• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden & MacGill NEED to be in Australia's World Cup Squad

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mate, an average of 54.23 playing for four different clubs shows that Jaques is already fairly able.
Hasan Raza anyone?

Jaques certainly does good First Class and List A records, but thats not a guarentee to anything.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tom Halsey said:
Nothing wrong with the attacking bowlers in ODIs IMO - the best way to slow the rate is taking wickets.
Well that makes MacGill's economy rate sound even worse, doesnt it? He takes about once every twenty balls, yet he still gets hammered by the new batsmen when the run rate should be decreasing...

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Prince EWS said:
Hasan Raza anyone?

Jaques certainly does good First Class and List A records, but thats not a guarentee to anything.
Yeah fair enough. I just have a lot of faith in Jaques... I recon that he's a very good player.
The reason I like him so much is that he makes consistant runs in all forms of the game, anywhere he plays. Yeah, it doesn't guarentee anything yet, but I think he really will turn out to be a very good player.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I would be surprised if Warne doesnt actually return to limited overs cricket and plays for Australia in the world cup.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
I would be surprised if Warne doesnt actually return to limited overs cricket and plays for Australia in the world cup.
well he wont, i remember when the question was asked to him after the perth test his response to me says he all about test cricket right now.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Agree with neither; Haydos is batting well, yes, but I personally think it's because he doesn't have the added pressure of being a ODI opener. Slotting him in the ODI side would put pressure on his Test game again and I think if there's one thing the Aussie selectors have shown by putting Jacques in the Test side it's that they would like him in the ODI side soon.

As for MacGill, you're kidding. He's an excellent attacking ODI weapon, no doubt, but he's a slug in the field and can't bat, recent Test 29 notwithstanding. I mean, could anyone imagine him slapping 4's and 6's with 5 overs to go in the WC? I couldn't. He's been hard done by as far as Test selection goes but Cam White and Brad Hogg offer a lot more with the bat and in the field which is important in the ODI game. Also, with the ball, he has a tendency to be expensive and if someone like Sehwag or some of the newer SL hitters start having a dip at him, I don't think his figures would survive, even if he took 3 wickets for example.

To avoid being completely negative, I'll say who I think should be in the ODI side; Darren Lehmann. :p

agree with all of that

Gideon

School Boy/Girl Captain
aussie said:
well he wont, i remember when the question was asked to him after the perth test his response to me says he all about test cricket right now.
I think there is a slight possibility of him playing in the next world cup, especially if the super-sub rule is in place, he could be the super-sub or be subbed. That could help as he wont have to field for a long period of time.

Edit: I found an article about this aswell: http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17763172-23212,00.html , it's just spectulation atm but definately not out of the question.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chooka_nick said:
Mate, an average of 54.23 playing for four different clubs shows that Jaques is already fairly able.
An FC average means almost nothing when it comes to the pressures of International Cricket.

Otherwise we'd still see Ramprakash in the England middle order, and the likes of Trescothick, Vaughan, Simon Jones, etc. wouldn't ever have played for England.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
marc71178 said:
An FC average means almost nothing when it comes to the pressures of International Cricket.

Otherwise we'd still see Ramprakash in the England middle order, and the likes of Trescothick, Vaughan, Simon Jones, etc. wouldn't ever have played for England.
Yeah but it also showed his played well for a number of years. The potential is there.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Prince EWS said:
Well that makes MacGill's economy rate sound even worse, doesnt it? He takes about once every twenty balls, yet he still gets hammered by the new batsmen when the run rate should be decreasing...
It allows more accurate bowlers (like McGrath) to slow the run rate.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chooka_nick said:
Yeah but it also showed his played well for a number of years. The potential is there.
Ramprakash's shows that he's played well for nearly 20 seasons now - but it is irrelevant at International level.

Especially if you take into account the figures Corey posted showing how many batsmen in Australia are averaging highly in recent seasons.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
aussie said:
just telling you what i heard...
Umm not only were you telling me what you heard - you even passed te judgement that there is no chance of Warney playing the world cup.

tooextracool

International Coach
chooka_nick said:
maybe he should be given a run in the ODI side first? quite an impressive list A record, averaging 45 at an SR of 93.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
tooextracool said:
maybe he should be given a run in the ODI side first? quite an impressive list A record, averaging 45 at an SR of 93.
It would be a good idea. He's hit two scores of 150 in the ING cup this year (at least I think two, there's at least one coz I was watching it.
marc71178 said:
Ramprakash's shows that he's played well for nearly 20 seasons now - but it is irrelevant at International level.
Yes :mellow: but the potential is there. I think he'll do well, he certainly can.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:
Agree with neither; Haydos is batting well, yes, but I personally think it's because he doesn't have the added pressure of being a ODI opener. Slotting him in the ODI side would put pressure on his Test game again and I think if there's one thing the Aussie selectors have shown by putting Jacques in the Test side it's that they would like him in the ODI side soon.

As for MacGill, you're kidding. He's an excellent attacking ODI weapon, no doubt, but he's a slug in the field and can't bat, recent Test 29 notwithstanding. I mean, could anyone imagine him slapping 4's and 6's with 5 overs to go in the WC? I couldn't. He's been hard done by as far as Test selection goes but Cam White and Brad Hogg offer a lot more with the bat and in the field which is important in the ODI game. Also, with the ball, he has a tendency to be expensive and if someone like Sehwag or some of the newer SL hitters start having a dip at him, I don't think his figures would survive, even if he took 3 wickets for example.

To avoid being completely negative, I'll say who I think should be in the ODI side; Darren Lehmann. :p

(come on, you all knew I was going to say that).
Maybe fair enough on Hayden but I still think he's one of the best ODI openers in the country and if all else fails should be considered for the World Cup.

I think you're thinking along the wrong lines with MacGill you're talking about it as if it is an 11 man game. I'm sure with the inclusion of the supersub you would be limiting his time with the bat and in the field. I have a feeling by the time the World Cup comes around captains will be able to choose their subs after the toss. This is tailor made for MacGill.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chooka_nick said:
I still believe that making that choice would send Australia one step back. I say go with the youth... we have the players (Cullen for McGill, Jaques for Hayden) who are younger and will be more than able in 2007.

Oh for sure bro, a good allrounder. Do you like him or not?
It's not as if you're taking that much of a backward step 12 months out from the World Cup, especially when one has the best ever domestic one day bowling career statistics and the other has been a proven performer at the ODI level. It would be more risky playing a younger player less than 12 months our from the Cup.