• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand

Blaze

Banned
We should win comfortably if we are able to keep our players fit. Lara could produce something special though. I hope he does anyway.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree. And hopefully Gayle and Bravo perform well too, they're great to watch.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lara and Bravo (and to an extent Ramdin) the players to watch from the WI. Lara for obvious reasons, and Bravo and Ramdin to see if they continue to improve from their promising tour of Australia.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If we didn't win the ODI series at least, I would be disappointed. I still think we've got work to do in tests though and the Windies will give us a decent test there I think.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jono said:
Lara and Bravo (and to an extent Ramdin) the players to watch from the WI. Lara for obvious reasons, and Bravo and Ramdin to see if they continue to improve from their promising tour of Australia.
Agreed. I'll be keeping an eye on the games for those three and Bond (unless he's injured).

Mr Mxyzptlk

The Tests will go to 5 days. The West Indies to win at least 1 ODI.

My expected touring party:

S Chanderpaul (C)
RR Sarwan (vc)
D Ramdin (wk)
BC Lara
CH Gayle
DS Smith - fingers crossed
DJJ Bravo
MN Samuels
DR Smith
WW Hinds - hopefully to play a middle order role
FH Edwards
TL Best
IDR Bradshaw
DB Powell
D Mohammed - I think he's in with a good shot; we need to carry a spinner surely...
...and I'll go out on a limb here... JE Taylor

I half expect Lawson will be picked ahead of Taylor, but Taylor is bowling better atm, so the other half thinks they may toss him in. Granted, neither of them is bowling particularly well.

I'd like to see Richard Kelly there for the One Day Internationals. He's a very smart bowler, albeit not with a lot of pace. His batting is in the mold of Lance Klusener, if not quite as effective yet.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You reckon Devon Smith can be a long-term opener for West Indies Mr Mxyztplk? I only saw him in Australia so I'm far from an expert on his ability, but he did look very gutsy and a handy grafter. Considering a shot maker like Gayle is on the other end, I think that's whats needed. He just looked suspect against raw pace as he was shaky when Lee was bowling, but he can always improve and is young.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Jono said:
You reckon Devon Smith can be a long-term opener for West Indies Mr Mxyztplk? I only saw him in Australia so I'm far from an expert on his ability, but he did look very gutsy and a handy grafter. Considering a shot maker like Gayle is on the other end, I think that's whats needed. He just looked suspect against raw pace as he was shaky when Lee was bowling, but he can always improve and is young.
Got a few good balls in Australia. Also played a couple of loose shots.
He's got good technique and is actually an aggressive batsman in domestic cricket, though he doesn't show it at international level. I think that's what ties him up at times, when he tries to curb his natural instincts and play a foil for Gayle.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The Tests will go to 5 days. The West Indies to win at least 1 ODI.

My expected touring party:

S Chanderpaul (C)
RR Sarwan (vc)
D Ramdin (wk)
BC Lara
CH Gayle
DS Smith - fingers crossed
DJJ Bravo
MN Samuels
DR Smith
WW Hinds - hopefully to play a middle order role
FH Edwards
TL Best
IDR Bradshaw
DB Powell
D Mohammed - I think he's in with a good shot; we need to carry a spinner surely...
...and I'll go out on a limb here... JE Taylor

I half expect Lawson will be picked ahead of Taylor, but Taylor is bowling better atm, so the other half thinks they may toss him in. Granted, neither of them is bowling particularly well.

I'd like to see Richard Kelly there for the One Day Internationals. He's a very smart bowler, albeit not with a lot of pace. His batting is in the mold of Lance Klusener, if not quite as effective yet.
from what i saw of Mohammed in england wasn't that great what about Banks? Also Bradshaw dont think he would get much ppl out in test they are better of picking Lawson or Taylor ahead of him IMO.

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie said:
from what i saw of Mohammed in england wasn't that great what about Banks? Also Bradshaw dont think he would get much ppl out in test they are better of picking Lawson or Taylor ahead of him IMO.
Mohammed played 1 Test in England. It's pretty harsh to judge him on that, especially considering that he looked worse than he actually was because of Giles' success. The fact is that Mohammed didn't have the same rough to work with as Giles, because Giles turns the ball the other way and faced several lefthanders.

That said, I maintain that Dave Mohammed is not Test quality yet. He needs to flight the ball more before he reaches that stage.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Papps is out for 6 weeks with a dislocated finger so that pretty much rules him out of the running for the tour.

Ming

State 12th Man
Who opens for NZ in both Test and ODI will be interesting. Do they try Fleming opening in both forms? Or bring in the inform Papps and How?

_Ed_

Tim said:
Papps is out for 6 weeks with a dislocated finger so that pretty much rules him out of the running for the tour.
Unlucky. He was making loads of runs for Canterbury and would probably have got the call-up.

Blaze

Banned
Tim said:

Crap!

We have 2 opening positions up for grabs and Papps would have been a good option to fill one of the vacancies. The question now is- Who are our openers going to be against the west indies?

I hope they don't use Fleming. He is a short term solution, we need to start planing for the future!