Cricket Betting Site Betway

Thread: An english winter season?

An english winter season?

Now before the jokes about bowlers using snowballs and umpires turning into snowmen are trotted out i would like to put forward an idea about constructing winter tours for the counties.

At the moment it's pretty much upto the players to organise their winters either by playing grade-cricket in Australia or eating mars bars on the sofa.

But i'm thinking wouldn't it be a good idea if the ECB organised it so that all the counties would take part in other countries first-class competitions.

With 8 strong domestic competitions and with 18 counties that's easily 2 a country, and the benefits are:

- Players develop into more rounded cricketers having played in different environments.
    - No overseas players would allow for more chances for younger players.
    - General fitness would improve as crickteters start playing all year round.
    - Older players who don't fancy that much cricket would allow for new talent to emerge.
    - Teams would become more competitive.
    - Managers would spot talents they could have as an overseas spot in the summer.

Now of course a lot of clubs simply don't have the money to contract players all-year round and the players would have to make do with just room and board plus a bit extra, but the whole point of this would be to make yourselves noticed to the county and country.

Now of course it would be players and counties decisions to go on these regular tours but i would think IMO the benefits would be overwhelming.

Any opinions? Questions?

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar

im sure the benefits might be overwhelming, im not sure these other countries would see it that way.

Hey thats okay you just come and join in our competition that's great.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    It would demean all the other domestic competitions. The Ranjit Trophy should be an Indian competition etc.

International Coach
    Not necessarily taking part in their competitions, but going on tour and arranging friendlies against their first class sides there shouldn't be much of a problem.
    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

England A and Bangladesh (U19?) have played in the Duleep Trophy recently. We'll be having the South African domestic champs over this time, I think. The Ranji Trophy Competition is of course, as all national championships should be, untouchable.
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Well maybe not in the competitions but at the same time i wouldn't want them facing second XI's all the time either, these are meant to improve sides and put these to the test against good opposition in different environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    It would demean all the other domestic competitions. The Ranjit Trophy should be an Indian competition etc.
    Well England A took part in the duleep trophy surely you have nothing wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    Not necessarily taking part in their competitions, but going on tour and arranging friendlies against their first class sides there shouldn't be much of a problem.
    Some counties do that anyway. Lancashire have been on tour to South Africa a fair bit, and Leicestershire went to Pakistan last winter. Thats probably the best way to do it, playing friendlies. Maybe friendly tournaments (like in the close of the football season) could be arranged, with teams from different countries taking part.

So as long as it doesn't take place in the FC competitions people are okay with it?

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    as jumbo said they already do go on tour

Quote Originally Posted by Autobahn
    Well England A took part in the duleep trophy surely you have nothing wrong with that?
    Duleep Trophy is a little different: rather than being played as a real, competitive tournament it is played between representative zones. The zones are huge and cover so many different backgrounds, so there is less of a 'team feeling'. IMO they serve well as competitive higher level cricket, but there is less emphasis on winning.

Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    as jumbo said they already do go on tour
    But what i saying is that maybe they should take part in the List-A comps and play against real sides like what Scotland do at the moment.

So as long as it doesn't take place in the FC competitions people are okay with it?
    But what i saying is that maybe they should take part in the List-A comps and play against real sides like what Scotland do at the moment.
    Nope, not in my opinion. If the FC competition is for domestic teams only, then the corresponding List A competitipn should be as well.

In the pre-season tour teams are less interested in playing full throttle, competitive cricket - the tour is more about team bonding, practice, finding form, trying out new players and tactics.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Constructive and competitive A side itineries should be good enough.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Now before the jokes about bowlers using snowballs and umpires turning into snowmen are trotted out i would like to put forward an idea about constructing winter tours for the counties.

At the moment it's pretty much upto the players to organise their winters either by playing grade-cricket in Australia or eating mars bars on the sofa.

But i'm thinking wouldn't it be a good idea if the ECB organised it so that all the counties would take part in other countries first-class competitions.

With 8 strong domestic competitions and with 18 counties that's easily 2 a country, and the benefits are:

- Players develop into more rounded cricketers having played in different environments.
    - No overseas players would allow for more chances for younger players.
    - General fitness would improve as crickteters start playing all year round.
    - Older players who don't fancy that much cricket would allow for new talent to emerge.
    - Teams would become more competitive.
    - Managers would spot talents they could have as an overseas spot in the summer.

Now of course a lot of clubs simply don't have the money to contract players all-year round and the players would have to make do with just room and board plus a bit extra, but the whole point of this would be to make yourselves noticed to the county and country.

Now of course it would be players and counties decisions to go on these regular tours but i would think IMO the benefits would be overwhelming.

Any opinions? Questions?

I wouldnt be surprised to see something like this happen. Eventually, not yet.
    the game simply isnt popular enough at this level.

I believe crowds can and will grow, especially if the game can move towards the style of play as on show in the ashes.
    If that happens then all sorts of things could happen, including international competition, possibly even a merger of the australian and english competitions as teams from both nations could then stage more home games during their summers.

But its a long way off. Crowds need to increase by about 1000% first

Thread Information