• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's true Blaze, but we have a number of batsmen (Astle, Vincent, Fulton, Marshall) vying for not many positions in the middle order, putting Fleming in to open with How might be a good thing in that it opens up another spot in the middle.

Papps & How should be our long-term test opening pair though I believe.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The Tests will go to 5 days. The West Indies to win at least 1 ODI.

My expected touring party:

S Chanderpaul (C)
RR Sarwan (vc)
D Ramdin (wk)
BC Lara
CH Gayle
DS Smith - fingers crossed
DJJ Bravo
MN Samuels
DR Smith
WW Hinds - hopefully to play a middle order role
FH Edwards
TL Best
IDR Bradshaw
DB Powell
D Mohammed - I think he's in with a good shot; we need to carry a spinner surely...
...and I'll go out on a limb here... JE Taylor

I half expect Lawson will be picked ahead of Taylor, but Taylor is bowling better atm, so the other half thinks they may toss him in. Granted, neither of them is bowling particularly well.

I'd like to see Richard Kelly there for the One Day Internationals. He's a very smart bowler, albeit not with a lot of pace. His batting is in the mold of Lance Klusener, if not quite as effective yet.
No reserve keeper? Also, Taylor's bowled well in this current match. Not that he's international standard yet. Otherwise, I agree with the squad.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
My NZ ODI Squad:

Fleming
Vettori
Bond
Oram
Styris
Cairns
McCullum
Fulton
Mills
H.Marshall
Vincent
Patel / Adams
How

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

S Chanderpaul (C)
RR Sarwan (vc)
D Ramdin (wk)
BC Lara
CH Gayle
DJJ Bravo
MN Samuels
DR Smith
FH Edwards
TL Best
IDR Bradshaw
DB Powell
D Mohammed - I think he's in with a good shot; we need to carry a spinner surely...

I half expect Lawson will be picked ahead of Taylor, but Taylor is bowling better atm, so the other half thinks they may toss him in. Granted, neither of them is bowling particularly well.

I'd like to see Richard Kelly there for the One Day Internationals. He's a very smart bowler, albeit not with a lot of pace. His batting is in the mold of Lance Klusener, if not quite as effective yet.
No Collymore?!?!?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tim said:
My NZ ODI Squad:

Fleming
Vettori
Bond
Oram
Styris
Cairns
McCullum
Fulton
Mills
H.Marshall
Vincent
Patel / Adams
How
I'd play Astle in front of How. I'd also go for Adams for that spare bowler spot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Collymore is injured. Even if he were to get fit in time, he wouldn't have any match practice.
That's fair enough. As was evident with Lawson's performance in the first test against Australia, there's no point taking a fast bowler along unless they are match fit...

Natman20

International Debutant
Tim said:
My NZ ODI Squad:

Fleming
Vettori
Bond
Oram
Styris
Cairns
McCullum
Fulton
Mills
H.Marshall
Vincent
Patel / Adams
How
Thats a good batting line-up
:D

I would choose Patel over adams but keep adams as a backup player in the squad. He could be a good super-sub.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
He's not a certainty, but i'd say he has a higher chance than the other incumbent James Marshall.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The 1st match is the Twenty20 match on the 16th of Feb, so no doubt the selectors will be leaving the squad for awhile yet so that fringe players and players desperate to stay in the side can show some form in State Shield & State Championship.

Natman20

International Debutant
Cumming will have to do something special because he doesnt really have form to go on. I think Sinclair should be in the squad although he hasn't shown great form either.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pratyush said:
I think Windies can win one test on this tour. Hopefully they will.
I can't see them winning a test tbh. The biggest problem for the Windies batting in NZ conditions over the years has been having their patience and technique.Their batsmen are more suited to Australian like conditions I reckon.

Lara may play one or two big innings, but I don't think it will be enough.

Their bowlers could be a handful if they hit the right lengths on our wickets, but I think NZ bowlers will utilise the conditions better

Last edited:

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

S Chanderpaul (C)
RR Sarwan (vc)
D Ramdin (wk)
BC Lara
CH Gayle
DJJ Bravo
MN Samuels
DR Smith
FH Edwards
TL Best
IDR Bradshaw
DB Powell

I think you'd probably be right to back Samuels for another tour, if only by default because the other middle order contenders (Morton, Deonarine etc.) aren't screaming for a place based on their domestic form (EDIT: Deonarine's actually started pretty well, though he'll need to kick on to force his way in).

Will soon get to the stage though where we have another Daren Ganga situation, whereby a player is retained in the side/squad based purely on a perception that he'll score runs rather than him actually scoring any, though in Marlon's case the perception relates to natural talent rather than technique. Hinds would bat at 6 for me anyway.

I think Daren Powell's potential is overstated, though he has to picked in the absence of Collymore and Collins. Banks may sneak in ahead of Mohammed.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Sinclair should be in the squad although he hasn't shown great form either.
I think Mathew Sinclair should be batting #4 for New Zealand in test matches to be honest. He has been ruthlessly stuffed around by the selectors throughout his whole career - everything from being forced to open for no apparent reason to being dropped from the squad after scoring 70 on his recall to being dropped from the test side based on poor ODI performances (he should never have been picked for ODIs anyway, really).