• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist should retire from ODIs...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Jaques is the next opener in line - He and Martyn would be my picks at the moment - though Katich hasn't done much wrong either.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Maybe it's the combination of opening and keeping that needs to be reviewed. Batting him at 7 will relieve some pressure. They also need to get Jaques in the side to see how he'll go.

Gilly doesn't need to retire from ODIs yet though he needs to find some form sooner or later.

McGrath will keep going. He needs regular bowling to keep his body going. The ODIs give him the opportunity to keep moving.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't really like the idea of Clarke opening, he seems to be a bit unsure. I'd love to see Jaques in the team, but I'm not sure who they would drop. I think Gilchrist batting down the order is a good idea, as it enables him to come in, either one before or after Hussey and just hit out in the last 10.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
not yet at least he should go up to the WC & then what happens form their happens...

edit just read that article and I dunno if i agree with the decision to end his time as an opener i hope he adapts well to that position between now & world cup since he's been so succesful at the top for such a long time for me when he returns & doesn't look comfortable their i saw its best they drop him & make haddin the keeper.

for me now the best long term options at the top would be Jaques/Clarke, Martyn should remain at 4 it will give the middle order stability & Hussey should remain where he is. So here is me remaped team for the WC

Jaques
Clarke
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Hussey
Gilchrist/Haddin - subject to performances for gilly if not Haddin
Watson
Lee
Gillespie/Bracken/Tait - any of these 3 could be here
McGrath

Warne or Hogg - super sub

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Playing only one form of the game, has been really good for Matt Hayden's Test career. His improved performance has been enormously beneficial for the Test team, while his absence from the ODI team has not really harmed its cause. I think it could work out much the same if Gilchrist was dropped from the ODI team. Because, make no mistake, he will not retire from ODI cricket. He has a burning ambition to win three World Cups.

But, with some good performances from Brad Haddin in the next few matches, the decision could well be taken out of Gilchrist's hands. Everything moves on, and I just don't think Gilchrist is the player that he was, and that any of Clarke, Martyn, Jacques or Haddin would be any less effective at the top of the order - while our Test team would certainly be more effective if Gilchrist was confined to that form of the game only.
this makes a lot of sense howard i cant disagree here, especially with the aspect of how it will help the test side.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
WRT to Clarke...

I was listening to an ex-first class cricketer be questioned about what he thought of him. He talked about how the batsmen who have been the stalwarts in the side over the past 10 years - the Haydens, Martyns, Blewetts, Langers, Elliotts, and others of that sort of period (getting to about 32 or so now) all had a very sound defence from a really early age, and built their game around that.

Clarke seems to have all the strokes, and has based his game around that. It's often his defence that doesn't look the part in the international arena.

howardj

International Coach
vic_orthdox said:
WRT to Clarke...

I was listening to an ex-first class cricketer be questioned about what he thought of him. He talked about how the batsmen who have been the stalwarts in the side over the past 10 years - the Haydens, Martyns, Blewetts, Langers, Elliotts, and others of that sort of period (getting to about 32 or so now) all had a very sound defence from a really early age, and built their game around that.

Clarke seems to have all the strokes, and has based his game around that. It's often his defence that doesn't look the part in the international arena.
That's a great point.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Josh said:
Gilchrist won't be moving over before the '07 World Cup. Nor should he. I was harsh on him when I was calling for his replacement earlier in the month :p He simply needs more rest.

And Haddin as replacement full-time probably isn't the way Cricket Australia want to go anyway, in fact I know it isn't as they made it known that the next national keeper wouldn't be coming from the current stocks (that was 2 or 3 seasons ago), that's why all the youngens have been blooded: Ronchi, Crosthwaite, Hartley, etc.
how does he deserve a rest when he is not peforming well? Mcgrath earned his rest for the NZ tour, so should Gilly

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
not yet at least he should go up to the WC & then what happens form their happens...

edit just read that article and I dunno if i agree with the decision to end his time as an opener i hope he adapts well to that position between now & world cup since he's been so succesful at the top for such a long time for me when he returns & doesn't look comfortable their i saw its best they drop him & make haddin the keeper.

for me now the best long term options at the top would be Jaques/Clarke, Martyn should remain at 4 it will give the middle order stability & Hussey should remain where he is. So here is me remaped team for the WC

Jaques
Clarke
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Hussey
Gilchrist/Haddin - subject to performances for gilly if not Haddin
Watson
Lee
Gillespie/Bracken/Tait - any of these 3 could be here
McGrath

Warne or Hogg - super sub
I assume your picking warne if his available though..

