago), that's why all the youngens have been blooded: Ronchi, Crosthwaite, Hartley, etc.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
howardj said:
If they're looking long-term, Clarke would be the best replacement MO. The limited opportunities he's had there he's looked the goods, with his only 2 tons being brought up in that position. He's a good finisher of the game, and burst upon the scene in India in 2003 often finishing off Australia's innings in style, but one thinks with Hussey there (and Gilly going to 7 apparently) that spot is filled and he can open.

Obviously Martyn is an option (particularly with the way he's been batting lately) but how much longer is he going to be playing ODI cricket for? Considering Katich always seems one failure away from being dropped (poor bugger), if they are looking for a permanent replacement for the next few years Clarke would be my bet.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Personaly i don't think anything anyone does will help Gilchrist anymore,I may live to regret theese words,but Gilly is gone.

His pattern of form has convinced me tht he'll never be anywhere near as good as he used to be.

I've thought that he'd regained his form twice now in the past 3 months,after a terrible ashes series,he comes back strong against the world 11,i think he's back to his best but then he fails in the windies,so i'm confused,then he hits 80 against south africa and i think that he's defintely got it back,but now he's been dropped as an opener and i think he's lost it.