• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boycott joins Ten Sports

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
In an advertisement in ten sports he says "all the best cricket is at Ten Sports and all the rest is rooobish."

I thought he would respect ESPN-Star where he was for the last 10 years. :mellow: :ph34r:

Sudeep

International Captain
Pratyush said:
In an advertisement in ten sports he says "all the best cricket is at Ten Sports and all the rest is rooobish."

I thought he would respect ESPN-Star where he was for the last 10 years. :mellow: :ph34r:

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
It'll be great fun hearing Boycott on pikey old TenSports, he'll probably start criticising the coverage. Will he be commentating on the Ind Pak series?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:

I'm sure he believes that while he's on any channel it is the best and all the rest he's not on are 'rooobish'

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Armadillo said:
It'll be great fun hearing Boycott on pikey old TenSports, he'll probably start criticising the coverage. Will he be commentating on the Ind Pak series?
He already is, I believe.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Boycott is a joke really.

Whenever I hear him I think of Shane Warne/Brian Lara Cricket 99 :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jono said:

Whenever I hear him I think of Shane Warne/Brian Lara Cricket 99 :D
Now I disagree there, he's obviously a caricature of the embittered ageing Yorkshireman (see also Trueman, Illingworth, Close, that Monty Python sketch :D ) but Boycs is intelligent & (beneath that paint-stripping accent) fairly articulate too. He isn't afraid to express his opinion 'cos he seems supremely unconcerned about who he pees off. Loads of commentators are reluctant to criticise their "mates", Botham being one of the worst offenders. Is it really coincidence that he's such a passionate advocate of KP, who belongs to the same sports management firm? Back in the day he was a big advocate of Hicky, who was his old Worcestershire mucker. I'd rather have someone like Boycs who actually seems to care about the game, calls each play as he sees it & analyses rather than merely describes what's going on.

He's also a fair-minded bloke too, I remember when absolutely everyone is our media was in a lather about the Wasim/Waqar ball tampering furore. Boycott was pretty much the lone Anglo voice in their defence. I think he said something like "they could've bowled England out with an orange".

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BoyBrumby said:
Now I disagree there, he's obviously a caricature of the embittered ageing Yorkshireman (see also Trueman, Illingworth, Close, that Monty Python sketch :D ) but Boycs is intelligent & (beneath that paint-stripping accent) fairly articulate too. He isn't afraid to express his opinion 'cos he seems supremely unconcerned about who he pees off. Loads of commentators are reluctant to criticise their "mates", Botham being one of the worst offenders. Is it really coincidence that he's such a passionate advocate of KP, who belongs to the same sports management firm? Back in the day he was a big advocate of Hicky, who was his old Worcestershire mucker. I'd rather have someone like Boycs who actually seems to care about the game, calls each play as he sees it & analyses rather than merely describes what's going on.
He lost all credibility when he claimed England were the best team in the world and world champions in.... wait for it... one day international cricket. His wild criticism of Dhoni not scoring runs against good opposition in ODIs, apparently England the world champions fall under that, was really stupid. And justifying he's a good commentator by comparing him to Botham doesn't sway me either. Anyone is a better commentator than Botham. And being critical doesn't necessarily always equal great commentary.

Imran and Nasser on this show called "Straight drive" with Sanjay have produced much more insightful comments than Boycs can ever dream of. They also have less of an ego as well, that always helps.
BoyBrumby said:
He's also a fair-minded bloke too, I remember when absolutely everyone is our media was in a lather about the Wasim/Waqar ball tampering furore. Boycott was pretty much the lone Anglo voice in their defence. I think he said something like "they could've bowled England out with an orange".
Good on him, doesn't make him a great commentator though. Just means he's fairly unbiased and knows good bowling when he sees it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jono said:
He lost all credibility when he claimed England were the best team in the world and world champions in.... wait for it... one day international cricket. His wild criticism of Dhoni not scoring runs against good opposition in ODIs, apparently England the world champions fall under that, was really stupid. And justifying he's a good commentator by comparing him to Botham doesn't sway me either. Anyone is a better commentator than Botham. And being critical doesn't necessarily always equal great commentary.

Imran and Nasser on this show called "Straight drive" with Sanjay have produced much more insightful comments than Boycs can ever dream of. They also have less of an ego as well, that always helps.

Good on him, doesn't make him a great commentator though. Just means he's fairly unbiased and knows good bowling when he sees it.
Well that particular nugget had slipped under my radar, but it seems pretty harsh to write off a commentator as a joke because of one misplaced opinion. I doubt too many serious commentators would've given us a chance to beat Oz last year in The Ashes & I don't see them being similarly dismissed.

I'm not Boycott's biggest fan, nor do I think he's a "great" commentator, but I do think he's a very good one. I just compared him to Botham because he was the first name I thought of; I could've said Bumble Lloyd, Bill Lawry, Ian Healy or anyone else who constantly acts as a cheerleader for their home team.

WRT Dhoni, Boycott is arguably one of the best batting coaches out there. If he's spotted a weakness in his technique I think it's fair enough to comment on it.

Boycs obviously polarises opinion, but love him or hate him I don't think he's a joke.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Boycs obviously polarises opinion, but love him or hate him I don't think he's a joke.
I agree - we must never change Boyks. After all, as we all know (puts on best 'Yorkshire News' accent) - Change is not good!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have heard a lot of Boycott in the past 10 years. I wouldnt say he is a joke. I would say he is a pretty good commentator.

Some times he may feel a bit arrogant in the sense he doesnt give credit too easily to players. But thats better than saying player X is great or player Y is great hyping him up and see him fall on the ground latter on like we see so much in India.

He didnt approve of Sehwag earlier. However when Sehwag convinced with performances every where he was humble enough to accept his flaw.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BoyBrumby said:
Well that particular nugget had slipped under my radar, but it seems pretty harsh to write off a commentator as a joke because of one misplaced opinion. I doubt too many serious commentators would've given us a chance to beat Oz last year in The Ashes & I don't see them being similarly dismissed.

I'm not Boycott's biggest fan, nor do I think he's a "great" commentator, but I do think he's a very good one. I just compared him to Botham because he was the first name I thought of; I could've said Bumble Lloyd, Bill Lawry, Ian Healy or anyone else who constantly acts as a cheerleader for their home team.

WRT Dhoni, Boycott is arguably one of the best batting coaches out there. If he's spotted a weakness in his technique I think it's fair enough to comment on it.

http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?t=15727

But the thing with Boycott is that some (although they're becoming less and less :)) hold him in a ridiculous high regard as a commentator. I can't remember who, but it was claimed that along with Richie he was the best commentator in cricket. He's so far from that its not even funny.

There are plenty of better commentators and expert opinions around than him. Holding for one is someone I hold in very high regard. He knows the game, and shock horror, he's able to criticise players and teams without acting like an idiot and sounding like he was the greatest of all time (despite him being one of the best bowlers ever). Slats too is another top commentator. And if we need to have a gun put to our head and have to choose a grumpy commentator, I'd go Ian Chappell over Boycott anyway.

And I think criticising Bumble is far too harsh. A commentary team should have various personalities and minds. We don't need 6 or 7 Boycott's running around, so every minute of the game we hear some criticism of one thing or another. The game is there to be enjoyed as well. Bumble lightened up the Pak/Eng series when things were fairly dull, whether it be bad light or just slow play. He is just a good guy, and he seemed to adjust to the different culture of Pakistan, actually scratch that, he didn't adjust to the differet culture he embraced it very well. His little cracks, comments and jokes about the different cultures in Pakistan in regards to the donkeys and food and all were just great. I don't need an irriated old man yelping about something or another because it wasnt how he did it back in his day when I'm trying to enjoy a thrilling series. And on top of that I feel Bumble has a lot more to offer as a commentator than just a cheerleader for England. I feel he's incredibly unbiased.