Was funny on inside cricket when they were discussing Warne coming back to play ODI's and BJ is like hey guys what about brad hogg, his figures aren't to bad. But then Mark Waugh completely rejects him by saying "umm well i don't think you can compare the two"

*whistles* well i found it funny..

howardj

International Coach
GoT_SpIn said:
I assume your picking warne if his available though..

Was funny on inside cricket when they were discussing Warne coming back to play ODI's and BJ is like hey guys what about brad hogg, his figures aren't to bad. But then Mark Waugh completely rejects him by saying "umm well i don't think you can compare the two"

*whistles* well i found it funny..
I don't think Junior Waugh rates anyone though! - except himself, though he only averaged 41. Good bloke though.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
I don't think Junior Waugh rates anyone though! - except himself, though he only averaged 41. Good bloke though.
Well how can you compare hogg to warne seriously? have seen him say he rates plenty of players. Great player...ill bring the old cliche out "averages don't tell the whole story"

howardj

International Coach
GoT_SpIn said:
Well how can you compare hogg to warne seriously? have seen him say he rates plenty of players. Great player...ill bring the old cliche out "averages don't tell the whole story"
I agree RE: Hoggy. Just making a general observation about Junior. He is particularly blunt. But it's refreshing to hear some honesty among commentators, rather than them treading on egg-shells all of the time.

And, yeah, Junior was a good package (free-scorer; great in the field; good presence etc). Just that I think his batting was a little over-rated. Still one of my favourite players though.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
I agree RE: Hoggy. Just making a general observation about Junior. He is particularly blunt. But it's refreshing to hear some honesty among commentators, rather than them treading on egg-shells all of the time.

And, yeah, Junior was a good package (free-scorer; great in the field; good presence etc). Just that I think his batting was a little over-rated. Still one of my favourite players though.
Yeah agree with you on junoir. I hate commentators who are to scared to comment on a player in a negative way simply because they don't want to tread on any toes or hurt someone confidence or something like that.

You should get Junoir's biography if you like him

howardj

International Coach
GoT_SpIn said:
Yeah agree with you on junoir. I hate commentators who are to scared to comment on a player in a negative way simply because they don't want to tread on any toes or hurt someone confidence or something like that.

You should get Junoir's biography if you like him
Got it. Written by James Knight. It's great.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah it is

The best Cricket biography i have read though is Steve Waugh's "out of my comfort zone". A great book which reviels alot about members of the team during his team. Also the funny pranks he did are a good laugh

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GoT_SpIn said:
Yeah it is

The best Cricket biography i have read though is Steve Waugh's "out of my comfort zone". A great book which reviels alot about members of the team during his team. Also the funny pranks he did are a good laugh
:laugh:

Yeah, I'm almost finished it. I love how, in high school, he invited everyone in his biology class except the nerd over to his house to watch an X rated movie, only for the left out nerd to tell on them.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
:laugh:

Yeah, I'm almost finished it. I love how, in high school, he invited everyone in his biology class except the nerd over to his house to watch an X rated movie, only for the left out nerd to tell on them.
Yeah :laugh: And when they let an aussie supporter field for them :D

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
GoT_SpIn said:
Yeah but 41 tells the story of Mark Waugh, that's just too low to ignore. I laughed out loud when he started criticising Lara's technique and batting style on Inside Cricket. Mark Waugh may have been an attractive batsman to watch, but he wasn't a great test match batsman.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jono said:
Yeah but 41 tells the story of Mark Waugh, that's just too low to ignore. I laughed out loud when he started criticising Lara's technique and batting style on Inside Cricket. Mark Waugh may have been an attractive batsman to watch, but he wasn't a great test match batsman.
I dont see how Waugh criticising Lara's batting technique is any more or less funny than members here criticising the batting techniques of players like Amla etc.

Whether you can do any better yourself is irrelevant to any observations you make.