• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Under 19 World Cup Thread***

brockley

International Captain
Rahim and Eoin Morgan 2 defintely to look out for at the world cup,wouldn't surprise me if he is the top run scorer of the tournament,played for ireland and middlesex.Cremer looks very good altho chibhabba and williams have done very little in domestic and international cricket,doesn't take much to make it in the zimbabwe side,it will be easier much sooner too.
Calculated from the draw that if we top our group(australia),group B and keep on winning we won't have to play india to get to the final,good stuff eh.
Looking at the aussie team probably will look something like this;
Khawajah
Cooper
Finch
Stray
Henriques
Wade
Warner
Mcnamara
Holland
Bird
Ritchard
sub Sheridan
Those missing out Keen and Cutting.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
With all due respect to Bangladesh, there is still a long way to go. You just need to look at a number of U19 sides over the years to see that very few actually go on to represent their country.

The better ones usually mature and work their way into first class cricket. E.g. Peter Fulton from NZ who didn't play any U19 rep cricket at any level.

danish

U19 12th Man
andyc said:
There's an article on Cricinfo today about the Bangladesh U19 squad that talks them up as favourites, or at least in with a very good chance.
The Bangladeshi U-19 side have always been high performers of late. One reason for this is because U-19 Cricket is almost as widely followed in Bangladesh as senior Cricket, something which does not occur in the rest of the world. Because of this, the U-19 team is much more widely recognised and probably more popular than the senior side. Having recorded victories this year against Pakistan, as well as Australia, Sri Lanka, England, South Africa and Zimbabwe, Bangladesh are certainly one of the better bets to win the U-19 World Cup.
What strikes me as puzzling is the abysmal quality of their senior side despite the fact that they have so much potential in their U-19 side.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tim said:
With all due respect to Bangladesh, there is still a long way to go. You just need to look at a number of U19 sides over the years to see that very few actually go on to represent their country.

The better ones usually mature and work their way into first class cricket. E.g. Peter Fulton from NZ who didn't play any U19 rep cricket at any level.
Not really relevant to the Bangladeshi study. How many other U19 sides are filled with players who are topping the runs and wickets list in the domestic comps?

brockley

International Captain
You must fly out any day now jack good luck for the world cup hope you guys win,btw just hope you had your shots,wouldn't like to see you bring back the asian flu with ya :laugh: .
BTW windies lost their first game to pakistan u 19,bangladesh u 19 beat the UAE full side twice,some of the sides already there.
Go moises you champ :cool: .

Scweej

Cricket Spectator
There's been a lot of talk bout the Bangledeshi U19s , and i'd like to see them do well . .. It does seem that the Bangledesh plays a much greater importance to their youth sides, possibly cos of their inability to compete at Test level. They need to unearth some penetrative pace bowlers, and some batsmen of substance . . . There's no shortage of left arm spinners though . . .

brockley

International Captain
Good to see most australia's under 19 squad representing their state second squads with great success,considering their were no warm ups for the w cup organised here in australia,their particiaption in the 2nd xl competition is the next best thing.Particularly moises henrques played 2nd xl all season,played the st gregory game,played in the 20/20 game and got a domestic one dayer,good and useful experience for the w cup.
My ranking going into the w cup is:
1india 2 bangladesh 3 srilanka 4 pakistan and australia together 6 west indies 7 s africa 8 england 9 new zealand 10 ireland 11 zimbabwe 12 scotland 13 namibia 14 uganda 15 nepal and 16 usa.

SouthernMan

Cricket Spectator
From what I have heard New Zealand had a warm up against the Cantebury U19(with Todd Astle and Hamish Bennett in the team), they won with ease with a couple of the batsmen getting some good time in the middle.

Rosh

School Boy/Girl Captain
brockley said:
Good to see most australia's under 19 squad representing their state second squads with great success,considering their were no warm ups for the w cup organised here in australia,their particiaption in the 2nd xl competition is the next best thing.Particularly moises henrques played 2nd xl all season,played the st gregory game,played in the 20/20 game and got a domestic one dayer,good and useful experience for the w cup.
My ranking going into the w cup is:
1india 2 bangladesh 3 srilanka 4 pakistan and australia together 6 west indies 7 s africa 8 england 9 new zealand 10 ireland 11 zimbabwe 12 scotland 13 namibia 14 uganda 15 nepal and 16 usa.
With such a talented side and an advantage of playing in the sub continent I would rank Nepal at # 10 ahead of Ireland and the rest.