Half of my distaste in Boycott has to do with his crappy random rants and some people's ridiculous high rating of him like he's one of the few intelligent cricket minds left and we must cherish him and put up with his rants because somewhere deep down in them will be some insightful comment. I pretty much echo what S_L said in that thread I linked you too.
Slow Love™ said:
While he's entertaining (so is Bill Lawry, in his own special way), I don't really understand why Boycs is held in such regard as a commentator. Well, by people other than Englishmen, anyway.
The only difference is you Brumby are English :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jono said:
http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?t=15727

But the thing with Boycott is that some (although they're becoming less and less :)) hold him in a ridiculous high regard as a commentator. I can't remember who, but it was claimed that along with Richie he was the best commentator in cricket. He's so far from that its not even funny.

There are plenty of better commentators and expert opinions around than him. Holding for one is someone I hold in very high regard. He knows the game, and shock horror, he's able to criticise players and teams without acting like an idiot and sounding like he was the greatest of all time (despite him being one of the best bowlers ever). Slats too is another top commentator. And if we need to have a gun put to our head and have to choose a grumpy commentator, I'd go Ian Chappell over Boycott anyway.

And I think criticising Bumble is far too harsh. A commentary team should have various personalities and minds. We don't need 6 or 7 Boycott's running around, so every minute of the game we hear some criticism of one thing or another. The game is there to be enjoyed as well. Bumble lightened up the Pak/Eng series when things were fairly dull, whether it be bad light or just slow play. He is just a good guy, and he seemed to adjust to the different culture of Pakistan, actually scratch that, he didn't adjust to the differet culture he embraced it very well. His little cracks, comments and jokes about the different cultures in Pakistan in regards to the donkeys and food and all were just great. I don't need an irriated old man yelping about something or another because it wasnt how he did it back in his day when I'm trying to enjoy a thrilling series. And on top of that I feel Bumble has a lot more to offer as a commentator than just a cheerleader for England. I feel he's incredibly unbiased.

Half of my distaste in Boycott has to do with his crappy random rants and some people's ridiculous high rating of him like he's one of the few intelligent cricket minds left and we must cherish him and put up with his rants because somewhere deep down in them will be some insightful comment. I pretty much echo what S_L said in that thread I linked you too.

The only difference is you Brumby are English :p
But not a citizen of The Republic of Yorkshire! :D

I'd actually say there's as many anti-Boycott Poms as pro (especially west of The Pennines), like I said he polarises opinion. He's possibly not as good as he once was, but I for one was glad to hear him again during our summer. He's been off our telly for a good many years after his court case.

EDIT: Worringly I actually posted twice in that other thread! My short-term memory must be totally shot! :p

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well, if there's one thing I enjoyed about Boycott's commentary during the Ashes, him vs. Tony Greig made for entertaining television. :p

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd much rather have Boycott who says it as he sees it (and he's nowhere near as critical as some people on this thread make out) than one of the standard commentators like Nicholas who drools himself a river everytime someone puts a crap delivery away for 4.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jono said:

Actually, Jon, that only happened once. He has been calling stuff right down the middle almost all the other time. And I am still swayed to think that he was probably drunk that night during that show on ESPN- Star. May have lead to him being let go by that channel.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
Why?

At least he's not afraid to speak his mind.

IMO he'd have done a great job as a batting coach for England a few years ago, and could still give good advise now.

Another reason to love him was for his on air laughter whenever the Australian's dropped something or made a mistake in the Ashes!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Have Channel 9 still got that waste of airwaves, Mark Nicholas, commentating?

I heard from the other room a loud "UHHH BRETT LEE!!!" and was wondering if it was the cricket, or a top shelf DVD.. Still at least he's moved on from freddie/steve harmison..