• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is a meaningless game ?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ohtani's jacket said:
Well, Lara's 375 was 10th in the Wisden 100 & Sobers 365* was tied for 33rd...
The significance, other than in quantity, of Laras' innings can basically be discarded as they were batting exhibitions.

At least Sobers' innings produced in a result.

C_C

International Captain
social said:
The significance, other than in quantity, of Laras' innings can basically be discarded as they were batting exhibitions.

At least Sobers' innings produced in a result.

Result depends on the whole team, not just a solitary batsman. which is why IMO rankings that take into account the match-result totally miss the point.

social

C_C said:
Result depends on the whole team, not just a solitary batsman. which is why IMO rankings that take into account the match-result totally miss the point.
Cricket = team game

Team objective = win

C_C

International Captain
social said:
Cricket = team game

Team objective = win

Yes but individual performances should be evaluated by its own accord and not what the match outcome is/was. Several bowlers have been part of a losing side due to pathetic batting and vice versa. It is not the fault of players like Lara, Hadlee etc. that the rest of their team was poor. And it certainly doesnt take away from their performances simply because their teammates were inept.

social

C_C said:
Yes but individual performances should be evaluated by its own accord and not what the match outcome is/was. Several bowlers have been part of a losing side due to pathetic batting and vice versa. It is not the fault of players like Lara, Hadlee etc. that the rest of their team was poor. And it certainly doesnt take away from their performances simply because their teammates were inept.
In the case of certain record performances, the fact that his team did not ultimately achieve a victory had little or nothing to do with the ineptness or otherwise of his team-mates.

In most examples, it was a result of conditions being so overwhelmingly in favour of one discipline.

Take Lara's 400 no for example.

Great for him - undoubtedly

Memorable - ditto

Inspiring to his countrymen - ditto

Requiring great skill and concentration - ditto

Has he played other innings that were better for his team - certainly

His best innings - not by a long way

Langeveldt

Soutie
Like a declaration, opposing captains should be able to agree when no result is possible and call the game off, hopefull they would be unlikely to do that if any major records were about to be broken..

Deja moo

International Captain
Declaring to call a match off is a poor idea IMO. Manjrekar pointed out how many spectators go through the trouble of making a journey to another country just to watch the cricket. You cannot snub them by refusing to play on. I'm sure there were many Indians in the crowd today who'd rather have watched India bat on, even if a result seemed impossible, than see the game being called off.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
:)
Deja moo said:
Declaring to call a match off is a poor idea IMO. Manjrekar pointed out how many spectators go through the trouble of making a journey to another country just to watch the cricket. You cannot snub them by refusing to play on. I'm sure there were many Indians in the crowd today who'd rather have watched India bat on, even if a result seemed impossible, than see the game being called off.
YES.

Just imagine if a whole days play was possible today or even fiour hours and Sehwag made a serious effort to blast his way to 400 before the day ended, it would have been a great drama within an otherwise dead game.

This what the beauty of this game is. There are individual feats within the team goal. These individual feats are remembered at least as much if not more in some cases than the teams achievements. One cant decry them.

Some of these feats will be in winning causes and others in losing causes (Gavaskar's 96 in his last innings) and still others in drawn games. I dont think Gavaskars feat of showing his great technique on a terrible wicket against spinners turning the ball square becomes any the lesser depending upon the result of the match.

Even if no result was possible in a match, it would have been an absolute feast for anyone to have watched that innings.

In fact, thats why I was disappointed with Inzy not trying to unsettle Sehwag with bouncers from Shoaib. It would have enlivened this dead match if there was a battle within the larger war as it were.

Thats all I have to say. :)

PS : This is not a case in favour of dead wickets, which I despise and for me great bowling is what makes for great cricket, but just to state that individual performances and feats can be a great source of entertainment even in dead or one sided matches. I love to watch Tatenda Taibu fight a lone battle for his miserable Zimbabwe side. I switch of the Telly once he gets out though :)

howardj

International Coach
SJS said:
What is meaningless ??

QUOTE]

Half the bloody games in the VB series. Twelve games are played, in order to eliminate just one team! It just drags on and on.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Deja moo said:
I have no argument with that at all.

As far as I'm concerned, if the captains wish to call the game off with more than half an hour of the final day's play to go, they should also forego their match fees.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
SJS said:
What is meaningless ??

