• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Apparently Dwayne Smith is a better bet at the moment. I'm guessing it's because he bowls seam rather than spin. Both of them have been scoring quickly then throwing away their wicket in the Carib Cup, but Samuels actually looks a class batsman until he does it. Dwayne Smith generally gives catching and umpiring practice before he gets out.

I can't see how it's helping him if they keep rewarding his ridiculous batting strategy by picking him constantly. It just sends the message that he's not doing anything wrong.
I really cant see the logic in picking Dwayne Smith and leaving out both Wavell Hinds and Marlon Samuels. Samuels failed against Australia, sure, but lots of batsmen have and I dont think he should really be crucified for it, especially since it was his first tour back in the side, and he scored a magnificent double hundred against Queensland. Revolving door if ever I've seen one. Really just seems ludicrous - but not nearly as ludicrous as picking Rawl Lewis.

I guess this means Ganga is going to be batting #6, unless they play five bowlers.

Last edited:

Natman20

International Debutant
Tim said:
How
Vincent
Fleming
Marshall
Styris
Cairns
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Bond

Supersub: Fulton
I would be tempted to put Styris as Super-sub. Its all about winning and losing the toss and if we need him he can bowl and bat ladeda

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Prince EWS said:
I really cant see the logic in picking Dwayne Smith and leaving out both Wavell Hinds and Marlon Samuels. Samuels failed against Australia, sure, but lots of batsmen have and I dont think he should really be crucified for it, especially since it was his first tour back in the side, and he scored a magnificent double hundred against Queensland. Revolving door if ever I've seen one. Really just seems ludicrous - but not nearly as ludicrous as picking Rawl Lewis.

I guess this means Ganga is going to be batting #6, unless they play five bowlers.
I'm actually more confident in Ganga in the middle order than I am with regard to Hinds at the moment and Smith ever. I promised myself I'd never be this vulnerable again, but I think he could do well. :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I'm actually more confident in Ganga in the middle order than I am with regard to Hinds at the moment and Smith ever. I promised myself I'd never be this vulnerable again, but I think he could do well. :ph34r:
I agree, but if he fails, then you only have Smith to fall back on...

Samuels or Hinds should have been there.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Read the article!. I probably should have worded it better but its McLean commenting about the team, not about him being selected.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say that Jamie How has almost certainly played his way past Astle into the NZ ODI team for the up-coming series.

Astle has had a decent score here or there but he still appears to be struggling. His dismissal yesterday was almost difficult to watch, it was just such a poor shot.

How has been brilliant in the field for C.D, he's leading by example as Captain and he's now scored 88, 53 & 95..so he's definately a man in form and I think they've gotta pick him again.

Blaze

Banned
I disagree. Astle for me. He showed that he is coming back into form with a 90 and 40 against Sri Lanka whereas How showed that he needs to think about his game plan a bit more before he gets another crack.

In saying that, it is a really tough call. I like the look of How and he played well yesterday.

I would probably give them both games against the West Indies.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im a big fan of Astle. I don't want to see him discarded yet, but that shot yesterday pretty much summed up his form right now. How looks to be the better option right now.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Fulton not in the BCs!

Tim, how could you possily leave Fulton out of the team - behind the inconsistent Hamish Marshall?

I agree that Astle should retain his spot but it's difficult to discard How.

Instead I'd also have Styris as the super-sub. We can only really justify one of Oram and Styris in the team.

Blaze

Banned
Will Scarlet said:
Instead I'd also have Styris as the super-sub. We can only really justify one of Oram and Styris in the team.
In that case Styris over Oram every time.

Natman20

International Debutant
Blaze said:
In that case Styris over Oram every time.
Totally agree although I would have both of them in the squad at the moment and possibly think of getting rid of cairns for harris if his bowling goes for a lot of runs. I guess its not that great of an idea :huh:

Ming

State 12th Man
Oh come on. Mills has not been garbage for years. Look at his record, he's been a good ODI bowler for NZ right through. He maintained a RPO of around 4.3 for the start of his career and even though now it's risen to 4.6, he's still got a handy average of 30.

Ming

State 12th Man
Tim said:
Im a big fan of Astle. I don't want to see him discarded yet, but that shot yesterday pretty much summed up his form right now. How looks to be the better option right now.
Eh, I guess you missed all the other shots in his innings then....