• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will make a big impact in 2006?

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
2005 had Flintoff, Pietersen and the like with some others like Akmal and Hussey making their mark late in the year.

Who will be the stars of 2006?

For me I'm expecting a big year from the following:

Hussey
Akmal
Pathan
Akhtar
Ponting
Fulton

to name a few

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The same people who did well last year, though im hoping for Gilchrist to kick to some ***

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
This is Simon Jones' year. He had a great 2005, but he's ready for an exceptional 2006.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Jamee999 said:
This is Simon Jones' year. He had a great 2005, but he's ready for an exceptional 2006.
Gotta agree with that, if he can keep fit I believe he will be England's finest quicky by some distance.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
This is the year everyone forgets about Graeme Thorpe, because Ian Bell becomes the mainstay of the England middle order.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just off the top of my head: Pathan, Akhtar, Hussey, Simon Jones, Butt and McGrath.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lee is now one of the world's best bowlers.

Even though he has produced good returns lately, they still do not reflect the quality of his bowling.

Afridi, shocking cheat that he is, is also on the rise.

Shane Bond is real quality - hope he remains fit.

Andre Nel has shown that he is more than just bluster.

Shoaib has produced one series where he has aligned talent with attitude.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
social said:
Afridi, shocking cheat that he is, is also on the rise
Agreed. Afridi could take off big style this year, particularly in Tests. He hasn't really fired in a World Cup as yet either, so he will be looking to cement his place in the ODI lineup.

My players to watch out for are Bell, Anderson, Plunkett, Shah, Afridi, Mohammad Asif, Pathan, Dhoni, Kaif, Yuvraj, Tillekaratne Dilshan, Bandara...

and Mushfiqur Rahim and Saqibul Hasan :p

Scaly piscine

I agree with Anderson and Plunkett, I think Anderson is gradually getting back to his best and Plunkett will keep improving leaps and bounds. I think one of them could well take Hoggard's Test spot by the end of 2006. Anderson should become a fixture in the ODI side.

social

Jungle Jumbo said:
Agreed. Afridi could take off big style this year, particularly in Tests. He hasn't really fired in a World Cup as yet either, so he will be looking to cement his place in the ODI lineup.

My players to watch out for are Bell, Anderson, Plunkett, Shah, Afridi, Mohammad Asif, Pathan, Dhoni, Kaif, Yuvraj, Tillekaratne Dilshan, Bandara...

and Mushfiqur Rahim and Saqibul Hasan :p
Im a big fan of Anderson and also hope that Colly does well.

Too early to tell re Plunkett. He was massively over-hyped in Pakistan by Botham, etc for my liking.

Havent seen enough (or any) of most of the other sub-continent players.

Really looking forward to the India-Pak series which will be beemed live here.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
What the? Where did you hear that?!!! :-O
That got me wondering as well...I haven't heard anything about that, but if it's true it's great. Although it won't matter to me for the first 2 Tests since I'll be in India at the time watching it there anyway. :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm doing a summer subject so I can't go anywhere :(

Man I really hope Fox Sports show it but I haven't heard any ads, and they normally only show series involving a "white" team. With the Eng vs. Pak series there was plenty of advertising and hype for the series around a month before it. I haven't seen any ads at all and the series starts in a few weeks.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
1. Dravid as India Captain
2. Irfan Pathan
3. Kamran Akmal
4. Md. Yousuf
5. Ian Bell (in the subcontinent)
6. Adam Gilchrist