• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are Bangladesh Favourites to win the Youth World Cup ?

Mossadeque

Cricket Spectator
After Bangladesh defeated Sri Lanka and England convincingly in the recent u-19 tournament, there is a lot off speculation on whether Bangladesh can win the forthcoming youth world cup in SRi Lanka and claim their first international title ?

DO you think they are the favourites ? If not, who do you fancy to win ?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm possibly. But do remember that Australia have one certain JP McNamara

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Mossadeque said:
After Bangladesh defeated Sri Lanka and England convincingly in the recent u-19 tournament, there is a lot off speculation on whether Bangladesh can win the forthcoming youth world cup in SRi Lanka and claim their first international title ?

sure bangladesh have a good team....but Pakistan's is better. Pakistan are the defending champions and I feel they have an excellent chance of defending their title.

I think we can discount NZ and RSA - they are both rubbish. England are not much better and Australia's u-19 team is overrated.
WI could surprise as could SL on home turf.

thierry henry

International Coach
Do Bangladesh use their full internationals in this tournament? In recent years, if they had, I would've expected them to be favourites, as they have consistently had a host of full internationals under 19 years of age. In NZ and Aus it seems to be pretty rare for someone that young to have even played FC cricket.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
thierry henry said:
Do Bangladesh use their full internationals in this tournament? In recent years, if they had, I would've expected them to be favourites, as they have consistently had a host of full internationals under 19 years of age. In NZ and Aus it seems to be pretty rare for someone that young to have even played FC cricket.
I'm pretty sure Australia currently only has one FC player, Moises Henriques who debuted for the Blues a few days ago.

thierry henry

International Coach
When is the YWC btw? Will NZ be picking their team after the completion of the current u-19 tournament? I know a guy who rated himself an outside chance of making the NZ team but his name hasn't figured prominently in the results for Auckland so I have my doubts.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Mossadeque said:

No, have a look at this recent tournament http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/OTHERS/AAC-U19/

India, Pakistan or Australia to win

TIF

U19 Debutant
This is one international tournament where India are the firm favourites. India, has the best bunch of talented youngsters and won the Afro-Asian u-19 tournament with ease without losing a single match. That tournament included Bangladesh u-19, a team which did well recently and also Pakistan u-19, another favourites for the u-19 world cup.

Some players to watch out for in the u-19s are Gaurav Dhiman, Mayank Tehlan and Piyush Chawla(a 16-year old leg-spinner from Uttar Pradesh, who will take over from Anil Kumble after a few years once Kumble retires. He has already made a mark inall u-19 tournaments and domestic tournaments he played in 2005 and is most likely to make his intl debut in 2006.)

As for Bangladesh u-19, this will be a very good tournament for them. They did well in that Afro-Asian u-19 tourney, beating Pakistan, South Africa and Zimbabwe u-19 teams. They also did well in the u-19 tri-series involving Sri Lanka and England, beating England in all their matches and losing just once to Sri Lanka.

Going by the results shown in 2005, India to win the u-19 world cup edging past Bangladesh in the final.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmmm... in an attempt to "fit in" in this thread...

This is a tournament where Trinidad and Tobago is the favourite to win it all, and take second and third place too for good measure. What? Trinidad and Tobago isn't competing? Oh. Well, maybe the Jack McNamara XI.

Don

State Vice-Captain
liam wtf man speak clearly and make sense while ur at it.west indies team not as talented as the last but probably has a chance. players to watch the trinidad 4 jason mohammed ,sunil narine ,rishi bachan ,william perkins.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Don said:
liam wtf man speak clearly and make sense while ur at it.west indies team not as talented as the last but probably has a chance. players to watch the trinidad 4 jason mohammed ,sunil narine ,rishi bachan ,william perkins.
I see sarcasm is totally lost on you then. Such a shame really.

Mr Mxyzptlk

This, as opposed to you contributing something sensible to a thread that is only otherwise going to centre around nationalistic bias?

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
I must say I do like to see the minnows do well and its always great when a side like Bangladesh have such great promise for the future. I would love the Bangladeshi's to win or at least finish respectabl;y

thierry henry

International Coach
The New Zealand team has been announced. My boy Ronnie is in. I'm afraid he will be my personal favourite left-arm orthodox, and not Jack.

thierry henry

International Coach
NATIONAL UNDER-19 SQUAD

Team to compete in the ICC Under-19 World Cup in Sri Lanka from February 5-20.

Squad: M. Ellison (Auckland, captain), T. Astle (Canterbury, vice captain), D. Bartlett (Auckland), H. Bennett (Canterbury), A. De Boorder (Auckland), J. Donnelly (Auckland), N. Fitzgerald (Northern Districts), S. Fitzgibbon (Otago), M. Guptill (Auckland), R. Hira (Auckland), R. Karaitiana (Wellington), C. Munro (Auckland), K. Noema-Barnett (Otago), T. Southee (Northern Districts)

Non-travelling reserves: L. Guthrie (Otago), S. McLeod (Northern Districts), B. Stewart (Auckland)

Management: D. Hadlee (manager), D. Patel (Coach), S. Derry (Physiotherapist)