• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Board calls for scrapping of Champions Trophy

Deja moo

International Captain
Sanz said:
Yes I was talking about ODIs. Pakistan have played them most followed by India/SL.

As for the hosting test series against BD, I dont understand the big deal, India have played 3 tests in BD and basically have not deprived them of their revnue they could have earned from tours. Now compare that to like Aus, SL who have not played a single series in BD. India have played more matches in BD than any other country.
Exactly! Just what I was mulling over a week ago. Any idiot knows that boards make more money when established nations tour them, rather than when they travel overseas.
India have toured Bangladesh twice. How many times has your team toured them, Vic ?

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Deja moo said:
Exactly! Just what I was mulling over a week ago. Any idiot knows that boards make more money when established nations tour them, rather than when they travel overseas.
So any idiot would know that you're more likely to lose money if you host Bangladesh?

Wait a second!
India have toured Bangladesh twice. How many times has your team toured them, Vic ?
I think we head there after we play South Africa. As we follow the ICC's plan thingy. ;) Unlike a certain team I know...

Australia - if India ask us not to!

Deja moo

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
So any idiot would know that you're more likely to lose money if you host Bangladesh?
You might not lose any, but you certaily wont make a lot. Bangladesh wont get Indian bums on the seats, either in the stadia, or in front of the telly. But touring them certainly is good for the financial health of their cricket, which is where the emphasis should be.

I think we head there after we play South Africa. As we follow the ICC's plan thingy. ;) Unlike a certain team I know...

The ICC plan thingy which forces you to play 5 tests and 2 ODI series in a row against England ;) ? Bravo!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Whatever you say, but India does more for the Bangladesh Cricket then Australia. Last year itself India invited Bangladesh to play in its domestic tournament (Duleep Trophy). As I said we have played more Tests in Bangladesh than any other country, we have played much more ODIs against BD than Australia has.

Wait a second!

Before you go any furthur on this, please open the ICC's 10 YEAR PLAN and tell us why Australia didn't tour Bangladesh in October 2003(according to ICC's plan that's when they were suppsoed to visit Bangladesh, may be BD wasn't safe enough for the aussies then ;) ). Or perhaps you could explain why Australia didn't host WI in Nov. 2004 ??

So much for followign the ICC schedule.

TIF

U19 Debutant
Sanz said:
Apparently India has played most matches against minnows since 2000, so I look for more minnow bashing from team India in next 5 years.
Also, India has lost a lot of matches against the minnows as well. 2 losses to Kenya, a loss to Bangladesh, a near loss to Holland in the world cup and a near loss to this Zimbabwe "B" team we saw after the player-strike. Add to it, even before 2000, we were the only team that lost to Sri Lanka when they were a non-test team way back in 1979 world cup.

I will not be surprised if we lose to any of these 6 non-test playing nations in an ODI in the next 2-3 years.

Deja moo

International Captain
TIF said:
Also, India has lost a lot of matches against the minnows as well. 2 losses to Kenya, a loss to Bangladesh, a near loss to Holland in the world cup and a near loss to this Zimbabwe "B" team we saw after the player-strike. Add to it, even before 2000, we were the only team that lost to Sri Lanka when they were a non-test team way back in 1979 world cup.

I will not be surprised if we lose to any of these 6 non-test playing nations in an ODI in the next 2-3 years.
Whats your point ? Australia lost to Bangladesh and Zimbabwe (their first meeting), England have lost to Zimbabwe (their first meeting too, IIRC), Pakistan have lost to Bangladesh, and also to Zimbabwe in a test series, Sl have lost to Kenya. Everybody loses to minnows at some point in time.

TIF

U19 Debutant
Deja moo said:
Whats your point ? Australia lost to Bangladesh and Zimbabwe (their first meeting), England have lost to Zimbabwe (their first meeting too, IIRC), Pakistan have lost to Bangladesh, and also to Zimbabwe in a test series, Sl have lost to Kenya. Everybody loses to minnows at some point in time.
The point is that the new Indian-board is refusing to play against minnows and wants to have more matches against the top teams. I only wanted to show that how an India v minnow match is also exciting and that India should play some matches against minnows as well.

Deja moo

International Captain
TIF said:
The point is that the new Indian-board is refusing to play against minnows and wants to have more matches against the top teams. I only wanted to show that how an India v minnow match is also exciting and that India should play some matches against minnows as well.
They're exciting once in a blue moon. India already play far too many matches against minnows.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
India already play far too many matches against minnows.
I dont care if they are exciting or not, I am happy as long as we play our share of games and not over do it. Since Jan 2000, India have played 39 ODIs vs. Minnows, followed by Pakistan's 33 and that IMO is over doing it.

The fact is that India play far too many ODIs to accomodate all the test playing nations on a regular basis. Some folks are saying that India doesn't want to host Bangladesh because we will lose money, well then how do you explain our Series against SL, Remember this is the first time we hosted SL since early 1998 which is almost 8 years.