• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Under 19 World Cup Thread***

Arumpnoo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It has been just two years since the world cup, I think they will get a chance after 2007 world cup. If anyone knows how they are performing at national level, please enlighten us.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil Pickup said:
Alistair Cook has been called up by England. Xavier Marshall and Nafis Iqbal have both played Internationally, whilst Eoin Morgan has played for Ireland's senior side. Suresh Raina has played 13 ODIs, and Upul Thuranga and Brendon Taylor are both fixtures in national ODI squads.

Aftab Ahmed hit that six at Cardiff, Denesh Ramdin is now the West Indies' #1 keeper whilst Dinesh Karthik is India's #2 behind the stumps. Enamul Haque won a Test for Bangladesh with his left arm spin, whilst Farveez Maharoof and Nazmul Hossain have both had varying impacts on the International arena with their seam-up, as have the Zimbabweans Graeme Cremer, Tinashe Panyangara, Ed Rainsford, Prosper Utseya and Elton Chigumbura. Liam Plunkett has broken into the England Test side, Talha Jubair and Shahadat Hossain into the Bangladeshi picture, whilst Sean Williams isn't far away from a call.

Neither Pathan nor Butt played.
David Gower and Chris Cowdrey played back in the day. Jimmy Adams and a few other West Indians in the late 80s. Ravi Rampaul played with good impact mefinks.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
David Gower and Chris Cowdrey played back in the day. Jimmy Adams and a few other West Indians in the late 80s. Ravi Rampaul played with good impact mefinks.
They played in the 2004 U19 WC?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil Pickup said:
They played in the 2004 U19 WC?
Of course. Weren't you paying attention in 2004?

............"David Gower and Chris Cowdrey played back in the day."

I wasn't adding to your list. It was a btw sort of thing.

Loony BoB

International Captain
danish said:
Has anyone from last year's U-19 World Cup done remotely well on the world stage? I know Riaz Afridi played 1 or 2 matches for Pakistan, but failed. I think he had a suspect action as well.
Of the NZ'ers in the 2002 tournament, names to have emerged that I see include Taylor, Nicol and Sherlock. I believe they've all played A-tour games for NZ and Taylor is all but a certainty to become a future black cap. Rob Nicol has NZ listed as one of his teams on Cricinfo, although he's not played a test or an ODI, so who knows.

A bunch of NZ'ers have started their climb in the U-19 world cup though - "An impressive collection of Black Cap stars, including Chris Cairns, Lou Vincent, James Franklin, Kyle Mills and Brendon McCullum, have taken their first steps on the road to full international honours in the under-19 World Cup." (from cricinfo).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vandemataram said:
Pak seniors can learn alot from their juniors, the attitude, the intensity with which the juniors played is no where to be seen in the senior team.
It certainly was in the England Test series.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
What an amazing match. Full credit to the young Pakistani team. When you're bowled out for just over 100 it takes a great effort to defend it. As I said, WC pressure is an amazing thing, especially on young players so chasing it wasn't going to be easy, but instead of it not being wasy Pakistan made it almost impossible.
What an incredible match !! I was right in that the best 2 Teams did in fact make the final and played an incredible Match !!

I had my bets on India all the way even after the first 6 wickets !!

But what a bowling effort by the Pak bowlers in particular the two opening bowlers, I sure expect to see them in the top team soon !!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Jaimshed Ahmed looks really really good. If he bulks up a bit and gains a bit of pace he's going to be a handful at international level before anyone knows it.

adharcric

International Coach
Tim said:
Jaimshed Ahmed looks really really good. If he bulks up a bit and gains a bit of pace he's going to be a handful at international level before anyone knows it.
Did you get to watch the match? I really want to know how this Pakistani opening pace duo of Anwar Ali and Jamshed Ahmed bowls, they seem promising. Also, the Indian opening batsmen, Gaurav Dhiman who is a Symonds type player, and the player-of-the-tournmanet Cheteshwar Pujara. Who knows, these guys might square off 5 years down the road in an Indian-Pakistan encounter as national players.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
He was bowling pretty quick, 86 mph when compared to the other pacers on show, he was lighting. Especially are boys who never looked like there could bowl at anything quicker than 75 mph. If the kid could every get that movement again even at 60 mph he would be a handful.

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
Does anybody who saw the Pakistani fast bowlers play think they are able to come into the first team and make the same impression Asif has done?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Isn't it about time this thread was un-topped?
I mean, it's justifiable having threads for Ban-SL and Zim-Ken, but if we must, surely we must un-top other threads ASAP too?

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
This world cup final brings to mind the '92 WC final when Pak beat England and we witnesed ball swinging amazingly when Pak were bowling.

In this match the Pak bowler, Anwar in particular, was getting unbelieveable swing, when the pitch and conditions had nothing much for the bowler.How they were getting such swing remains a big mystery!

Xuhaib

International Coach
IndianByHeart said:
This world cup final brings to mind the '92 WC final when Pak beat England and we witnesed ball swinging amazingly when Pak were bowling.

In this match the Pak bowler, Anwar in particular, was getting unbelieveable swing, when the pitch and conditions had nothing much for the bowler.How they were getting such swing remains a big mystery!
Are you pointing towards ball tempering?