• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
TC,

Isn't zinc used to galvanise things like nails? I hope I got it...
Yes indeed, I can see there are no flies on you (chokes back joke about it being a stray bit of wool).

The term is named after Galvani who actually had nothing to do with covering iron with zinc but everything to do with giving electric shocks to frogs, that being the kind of guy he was - it was Faraday who first developed the electro-plating process I believe although there are those who will tell you that is precisely what the 'Baghdad Battery' was for.

But I digress.

I could equally have used 'Electrodeposition', but in Symonds' case it wouldn't have had the same ring to it and would have denied me the use of a clean (therefore particularly poor and worthless) double-entendre.

Maison

Cricket Spectator - 1st Warning
symonds...... he is good.......

i like it... when he hits the ball, 'really far away'... good

:huh:

howardj

International Coach
open365 said:
Thats because Symonds rules; he bats,he bowls spin,he bowls pace,he fields,he has unknown origins,his nickname is roy.

What more do you want>?
Test runs.

Maison

howardj said:
Test runs.
good call :@

(excuse the angry face... )

then again, he's gonna have to 'get it right' sooner or later in test cricket, cause he could make a pretty handy test batting-allrounder

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Maison said:
good call :@

(excuse the angry face... )

then again, he's gonna have to 'get it right' sooner or later in test cricket, cause he could make a pretty handy test batting-allrounder
But given enough chances, any decent player will come up with a good performance like Symonds at the MCG. It's just a matter of how many crap performances are you willing to put up with in between?

howardj

International Coach
Merv Hughes (Australian selector) stated that Symonds is being picked and judged as a number six batsman, and his bowling is just a bonus. On that rationale, I don't think anyone can justify his retention for the South African tour. To me, he looks very uncertain on off-stump. That he only averages 37 in the Pura Cup (the FC competition in Australia) is an indictment on his batting in the longer form of the game.

Whilst Michael Clarke's average in that competition is similar, the difference is that Clarke is only 23 and has major scope for improvement (for instance in his last two Pura Cup innings he is turning his average of 37 around, by making two double centuries). By contrast, Symonds is 30 years of age, and has much less scope for improvement, in my view. I think the miserable batting start to his Test career, is not a mere blip, but (as his Pura Cup record attests) a fairly true reflection of his ability with the bat in the longer form of the game.

Last edited:

Maison

howardj said:
Merv Hughes (Australian selector) stated that Symonds is being picked and judged as a number six batsman, and his bowling is just a bonus. On that rationale, I don't think anyone can justify his retention for the South African tour. To me, he looks very uncertain on off-stump. That he only averages 37 in the Pura Cup (the FC competition in Australia) is an indictment on his batting in the longer form of the game.

Whilst Michael Clarke's average in that competition is similar, the difference is that Clarke is only 23 and has major scope for improvement (for instance in his last two Pura Cup innings he is turning his average of 37 around, by making two double centuries). By contrast, Symonds is 30 years of age, and has much less scope for improvement, in my view. I think the miserable batting start to his Test career, is not a mere blip, but (as his Pura Cup record attests) a fairly true reflection of his ability with the bat in the longer form of the game.

ooooh-kay then.

agreed, drop symonds (sadly) for clarke ...

done and done.

okay sure, merv said that they didnt 'judge his' bowling... that quote means nothing in the end really, cause ponting still picks symonds to bowl overs, and quite a few if he has to.............. merv didnt really mean what he said, what he said was probably their (the selectors) 'initial thought'....

you cant just 'shrug' off symonds test bowling efforts...

:/

howardj

International Coach
Maison said:
okay sure, merv said that they didnt 'judge his' bowling... that quote means nothing in the end really, cause ponting still picks symonds to bowl overs, and quite a few if he has to.............. merv didnt really mean what he said, what he said was probably their (the selectors) 'initial thought'....

you cant just 'shrug' off symonds test bowling efforts...

:/
Fair enough. Some good points there. And, yeah, Symonds did bowl well in Melbourne and Sydney. In the end, though, I just don't think Australia can afford to have a number six who, in my view, is out of his depth with the bat. Particularly when that number six is book-ended by a shaky number seven (Gilchrist), and a not-so-great number four (Hodge).

Maison

howardj said:
Fair enough. Some good points there. And, yeah, Symonds did bowl well in Melbourne and Sydney. In the end, though, I just don't think Australia can afford to have a number six who, in my view, is out of his depth with the bat. Particularly when that number six is book-ended by a shaky number seven (Gilchrist), and a not-so-great number four (Hodge).

okay since we both understand what symonds has done, and has not done, and we both value michael clarkes position in the squad.... how do u reckon clarke would do if he was given another chance?

lets say..... in south africa? which is AU's next test series

howardj

International Coach
Maison said:
okay since we both understand what symonds has done, and has not done, and we both value michael clarkes position in the squad.... how do u reckon clarke would do if he was given another chance?

lets say..... in south africa? which is AU's next test series
I think he'd do well. I think he's genuinely improved, as instanced by his very patient Pura Cup double century against Queensland, just after he was axed from the Test team. That Qld attack had an in-form Andy Bichel and Mike Kasprowicz in it. In my view, they would have given him a more thorough examination than the West Indies attack (the attack that put him into the Test cricket wilderness). Plus, he would be extremely hungry for runs. Most of the Australian players (Martyn, Ponting, Hayden, SWaugh, Langer) were dropped when they were young, like Clarke. They all came back super hungry and kicked on to have awesome careers. Clarke will too, I reckon.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah really, I don't think there are too many fans, both Australian and just general cricket fans, who wouldn't want to see Martyn back in the Aussie team. He's just such a fantastic player, and is great to watch. Then again, there may be some SA and in particular English fans who enjoy seeing Symonds in there ahead of him, along with Hodge too who has had one knock of any subtance (though that was a very good knock).

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
Yeah really, I don't think there are too many fans, both Australian and just general cricket fans, who wouldn't want to see Martyn back in the Aussie team. He's just such a fantastic player, and is great to watch. Then again, there may be some SA and in particular English fans who enjoy seeing Symonds in there ahead of him, along with Hodge too who has had one knock of any subtance (though that was a very good knock).
Yes you're right there. If not for that 203*, Hodge would have a fair amount of pressure on him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Merv is being a bit economical with the truth there myself. Symonds must've been selected as a batting all-rounder or his retention makes no sense at all. If he's the 6th best test batsman in Oz then I'm a monkey's uncle!

Maison

BoyBrumby said:
I think Merv is being a bit economical with the truth there myself. Symonds must've been selected as a batting all-rounder or his retention makes no sense at all. If he's the 6th best test batsman in Oz then I'm a monkey's uncle!

well yeah, thats basically what i reckon.

they cant just 'shrug' his bowling off :/

ponting always uses symonds as a bowling option...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maison said:
ponting always uses symonds as a bowling option...
That might say more about the quality of Ponting's captaincy than it does about the quality of Symonds' bowling.