QUOTE]

Half the bloody games in the VB series. Twelve games are played, in order to eliminate just one team! It just drags on and on.
You know something Howard. I dont know about others but while I love watching good test cricket even if India are not playing, I will rarely watch a one day game if India were not involved.

World cup is an exception.

Three nation tournaments are not such a great idea I feel. It is somehow a bit forced.

Deja moo

International Captain
The Titan Cup was one classic Tri-series. No other triangular has satisfied me as much since...

Deja moo

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
I have no argument with that at all.

As far as I'm concerned, if the captains wish to call the game off with more than half an hour of the final day's play to go, they should also forego their match fees.
But that doesnt do the spectator at the ground any good either...

Xuhaib

International Coach
Orignally Posted by Deja moo
The Titan Cup was one classic Tri-series. No other triangular has satisfied me as much since...
Titan cup was good because it had one team that was dominant and never looked like loosing in the round matches, then were 2 teams who were at a similar level and they had a dog fight to reach the final.

The thing that made it special was that in the final the underdog (which also happened to be the home team) defeated the overwhelming favourite. Though i doubt you would have looked at it differently then any other tri-series if India would have lost the final.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
SJS said:
As I write this, India are 276 runs behind Pakistan with 10 1st innings wickets in hand. Theoretically there can still be a result in the match but that aside this match has no interest from a result perspective. Yet there are other things. To enumerate what comes immidiately to mind

1. Dravid and Sehwag 11 away from the wworlds highest opening partnership
2. Sehwag could get another triple century and join Bradman and Lara.
3. These two could score another 175 runs and have the highest partnership for any wicket ever.
4. Sehwag has an outside chance to go for Lara'a 400
5. India could score 600 for none or one or some such score and really grind Pakistan's confidence into the dust.

Should the umpires call it off because it has no possibilities of a result ?

Should this become a standard to be followed for future games (Remember Sri Lanka batting almost till the end of the last day in their first innings against India and scoring nearly a thousand runs) ?

Who should decide enough is enough and individual records dont matter once the match is "meaningless"?

What is meaningless ??

:huh: :huh: :huh:
Meaningless is when there is no chance of a result!

cricket is about one team trying to beat another and if personal records should matter in any way (and I personally couldnt care less as to whether a dead pitch means some record is broken) then these records should be set within a real game.

It isnt possible to stop the match before well into the last day, realistically, as an awful lot can happen on a last day. who knows, had the opponent been Bangladesh or Zim, perhaps a result would have been at least a possibility.
It would be too difficult to find an objective reason as to when hopeless matches should be stopped and its far more important trying to get the pitches the right.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
As for all this PAK v IND is the greatest thing ever, far bigger than the ashes etc., I have no problem with that at all even as a huge fan of the ashes.

I know cricket is entering a new phase where India will completly dominate the financial side of things and I welcome that as it may well raise the profile considerably in the rest of the world.

However for Pak v Ind to get this recognition they need to put on a show.

They need to fill the venues.
They need to get far better pitches.
They need proper scheduling. ( 5 tests /2 years)

(this is obviously all connected, so they should just get to work.

Then I think anyone will welcome it as the biggest series there is.

Its no use ignoring the problems

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Deja moo said:
But that doesnt do the spectator at the ground any good either...
Over to you then - what should be the penalty for a captain failing to fulfil his obligations to those students of the game who wish to wrest every last drop out of a dead game?

I can only think of a few without resorting to extreme measures:

1. Deprive them of their match fee
2. Deprive them of their dinner
3. Deprive them of their liberty
4. Deprive them of their trousers and make them run the gauntlet of wet towels

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
:)
YES.

Just imagine if a whole days play was possible today or even fiour hours and Sehwag made a serious effort to blast his way to 400 before the day ended, it would have been a great drama within an otherwise dead game.

This what the beauty of this game is. There are individual feats within the team goal. These individual feats are remembered at least as much if not more in some cases than the teams achievements. One cant decry them.

Sorry but I totally disagree with you there.

Wins are important and not records. There is an obsession with records. I do not see the big deal. I can understand a young test team like Bangladesh savouring the first test century of a player but it doesn't matter generally as far as I am concerned.

I will remember players for more for trying to win matches and matches they helped their team win than for statistical records they might have achieved.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Deja moo said:
You play an exhibition one dayer or two in the time left. I am sure they will like that better than the draw which is inevitable.

I think India did that with a team when a few days were rained off on an ocassion.. It was either Sri Lanka or West Indies - most likely Sri Lanka if I am not mistaken.