• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Finger Spinner of all time ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Who do you rate as the best finger spinner ever ?

I feel its a tossup between Laker and Gibbs in tests, saqlain in ODIS.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Salamuddin Janissar is the most effective death bowler in ODIs, his toe crunching yorker is peerless.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
I rate Salamuddin Janissar, though he is edged out in the finger spinning stakes by Murali Kartik.

archie mac

International Coach
Laker for me, but I never saw him bowl, so for people I watched I think Prasanna (although I was only a kid so maybe he was a wrist spinner, but I remember him turning it a fair way)

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Of people I've watched, at his absolute best, Saqlain. Terrorised many batsmen when on song.

Btw, does anyone know how far Laker actually turned it? Only footage I've seen of his is OT 1956, and he certainly turned it square then, but I have no idea if he could do that on a normal pitch and not a spinner's paradise.

archie mac

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Of people I've watched, at his absolute best, Saqlain. Terrorised many batsmen when on song.

Btw, does anyone know how far Laker actually turned it? Only footage I've seen of his is OT 1956, and he certainly turned it square then, but I have no idea if he could do that on a normal pitch and not a spinner's paradise.
At the oval a great deal, I have seen a photo of him, and the gap between his first two fingers on his right hand is at least twice that of his left, which suggests he really spun the ball. Although when he came to Aust. he did not turn it a long way, but few right hand finger spinners have done that well in Aust.

PY

International Coach
I can't believe it's taken 14 posts to come up with the obvious winner.

Gil-o. :D
JP Mc. :p
Laker
etc

Tom Halsey

International Coach
archie mac said:
At the oval a great deal, I have seen a photo of him, and the gap between his first two fingers on his right hand is at least twice that of his left, which suggests he really spun the ball. Although when he came to Aust. he did not turn it a long way, but few right hand finger spinners have done that well in Aust.
Cheers. :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slats4ever said:
i think he spins just about everything... I reckon he could even spin a fridge.
Although no doubt some people would still complain he's chucking it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
according to my pops who saw both Laker, Gibbs & many other good finger spinners bowl at test at OT over the years his vote has gone to Laker

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
SJS said:
Of bowlers I have seen, Prasanna followed by Bedi.
Of all the Indian spinners you've undoubtedly seen, who would you say was the finest of Bedi, Chandrasekhar, Prasanna, Venkat, Kumble or Harbhajan?

shankar

International Debutant
LongHopCassidy said:
Of all the Indian spinners you've undoubtedly seen, who would you say was the finest of Bedi, Chandrasekhar, Prasanna, Venkat, Kumble or Harbhajan?
And a few lines describing each in comparison would be nice, if possible. :happy: ;)