• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

International Domestic 20/20 competion.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
This type of cricket seems to be a hit with the masses so what do people think of this idea.

The top 2 domestic teams from the top 7 test nations + 1 team from Bangladesh and Zimbabwe + 4 teams from the ICC minor countries like Kenya play off in 4 pools of five with semifinals and a final. The carnival wouldn't take more than two weeks and could be brought to non-traditional cricket playing countries like perhaps the Hong Kong, China and the USA to stimulate interest. The home team might get an invitational all stars team.(Much like rubgy 7's). The teams to play in it would be determined by a domestic 20/20 competiton like the one we just had in Australia. I'm sure payTV would jump at the chance.

Players involved in international tours would be unavailable.

I'm sure other people can help me fill in the current teams from other countries.

Australia - NSW & Vic
England - Leicestershire and Somerset (thanks Jamee999)
India
Pakistan
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
West Indies
Bangladesh
Zimbabwe
Kenya
Canada
?
Home invitational all stars

Any merit to the idea?

Last edited:

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Bloody brilliant mate, I've been flirting with making a cricket 2004 story with a World Domestic 20Twenty Championship for a few months. And now someone takes my idea from thin air :D
Mind you, great minds think alike, so on with the show.
What I was going to do is grab the teams of CricInfo... I'd love to help because I love the idea but I'm going up to Queensland to play cricket for a week from tomorrow.
Good luck with it man!

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it's a little pointless actually. I would not be interested in it much except to follow NSW, not the actual cricket side of it.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
The biggest problem would be finding space for it in an already bloated calendar.
But the international players wouldn't have to be involved. It would give some of the second tier players a chance to shine.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
mavric41 said:
But the international players wouldn't have to be involved. It would give some of the second tier players a chance to shine.
But people won't turn up to watch teams of foreign nobodies to take on each other

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
mavric41 said:
And who would be watching? Would television companies be interested in taking up such a tournament?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was already an international Twenty20 competition towards the end of the English domestic season, I think it involved Leicester, Somerset, PCA Masters, a SL team, a Pakistan team and a SA team. The Pakistan team won I believe, but the weather was atrocious throughout and the attendances were poor I think.

Langeveldt

Soutie
It's a dangerous concept, which if the ICC continue there moneygrabbing way will soon eat into the test match calenders, which even the most progressive cricket fans agree, should be kept sacred..