• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slater Officially Joins Channel Nine

howardj

International Coach
Good news for (the many millions of) Michael Slater fans was in the newspaper last Sunday. 'Slats' is going to be signed by Channel Nine, here in Australia. He has done the odd ING Cup game, and commentated on the Twenty20 last night, but hasn't, as yet, signed a contract with the Network. Anyway, when he returns from his Honeymoon, apparently he is going to 'ink' a long-term deal with them. Great news. Slats is insightful, analytical, fresh, and has a great sense of humour (basically the opposite of most of his soon-to-be colleagues :laugh: )

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Stuff Slater. Even though we all knew it would have to happen eventually, its great news :D He was excellent last night "Ian Healy said you were butterfingers!" Hahaha, loved it.

Deja moo

International Captain
Slater is good. This probably means he won't be commenting on India matches on ESPN-Star anymore ?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Depends on whether it clashes with any Aussie match at home. I think he would be available outside the Australian season, like Ian Chappell and others.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Couldn't have happened to a better bloke, but it probably means he won't be on ABC radio anymore :(

TIF

U19 Debutant
Good to hear the news. But hopefully, he still continues his commentary on ESPN-Star.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll only accept this if one of the other old-farts gets kicked out, the commentary box is far too crowded already.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Great news but I hope they get rid of one of the old guys like Chappell or Greig to make room.

Josh

International Regular
Mister Wright said:
I'll only accept this if one of the other old-farts gets kicked out, the commentary box is far too crowded already.
My bet is on Chappell or Lawry if anyone does go.

Did anyone else notice Bill just disappear from the commentry in the last test??

howardj

International Coach
Josh said:
My bet is on Chappell or Lawry if anyone does go.
Bloody Bill's on auto-pilot anyway, isnt he? I reckon you could turn down his microphone, put him in a room by himself, and he'd still happily babble on, blissfully unaware. :laugh:

PY

International Coach
Excellent, do Channel 9 have the Ashes next summer? He's probably one of my favourites from Channel 4 [UK] commentary team. :)

PY

International Coach
Some geniune laugh out louds found on this page about commentators. :D

First up:
"Every time we hear the news that Mark Nicholas is slithering into the commentary position my heart sinks. He is unbearably smug and self-satisfied. He's actually quite an insightful commentator and a good writer, but his grossly inflated sense of his own smooth deliciousness make me want to embark on a violent crime spree."

Bit off topic but this thread reminded me of reading it. :)

Blaze

Banned
Good move but I think he is down to do the West Indies in NZ tour in Feb as well. He is a great commentator and has been doing lots of stuff in NZ recently.

He did the NZ vs. Sri Lanka ODI in Napier and then the next day he was in Brisbane doing the 20/20.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
superb, some life in the irritating box a last.But i wonder who he will replace, i got a strong feeling they will just add him & the box will just become overcrowded.

Also if they do replace someone, blokes like Coward & O'Keefe should come in, its too bad Greg Chappell is India's coach he wa a good commentator.

Last edited: