• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Under 19 World Cup Thread***

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Fixtures
Squads

OK, so it might be a bit facetious me starting this thread, but still, it's only a bit over two weeks away.

Groups A and B will see one of the stronger sides miss out on qualifying - with Bangladesh's strength at U/19, and Australia's performance at the last WC creating a dogfight between themselves, the Windies and the South Africans. England have done themselves well with the draw, while one would expect India and Sri Lanka to qualify comfortably.

India look like the team to beat, while the rest of the subcontinent sides should be there and about. New Zealand have stayed off the radar, while there should be a few of the supposed "minnows" - read Nepal, especially - who cause a few suprises.

The practice matches on the three preceding days to the Opening Ceremony should provide the best form guide. Till then, in all truth, it's just guesswork.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really looks like England have lucked out there with that draw. When do teams find out who they're playing in the practice matches?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ are sending one of their strongest sides in recent times I believe. A few players now have First class experience.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
andyc said:
Really looks like England have lucked out there with that draw. When do teams find out who they're playing in the practice matches?
I think the teams themselves know. Just mustn't have been publicised.

Aus have Ind and Pak in their practice matches.

andyc

vic_orthdox said:
I think the teams themselves know. Just mustn't have been publicised.

Aus have Ind and Pak in their practice matches.
Are full strength teams being fielded for them?

And if you had to pick a winner (objectively), who do you reckon it would be?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
andyc said:
Are full strength teams being fielded for them?

And if you had to pick a winner (objectively), who do you reckon it would be?
I'd say that the teams would be putting full-strength sides out on the park. I'm sure that's the angle Australia will take - our previous matches have entailed much experimentation with line-ups, captains, etc.

India have won all the series that they've played so far in the past year, and would look like the favourites. Especially with the tournament being in the subcontinent - last time it was in Sri Lanka, three of the four semi-finalists were Ind, Pak and SL.

Last edited:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
vic_orthdox said:
I'd say that the teams would be putting full-strength sides out on the park. I'm sure that's the angle Australia will take - our previous matches have entailed much experimentation with line-ups, captains, etc.

India have knocked over all comers so far in the past year, and would look like the favourites. Especially with the tournament being in the subcontinent - last time it was in Sri Lanka, three of the four semi-finalists were Ind, Pak and SL.
So you guys don't have a chance? Great confidence there

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
burkey_1988 said:
Where did I say we don't have a chance?

I ain't speaking any more on this thread. Just a recipe for trouble.

Last edited:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
vic_orthdox said:
Where did I say we don't have a chance? We go there expecting to win. I believe we can - and should - beat India.
Haha, calm down Jackaroo. Just teasing. Backing you guys in all the way, just found it odd you didn't mention Australia above.

adharcric

International Coach
I think Piyush Chawla will turn out huge for India in this tournament. There are others like Cheteshwar Pujara and Mayank Tehlan, but I think Chawla will become the 2nd one-day spinner for India at some point in 2006.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well in the england team my friend, club & school mate John Simpson is in the team, very good wicket-keeper/batsman big things are expected from him from the lads at old trafford for sure.

andyc

burkey_1988 said:
Woah. Come on Burpey, I was just trying to find out who the favourites were, which Jack told me. Obviously Jack's going to go in believing that Australia can and will win, as will every country (apart from USA and the like).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
vic_orthdox said:
Where did I say we don't have a chance?

I ain't speaking any more on this thread. Just a recipe for trouble.
Now look what you've done Burpey! Our best source of info on this subject is gone!

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
vic_orthdox said:
Meh, I won't be able to resist posting in here anyways :p

Just thought I'd do a bit of research on how Bob coped with not making the American side (I'm pretty sure he didn't - there's no Fardin there!).

Obviously not all that well...
By the way, sorry again Jack. I didn't mean to cause any trouble. I will be on my best behaviour now :)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'm a bit concerned about the strength of the Australian left-arm orthodox department... is there anyone on here who could soothe and calm my worries? :D

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Voltman said:
I'm a bit concerned about the strength of the Australian left-arm orthodox department... is there anyone on here who could soothe and calm my worries? :D
Jon Holland's a great left arm orthodox bowler. He'll carry the spin department - probably single handedly...

andyc

James90 said:
Haha onya Bob. Most improved member.
Hmmm...

Says one member in reply to Bob:
'Whats your name? i would like to look up your profile'
Response from one of the mods
'He's talking crap, as usual.'