• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden & MacGill NEED to be in Australia's World Cup Squad

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Umm not only were you telling me what you heard - you even passed te judgement that there is no chance of Warney playing the world cup.
well yea because of what he said himself after the perth test but recently things have changed so their is a possibilty now.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Mister Wright said:
It's not as if you're taking that much of a backward step 12 months out from the World Cup, especially when one has the best ever domestic one day bowling career statistics and the other has been a proven performer at the ODI level. It would be more risky playing a younger player less than 12 months our from the Cup.
Meh, stats say McGill and Hayden but my cricket-sense says Jaques and Cullen. We'll see what happens, the ball is in the selector's court.

Craig

World Traveller
aussie said:
well Kyle i have to disagree on both, yes Hayden is in good form but selecting him would be a backward step, if Katich has a bad run at the top Jaques should be given a go since he has been OD form as well. We have to look foward so Hayden cant come back in the OD team for me, let him concentrate on tests.

With MacGill he may have an outstanding domestic OD record but in the field & with the bat he is poor & those are area's cannot be overlooked. Warne wont be back in the OD team for the WC he said so very recently & Hogg has been a very good OD bowler & is excellent in the field & handy with the bat he should DEFINATELY be Australia's main spinner in the WC at least since White bowling isn't good enough has yet to obtain that role.

IF the WC were tomoro this would be my Aussie 12:

Jaques
Gilly
Punter
Marto
Symo
Pup
Mr.Cricket
Watto
Bing
Dizzy
Pigeon
Hogga - super-sub
Off topic, but surely they can come up with better nicknames then that :dry:

adharcric

International Coach
honestbharani said:
who is Mr.Cricket?
seriously, that sounds ********. if that's his real nickname, i feel sorry for him. if one of you made it up, i feel sorry for you.

Gideon

School Boy/Girl Captain
adharcric said:
seriously, that sounds ********. if that's his real nickname, i feel sorry for him. if one of you made it up, i feel sorry for you.
No one here made it up.. It's his actual nickname and was printed on the back of his twenty20 outfit.

'Huss' would be a better nickname and takes less time to say aswell

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well with the new news that Warne could probably play in the WC presuming that Hogg does badly in the next year, White doesn't come along this year & Cullen (if he gets a chance looks flat) MacGill really wont get a chance.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chooka_nick said:
Meh, stats say McGill and Hayden but my cricket-sense says Jaques and Cullen. We'll see what happens, the ball is in the selector's court.
Cullen is a good domestic one day bowler, but really doesn't have the figures to be knocking on the door of the national team yet. Whereas MacGill has plenty of experience and takes wickets, we could have done with him last night.

As far as Jaques goes, I'm quite happy for him to be in the team, but he needs to come in now. Everyone can see that Katich is struggling at the top of the order, so they (the selectors) need to make a decision on who is going to be at the top of the order and they need to do it soon. Be it Jaques or Hayden, although it would be a lot easier for the experienced and in form Hayden to take that role, as good as Jaques is and is likely to be, you could tell on his test debut even the jump from Australian domestic cricket to international cricket is higher than some think, so he will need time.

Last edited:

andyc

How is Katich struggling at the top of the order? He hit 60 against Sri Lanka. Gilchrist is the one struggling.

Mister Wright

andyc said:
How is Katich struggling at the top of the order? He hit 60 against Sri Lanka. Gilchrist is the one struggling.
He struggled to get to 60 didn't he? He was almost run out about 20 times.

As Roebuck said in the Herald today, when he's flourishing he is a quick run scorer and can get an innings going but when he's stuggling he brings the other batsman around him down with his inability to rotate the strike. Something Hayden could never be accused of, infact sometimes he gave away the strike to often with Gilly at the other end and his game suffered to some extent.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As Roebuck said in the Herald today, when he's flourishing he is a quick run scorer and can get an innings going but when he's stuggling he brings the other batsman around him down with his inability to rotate the strike. Something Hayden could never be accused of, infact sometimes he gave away the strike to often with Gilly at the other end and his game suffered to some extent.
That's funny; I remember the exact same accusation being labelled at Hayden for most of the 90's. That he couldn't rotate the strike, I mean. It was always said about him that he either had to smack fours or he wouldn't score because he didn't play with hands soft enough to nick and nudge singles/twos. It was only after he fixed that, in fact, that he made the Test side again. Your last sentence suggests he might have gone too far the other way!

What's my point? I dunno.............. that not being able to piece the gaps can be corrected maybe? :D