• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe taken over by the government,all whites 'ousted'

Chubb

International Regular
I have already posted about this in the Zim Domestic thread.

I shall just reiterate that ZC must be banned and test status taken away permanently. This is a terribly sad day, the end of the saddest saga in cricket history and the team I have followed for nearly seven years. Goodbye, Zimbabwe. Thanks, I guess.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Zimbabwean cricket will be back. One day, Robert Mugabe will die, and the country can begin the long and arduous journey towards freedom. Until that day, Zimbabwe's cricketers will be welcomed into any other cricketing nation with open arms as players and as men. Today truly, truly sad day for cricket - one can only hope that eventually Zimbabwe will rise again.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I can't see it as anything more than the conclusion of a process that's been building for the best part of this century, breeding after the 1999 World Cup and fertilised through the gross inaction of every government and governing body throughout the last World Cup and the following Test and ODI series.

Seemingly every decision that has been taken has come from a standpoint of finance, masquerading under blankets and flags of convience labelled "security" and "morality". The leeches of Zanu-PF and ZC have sucked the blood from the national game and are beginning to devour its soul.

Their Test status must go, and the last two years ideally stripped from the record books. In fact, affiliate membership may also be a bridge too far. They have no place in any Internationally-recognised tournament or project. FIFA is entirely intolerant of any government intervening in a football association's affairs, and suspensions are often seen. The ICC must follow - it cannot possibly be seen to tacitly sponsor this any longer.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, way to go, Mugabe - way to "stick it to the man".

I remember the moron Idi (short for ''Idiot' - or it should have been) Amin and his machinations against basically everything that got in his way, presiding over a corrupt tribal government and finding a convenient scapegoat in the members of the Asian community in Uganda. The world turned a deaf ear and a blind eye until it was too late.

There's no difference between Uganda then and Zimbabwe now - the parallels are strikingly similar - only in cricket in Zimbabwe a few token non-ZanuPF members were tolerated and were able to exert at least some semblance of a stabilising influence on the more rabid elements of the ZCU. While Ebrahim and others remained, there was hope that the likes of even Tatenda Taibu might be enticed back into the fold, but I fear now the axe has been wielded for the last time.

It is time now for the ICC to not just merely suspend Zimbabwe from international cricket but to go a step further and expel them. They can always be brought back in when someone tops Mugabe (please let it be soon).

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
The ICC must act for once - boot them out of international cricket - ODI's too. The Zimbabweans don't seem to care and seem to think they'll get their test status back again. Tish.

R.I.P Zimbabwean cricket - too bad you jumped the shark.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
ICC need to get some legal expertise involved in trying to find some way to kick out Zimbabwe .

In fact it could be used for the future when Countries fail to reach certain criteria/standards required to play at International Level.

BTW, IF Zim want a coach - Tom Moody is available .

Craig

World Traveller
Tom Moody would be an idiot to go there, or any white person for that manner.

This bit here is what really got me: The white and Asian directors were left out for "their racial connotations and saving their own agendas and not government policy."

-----------------------------------------

When asked about the crisis in Zimbabwe, Malcolm Speed and his mates put their fingers in their ears and yell: "La la la la not listening, not listening, not listening, not listening, not listening".

Those who live in Queensland will know about the RACQ ad where a bloke is talking about cover for his boat (a dingey) when he ran into a charter boat ( :laugh: ), and his wife responds how he could miss a charter boat. Eventuall you see her running around the background with a towel covering her head (that is she couldn't see where she was going) yelling: "Charter boat? What Charter boat?"

Same situation except you can say this for the ICC.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why isnt the world doing anything about this bloke?

Oh, that's right, Zimbabwe doesnt have any oil.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
When asked about the crisis in Zimbabwe, Malcolm Speed and his mates put their fingers in their ears and yell: "La la la la not listening, not listening, not listening, not listening, not listening".

Those who live in Queensland will know about the RACQ ad where a bloke is talking about cover for his boat (a dingey) when he ran into a charter boat ( :laugh: ), and his wife responds how he could miss a charter boat. Eventuall you see her running around the background with a towel covering her head (that is she couldn't see where she was going) yelling: "Charter boat? What Charter boat?"

Same situation except you can say this for the ICC.
Onya, Craigos!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The latest news is that the players have ended their strike.

Clive Field (the players' representative) has said that they "No longer have issues of government interference, because it's now the case that government is in charge".

That statement frightens the life out of me, and suggests that there has been collusion, blackmail and threats.

Basically, Field and the players now know precisely where they stand - the Zimbabwean government are prepared to see the game killed off for their own perverted political ends and that they are screwed as never before.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Clive Field (the players' representative) has said that they "No longer have issues of government interference, because it's now the case that government is in charge".
I thats not contradictory, Im Andrew Symonds.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Prince EWS said:
I thats not contradictory, Im Andrew Symonds.
It's a veiled message that basically says "We know when we're beaten, but if we say anything we could be even more screwed than we actually are. Oh, and can we have our money from the last two series please?"

The ICC are due to make a statement within 24 hours, and the West Indies have set a deadline of the end of January for the itinerary (hotels, flights etc as opposed too the schedule) to be sorted.

Craig

World Traveller
If this series get cancelled then surely the WICB would be well within their rights to go looking for lost money from TV deals as compensation (sp)?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
If this series get cancelled then surely the WICB would be well within their rights to go looking for lost money from TV deals as compensation (sp)?
A difficult one.

If the series is cancelled, Zimbabwe WILL be thrown out of international cricket and then the only redress will be with the ICC.

Perhaps the West Indies will just hike the prices to the English for WC2007 to get their money back.

(It's a joke, Liam).