• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
or the fact that at the end of the day symonds is picked as an all rounder. merv can say what he wants.

Dixie Flatline

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I watched that interview with Merv, and he was clear that Symonds would be judged on his batting performance. It's ironic then, that Ponting decided to use Symonds as a bowler much more in Melbourne and Sydney than he did in Perth, where Symonds was hardly used as a bowler - perhaps it was because in Melbourne and Sydney, Ponting only had two frontline quicks and Symonds was being asked to fill the third seamer role, whereas in Perth, Bracken was also selected.

I think the selectors will give Symonds until the end of the South African/Bangladesh tour and reassess how he is travelling. It'll help make up their minds if Watson comes back from injury and starts impressing immediately as he would be the selectors' preference over Symonds, IMHO.

Craig

World Traveller
Far as I am concerned Brad Hodge was unfairly treated.

His five Tests were frankly a token gesture. Either that or Australia want to get to 400 Test cricketers pretty soon.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
i think katich was unfairly treated. He's probably a better player than 'one test wonder' Hodge in his sleep anyways.
A year ago I would have agreed with you, but Katich was exposed at test level. Better than Hodge? Maybe, we'll never know if Hodge doesn't play any more tests.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
A year ago I would have agreed with you, but Katich was exposed at test level. Better than Hodge? Maybe, we'll never know if Hodge doesn't play any more tests.
exposed? he had one poor series(and one inning after that), which was hardly due to technical or temperamental deficiencies but because of the fact that he couldnt pick which way Flintoff was getting the ball to swing. If katich was exposed during the Ashes, then so were a lot of other Aussie batsman because there were plenty of them that failed miserably. Forget the fact that before the Ashes, 5 out of his previous 6 series were prolific and vital to the success of the Australian side.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Symonds should never be in the test team, is not good enough for that All Rounder position either Watson or anyone but him.. IMO he is overated in Test matches, but as an ODI player is a damn good of a player...