brockley

International Captain
From what I have heard New Zealand had a warm up against the Cantebury U19(with Todd Astle and Hamish Bennett in the team), they won with ease with a couple of the batsmen getting some good time in the middle.
Um thats against canterbury under 19 enough said,nz has had no decent prep that i know of,todd astle is the only 1 i have heard of.
Maybe nepal is higher but ireland who is in the same group as zimbabwe has a star and that is eoin morgan plus a few youngsters who are with counties,i expect morgan to decimate attacks,its only cause he is at middlesex and the batting is strong he is not getting a game.He has a 100 for middlsex,dominates 2nd xl cricet in england,was one of the stars at the intercontinental final which ireland one and the associate trophys side he scored a 90 odd where ireland made the final.

TIF

U19 Debutant
As for the sides in this u-19 World cup, India and Bangladesh look to be the favourites for the tournament. The Pool A is tough with Pakistan, Bangladesh and New Zealand and Pool B got tough due to Australias own fault in the last u-19 world cup when they gave a highly disappointing performance and were relegated to the likes of Nepal and Scotland and lost to Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

Pool C looks well balanced with India(the title favourites) and Sri Lanka(the hosts). Pool D still isnt that easy as it looks. Nepal(remember?), they have beaten Pakistan, South Africa and Bangladesh previously in the last 2 u-19 world cups and missed out on promotion to the next stage twice only due to a poor run rate. They beat the other big team, but lost to England and England lost to the other big team making Nepal lose out due to a poor run-rate. Nepal, will be hoping to make it 3rd time lucky and their fans are very optimistic as I checked out few days ago and believe that they will beat England, who have struggled in the sub-continental conditions recently losing all 11 matches played against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Their coach, also thinks the same way - http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/u19-worldcup/content/story/233842.html. Zimbabwe, have been badly hurt by their internal crisis, otherwise they have always been good at the u-19 level in the previous world cups and Ireland, the 4th team, they had a good performance in the last u-19 world cup having competitive matches against Australia and West Indies and came close to win the matches before finally losing by 6 runs to West Indies and scored a massive 293 against Australia before losing by 40 runs as they couldnt keep enough wickets in hand in a near-unbelieveable chase.

There is also a good chance that 4 sub-continental teams might fight it out in the semi-finals provided we have 5 sub-contient teams. India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh look like getting there and Nepal need only 1 massive upset in the quarter-finals to get there.

brockley

International Captain
West indies under 19 defeats pakistan in 2nd game by 7 runs,may be a good challenge for australia in their group.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't under-estimate the NZ side. There are some good players in there. But NZ youth players seem to develop a bit later than other countries, so nobody really seems to give them much of a chance at this level.

TIF

U19 Debutant
Likely results from the u-19 world cup -

It looks like these teams will reach the quarter-finals after finishing on the top 2 positions in their group -
Pool A - Bangladesh, Pakistan
Pool B - Australia, South Africa
Pool C - India, Sri Lanka
Pool D - England, Nepal

Teams from pool A and pool D will compete against each other in the quarters(A1 v D2 and D1 v A2) and so will the teams from pool B and pool C (B1 v C2 and C1 v B2).

brockley

International Captain
Agree with 2 of those groups tif india srilanka yes,pakistan bangladesh yes,
but for me australia and west indies, s africa played bad in the africa asia trophy only beat zimbabwe.The last group is hard england lost 11 games in bangladesh and won none:laugh: zimbabwe lost all their games in the africa asia trophy by a mile :laugh: ,ireland have eoin morgan and a few rising county players and then there is nepal unknown quantity.If anyone can pick this group be my guest,altho england did flog malaysia yesterday some form i guess.

brockley

International Captain
Pakistan has beaten the west indies 3/1.
Glad we are in the group we are,if not we could have been embarressed if we were in the other 2 groups with 2 asian teams.
I feel more confident of qualifying for the next round playing s africa and the windies not that i write them off,altho gotta say england has a dream group.
Fact is bangladesh beaten us twice and india beat us 4/1 not a brilliant run to the w cup is it.
No western side is setting the world on fire at the moment only the 4 asian teams have had positive warm ups before the w cup.It wouldn't surprise me if the asian 4 comprise the semi final group of 4,we will certianly have to lift if we want to get anywhere in this cup.

Last edited: