• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Little and little known cricketing oddities

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Did you know that in the 1991 series between England and the West Indies, Richard Illingworth took a wicket with his first ball and his last ball was hit for six?

Unfortunately the little quirk is spoiled a bit because for a long time it looked as though they would be his first and last balls in Test Cricket but he made an unexpected come back against South Africa in 1995.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
There were a few instances in Durham games of batsmen being c Mustard b Onions last season. That's another name-related coincidence.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In 1977 Dennis Amiss hit the winning runs in the Second Test against Australia and was dropped for the next Test to make way for the return of Geoff Boycott after three years out of the team. 12 months later Graham Roope hit the winning runs in the First Test against New Zealand and he too was dropped for the next Test to make way for the return of Geoff Boycott who had missed the previous four Tests(3 v Pakerlesstan and 1 v New Zealand)through injury.

adharcric

International Coach
burkey_1988 said:
how silly ... now, the worrying part of all this is that either
a) you stole this fact from another source, in which case i shouldn't be thanking you for discovering it
OR
b) you have way too much time on your hands and have been looking through scorecard archives for something like a lillee-willey-dilley coincidence

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
In the underarm incident, Bruce Edgar was at the other end on 102. It is considered to be one of the most overlooked centuries of all time.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Although he played 60 Test Matches over a period of 12 years, Michael Holding never played Test Cricket against Pakistan.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
how silly ... now, the worrying part of all this is that either
a) you stole this fact from another source, in which case i shouldn't be thanking you for discovering it
OR
b) you have way too much time on your hands and have been looking through scorecard archives for something like a lillee-willey-dilley coincidence
I don't claim to have discovered it. I was just alerting those who are not aware to it. Lighten up buddy.

adharcric

International Coach
burkey_1988 said:
I don't claim to have discovered it. I was just alerting those who are not aware to it. Lighten up buddy.
no worries man, i wasnt being serious about it.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BlackCap_Fan said:
In the underarm incident, Bruce Edgar was at the other end on 102. It is considered to be one of the most overlooked centuries of all time.
Since the constant mention of the fact in the last 20 odds years, its actually become one talked about hundreds :p

Dissector

International Debutant
I mentioned this in another thread and it's probably quite well known to Indian fans but in a recent match against Zimbabwe, India dropped three catches off three consecutive balls. What was really amusing was that India had actually caught quite well before then and the commentators were going on about how their fielding had improved.