• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 5 bowling attacks - All Time

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
No team can win a Test without taking 20 wickets (except Australia in Sydney :p). Which combinations were the best at this difficult task?

For mine:
1. Wasim, Waqar, Imran, Mushtaq Ahmed (1992)
2. Marshall, Garner, Holding, Croft (1983)
3. McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Warne (2001)
4. Lillee, Thomson, Walker, Gilmour, Mallett (1974-75)
5. Lindwall, Miller, Johnston, Johnson, McCool (1948)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
England 32/33 has got to up there:

Larwood, Voce, Allen, Verity with Wally Hammond's medium pacers as back up.

a massive zebra

International Captain
England had an embarrassment of riches in the bowling department during the 1950s. They could choose between Trueman, Tyson, Statham, Laker, Lock and Wardle. In terms of pure depth, this has to be up with the great West Indian pace battery.

C_C

International Captain
1. Marshall-Holding-Garner-Croft
2. Marshall-Ambrose-Garner-Walsh
3. Wasim-Waqar-Imran-Qadir
4. McGrath-Warne-Gillespie-Fleming/McGill
5. Trueman-Statham-Laker-Tyson

Dissector

International Debutant
I am surprised no has mentioned Wasim-Waqar-Mushtaq-Saqlain of around 1996. You can't get a more perfectly varied combination than that: left-arm quick, right-arm quick, leg-spin and off-spin. And at their best all four were great or near-great bowlers.

tooextracool

International Coach
Dissector said:
I am surprised no has mentioned Wasim-Waqar-Mushtaq-Saqlain of around 1996. You can't get a more perfectly varied combination than that: left-arm quick, right-arm quick, leg-spin and off-spin. And at their best all four were great or near-great bowlers.
waqar and mushtaq were pretty much finished by then unfortunately.

Dissector

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
waqar and mushtaq were pretty much finished by then unfortunately.
Not really. I did a quick check on Statsguru for their performances in 1996-7 and both averaged around 26-27 over that period. In fact Mushtaq was performing better than his career average and may have been at his peak at this time. Waqar was below his peak and didn't play that many tests but was still a useful bowler.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
royGilchrist said:
roberts, holding, garner, croft, by far the best in the last 40 years.

warne, mcgrath are pretty good too.
welcome back royGilchrist - long time no chat.

As you can probably tell, we could do with some of your common sense round here at the moment.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
royGilchrist said:
roberts, holding, garner, croft, by far the best in the last 40 years.

warne, mcgrath are pretty good too.
Bah! that's like a school team attack compared to the sheer untouchable quality of Pringle, Lewis, DeFreitas, Botham, Illingworth and Reeve. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Dixie Flatline

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Don't know whether you could name an Australian quartet from the late 90s early 00s, as it usually was Warne from one end and McGrath from the other bowling out the opponent without letting the other bowlers get much of a go.

I'd go with Roberts, Croft, Holding, Garner.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Roberts, Croft, Holding, Garner
Marshall, Garner, Ambrose, Walsh
Lindwall, Millers, Johnston, Johnson, Toshak
Trueman, Statham, Laker, Tyson
Wasim, Waqar, Imran, Qadir

Current aussie just miss out cus of the i think the fourth/fifth bowlers of the other teams are slightly better.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
nice to see ya eddie...great work with the articles and website.

Wasim, Waqar and Mushtaq is more likely, since Qadir, Waqar and Imran only played for a few matches when Qadir and even Imran was past their prime.

Donald and Pollock was pretty useful too.

Lillee, Thomson, Alderman, Hogg were pretty good too. I think this was the lineup in the early eighties.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Other good attacks (in no particular order):

Hall, Griffith, Sobers, Ramadhin (1958)
Bedi, Chandrasekhar, Prasanna, some no name pacer to take the shine off the ball (1980)
Smith, Adcock, Fuller, Goddard, Tayfield (1955)
McKenzie, Davidson, Meckiff, Benaud, Kline (1961)

Last edited: