• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England team awarded MBEs

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but I don't see the All Blacks getting a similar honour because they beat the Lions, won the tri-nations and won the grand-slam. It's a bit over the top if you ask me.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
Anil said:
they got awarded for excellent performances, great...having said that, what is the relevance of the obe and the mbe when there is no british empire anymore? :)
well whats the point of Lord´s cricket ground carrying that name considering mr Lord has been dead for a 150 years or something. Its just a name

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tim said:
Yeah but I don't see the All Blacks getting a similar honour because they beat the Lions, won the tri-nations and won the grand-slam. It's a bit over the top if you ask me.
Its just that very few brits would question which athletes NZ chose to honour in which way.
and still they arent simply honoured for winning. If winning became routine, they wouldnt get honours.

Kicking football off the back pages, even the tabloids, for a while is worthy of honours itself

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Yeah but I don't see the All Blacks getting a similar honour because they beat the Lions, won the tri-nations and won the grand-slam.
Firstly, does NZ have an Honours system like that?

Secondly, did NZ just win the World Cup?

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
JASON said:
This despite the Queen being a Woman herself !! :mellow:

The Womens Team won the Ashes after a long hold by the Aussies in Womens ashes as well. Talk about double standards . :huh: Particularly when even team manager of the mens team, and all bar the baggage boy gets OBEs !! :D
Its not double standards, its just that people chose to ignore the reasons for the honours.

In my opinion honours should mainly be given to sports with major public interest. Or at least for other sports it should take something very special.

Why honour, say the british volleyball team. no point as too few care.

Besides popular sports, women´s sport and handicap sports should be in line for honours as they help advance sports for minorities, well in a sporting sense, women are a minority.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon NZ sweeping the Lions, winning the tri-nations and sweeping the grand-slam is on a par with the Ashes win.

Michael Campbell was given an order of merit for his US Open win, im not sure if any other sports teams or sporting people gained orders of merit here.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:
I reckon NZ sweeping the Lions, winning the tri-nations and sweeping the grand-slam is on a par with the Ashes win. .

Sorry.

Nothing to do with puffs rugby (apart from banning the abomination) warrants comparison with an Ashes win.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
swede said:
well whats the point of Lord´s cricket ground carrying that name considering mr Lord has been dead for a 150 years or something. Its just a name
not a valid comparison...anyway it doesn't make any difference, just sounded stupid, that's all....

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Firstly, does NZ have an Honours system like that?
The New Zealand Order of Merit, which came in after we got rid of the British system in about 1999...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
Puffs rugby?
Rugby onions.

Always called it that (to distinguish it from God's own game Rugby League) right back in the 1960's when it (union) was a game for hooray henrys only.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Rugby onions.

Always called it that (to distinguish it from God's own game Rugby League) right back in the 1960's when it (union) was a game for hooray henrys only.
So why does nothing in rugby union compare to an Ashes win? Actually, considering the respective strengths of the teams over the last 100 years or so, I'd say a win in a NZ v South Africa series warrants more than a passing comparison, bearing in mind the global nature of both sports.

Don't let your love of "stop, drop and roll" cloud your judgement.

FuzzyDuck

Cricket Spectator
JASON said:
This despite the Queen being a Woman herself !! :mellow:

The Womens Team won the Ashes after a long hold by the Aussies in Womens ashes as well. Talk about double standards . :huh: Particularly when even team manager of the mens team, and all bar the baggage boy gets OBEs !! :D
The honours list is decided by the government of the day (i.e. Tony Blair and the Labour party) and not the Queen.She still "approves" the list and hands the gongs out however.

Cloete

International Captain
I dunno, just reaffirms how pointless it is for Australia to still be a member of the Commonwealth. Realistically the Queen shouldn't have chosen sides in the Ashes, but when she was asked she said of course she was going for England. The monarch is supposed to hold all members of the Commonwealth on equal footing. Realistically the Australians should have got MBE's and OBE's for their '99 World Cup win, 99 World Cup rugby win and other such occurances.

Still, I see no problem with these awards being dished out. As has been said, they're basically just there to honour a good performance. They're nothing special. My only problem is with the reluctancy (read: It never happens) of the Queen to give such awards to other countries that are part of the Empire (Well, probably more commonwealth).

FuzzyDuck

Cricket Spectator
Cloete said:
I dunno, just reaffirms how pointless it is for Australia to still be a member of the Commonwealth. Realistically the Queen shouldn't have chosen sides in the Ashes, but when she was asked she said of course she was going for England. The monarch is supposed to hold all members of the Commonwealth on equal footing. Realistically the Australians should have got MBE's and OBE's for their '99 World Cup win, 99 World Cup rugby win and other such occurances.

Still, I see no problem with these awards being dished out. As has been said, they're basically just there to honour a good performance. They're nothing special. My only problem is with the reluctancy (read: It never happens) of the Queen to give such awards to other countries that are part of the Empire (Well, probably more commonwealth).
You can't have it both ways: you have a vote to chuck her out as monarch, replace her picture with the ugly side of the Addams family on your money and then you expect her to support you in the cricket? Get real :)

And just to re-iterate the govt. decide who get the gongs, so they pander to popular opinion. As there are no votes in giving gongs abroad, especially where England have been beaten by the commonwealth team in question, there won't be any gongs no matter what the queen wants.

Cloete

International Captain
FuzzyDuck said:
You can't have it both ways: you have a vote to chuck her out as monarch, replace her picture with the ugly side of the Addams family on your money and then you expect her to support you in the cricket? Get real :)

And just to re-iterate the govt. decide who get the gongs, so they pander to popular opinion. As there are no votes in giving gongs abroad, especially where England have been beaten by the commonwealth team in question, there won't be any gongs no matter what the queen wants.
The vote for a republic never passed and we never replace her on our coin! So technically we're still a full-fledged member of the british empire.

That isn't the standard picture on the front o fthe coin, but it was the newest picture of a coin I could find.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
And England did in Cricket, didn't they ? :D :laugh:
I was using the rugby analogy - that was all that got them that award.

In terms of impact, the Ashes 2005 are easily the same as RWC 2003.