• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season 2006

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
So how come they won so many games then?

Bowling attack wise there's no contest between the 2 - the best Lancashire regular bowler averaged 28 or so...
He's not saying Sussex didn't deserve to win the cc, he's just disputing the suggestion that they have a strong squad, when the fact is they have a very good first team and not much else, and whereas the wickets for other teams were spread around, Sussex relied on Mushtaq, Lewry and Naved/Arafat for their wickets.

and i suppose Cork 42@25.5 and Chapple 41@27.41 don't count as regular bowlers

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
Strange events at the Rose bowl today. Chilton as his usual conservative nature wanted to make sure Lancs couldn't lose the match, said he was going to declare after lunch but changed his mind when Warne went through his routine of bowling bouncers and the like. Warne furious.

Personally, I'm not a fan at all of Chilton's captaincy (or much of a fan of him as player either, even though he did go to my school) and i was very annoyed at his decision not to enforce the follow on, I was extremely surprised(and somewhat dissapointed) at the decision not to declare today but i do think Shane Warne acts like a complete phallus in these situations, bowling 6 bouncers and over and getting his wicketkeeper to bowl and the like, just because opposition captains don't do what he wants.
From what i read Lancs position in the championship was safe, so why would you not make a game of it?

I certainly have no objection to Warne's efforts - showing up what a farce Lancs turned the game into.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
From what i read Lancs position in the championship was safe, so why would you not make a game of it?

I certainly have no objection to Warne's efforts - showing up what a farce Lancs turned the game into.
Well, i've already said that i disagreed Chilton's decisions, but i guess the thinking would be that they wouldn't want to finish what has been a decent season on a losing note when there is nothing to gain from gambling and also that they might expect Hampshire to be one of the challengers for the title next year and so they wouldn't want to give them any kind of pshychological advantage.

The thing about Warne is, he hasn't just done it today, that's about the third time this season he's done stuff like make everyone bowl, or have spinners bowl bouncers etc when he doesn't get his own way

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Samuel_Vimes said:
Any chance of surviving in division one when Roger Sillence and Kabir Ali opens the bowling, and Vikram Solanki and a 41-year-old is the mainstay of the batting? :p
:D:D

Well Ali is a good enough bowler for Division 1 imo, he isnt international class by a long way though. Khan hopefully will come back too. So that gives us 4 bowlers of:

Khan / Ali / Mason / Batty.

Thats 4 very good bowlers for my money at this level.

Batting has been our problem in recent years, but this year we seemed to be scoring for fun, although i think that will be our weak point.
I'm looking for great things from the Keeper Davies next year, and Hick will surely be as solid as ever.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Personally I'm glads Sussex won it, because I can't work out how Lancashire were able to play Kartik at the end of the season.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I really think that worcestershire squad was always good enough for Division 1 cricket... together we have signed Moeen Ali from Warwickshire and with Davies, Mitchell getting better we have a good batting unit.
If we keep the same overseas players and get a decent fast bowler in as well it will be a good season for worcestershire, we will not win it but will finish 4th just mark my words....

In other news Warwickshire are hitting crisis :)

Xuhaib

International Coach
The thing that surprised me the most about this match was how Warne who is probably the greatest spinner ever to play the game was relying on a sporting declaration for a chance to win rather then trying to bowl the opposition out.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Chris Benham, wow.

This great looks a great one day prospect, from what i've seen of him he hits the ball very clean and very hard.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Haha at Leicestershire chairman Neil Robertson who sent a text to our Somerset chairman saying "I can see why Somerset is the home of girls' cricket." Caused a right little outrage, but I'd call it an insult to girls cricket tbh..

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great end to the season for hampshire and Benham fulfills the potential he has been showing for the second half of the season.
Good to get promotion in the pro 40 to end what has been a frustrating season, lots of posotives especialy the batting which has improved no end. A few really bad performances at home though have cost them a chance at the title.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Haha at Leicestershire chairman Neil Robertson who sent a text to our Somerset chairman saying "I can see why Somerset is the home of girls' cricket." Caused a right little outrage, but I'd call it an insult to girls cricket tbh..
I'm surprised a county chairman knew how to send a text.

pinchy81

[URL="http://www.cricinfo.com/countycricket/content/story/260508.html']List of retiring players here[/URL]

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
^ Link not working. Needs to have the " " removed.

Anyway, interesting to see Dawson released. Anyone know where he may end up?

Hats off to players that have or are likely to retire such as the Bicknells and Blakey. Thanks for the memories. :D

Anna

So far Somerset have released Simon Francis & Mike Parsons; signed Mark Turner, Stefan Kieswetter, Steffan Jones, Ben Phillips & Cam White and Richard Johnson is yet to make up his mind.